Caledonian Railway

Introduction

Motto: Nemo me impune lacessit

This line provided a service from Carlisle to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Greenhill (near Falkirk). The company acquired other lines and later the services encompassed Aberdeen, Dundee, Forfar, Perth, Stirling, Oban, Ardrossan, Peebles and a large number of other locations.

The line given here was the original route of the Caledonian Railway before it purchased and built many more lines. Today there are plans to re-open the closed station at Beattock.

The company is studied and history preserved by the Caledonian Railway Association .



Dates

31/07/1845[Caledonian Railway]
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1846[Caledonian Railway]
Act for branch from Slateford to Granton rejected by Government
  /  /1846[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Act for Caledonian Railway branch from Slateford to Granton rejected by Government.
  /  /1846[Polloc and Govan Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Polloc and Govan Railway merged with Caledonian Railway
  /  /1846[Clydesdale Junction Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Clydesdale Junction Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
01/01/1846[Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway merged with the Caledonian Railway
  /  /1847[Edinburgh Station and Branches] ([Caledonian Railway])
Slateford to Haymarket ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]) Act passed
  /  /1847[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Act passed for a line from Motherwell to Bankhead (beyond Coalburn). The Caledonian fail to build the line.
  /  /1847[Glasgow Paisley and Greenock Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway. Alternative date; 1851.
10/09/1847[Caledonian Railway]
Carlisle to Beattock opened.
15/02/1848Caledonian Railway
Beattock to Glasgow (Buchanan Street) and Edinburgh (Lothian Road) opened. The stations at Abington and Elvanfoot on its main line are used by the lead mines and villages at Leadhills and Wanlockhead.
07/08/1848[Caledonian Railway]
Castlecary Branch opened from Gartsherrie North Junction to Greenhill Lower Junction to meet the [Scottish Central Railway].
  /  /1849[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Wishaw and Coltness Railway merged with Caledonian Railway.
17/09/1849[Hamilton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Newton to Hamilton opened.
  /  /1851[Glasgow Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
24/07/1851[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Line re-authorised (this time independently but backed by the Caledonian Railway); route Motherwell to Ferniegair to Coalburn to Bankend, branch to Northfield.
  /  /1853[Edinburgh Station and Branches] ([Caledonian Railway])
Slateford to a bay platform by the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]s Haymarket station opened. Trains could run from the bay to Carstairs or Falkirk.
05/01/1855[Lanark Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Opened to goods.
  /08/1855[Blairgowrie Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Wooden shed at Blairgowrie opened.
01/12/1856[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Motherwell to Coalburn opened to minerals.
  /  /1857[Granton Branch] (Duke of Buccleuch and [Caledonian Railway])
Line authorised.
08/10/1857[Motherwell Deviation Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Line opened from Jerviston Junction ([Wishaw and Coltness Railway]) to Lesmahagow Junction ([Clydesdale Junction Railway]). The line allowed Motherwell station to be moved further west from Flemington to Lesmahagow Junction. Motherwell (Old) became Flemington and Motherwell (New) was opened in the V of the junction at Lesmahagow Junction. A large viaduct was required by Braidhurst.
  /  /1858[Granton Branch] (Duke of Buccleuch and [Caledonian Railway])
Construction begins.
21/07/1859[Wilsontown Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Act receives Royal assent
  /  /1860[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Northfield branch opened.
  /  /1860[Blairgowrie Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
New two road Blairgowrie shed built in stone.
  /  /1861[Symington Biggar and Broughton Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1861[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Nethan viaduct showing severe wear and tear, later Ferniegair bridge also shows wear both replaced, Ferniegair bridge still in use as part of the Hamilton Circle line.
24/06/1861[Switchback] ([Caledonian Railway])
Rutherglen to Dalmarnock goods opened along with a bridge over the River Clyde.
30/07/1861[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Branch line authorised from Larkhall to Cots Castle (Stonehouse).
28/08/1861[Granton Branch] (Duke of Buccleuch and [Caledonian Railway])
Line opened to freight.
07/08/1862[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Crew Junction ([Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) to Leith Western Docks authorised.
01/09/1862[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Opened from Larkhall to Canderside to goods.
01/11/1862[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
North Southfield to Southfield opened to minerals.
  /  /1863[Granton Branch] (Duke of Buccleuch and [Caledonian Railway])
The [Caledonian Railway] buys the Duke of Buccleuchs share in the line.
11/05/1863[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Caledonian Railway authorised to double Motherwell to Southfield and to run passengers trains to Brocketsbrae, the Stonehouse branch and the Blackwood branch. The Caledonian Railway owns the Lesmahagow lines by this time.
  /  /1864[Hamilton and Strathaven Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Hamilton and Strathaven Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
01/04/1864[Lanark Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Line doubled on opening of [Douglas Branch] ([Caledonian Railway]).
01/09/1864[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dalry Junction to Coltbridge Junction ([Granton Branch] (Duke of Buccleuch and [Caledonian Railway])) opened.
01/09/1864[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith line opened.
01/09/1864[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Pilton Junction West to Pilton Junction East opened.
01/09/1864[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Canderside to Cots Castle opened to minerals. This leads to the singling of [Hamilton and Strathaven Railway] south of quarter.
01/11/1864[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Motherwell to Southfield junction line doubling complete.
  /  /1865[Scottish Central Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Scottish Central Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /  /1865[General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /  /1865[Dumfries Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
20/09/1865[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Rutherglen to Coatbridge opened to goods
  /  /1866[Scottish North Eastern Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Scottish North Eastern Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
01/08/1866[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Rutherglen to Coatbridge opened to passengers
01/12/1866Coalburn Branch] (Caledonian Railway)
Passenger services start; bus runs between Hamilton and Ferniegair [1st] for route to Glasgow's South Side; the main route through to Buchanan Street. Blackwood carriage dropped at Southfield Junction and taken on separately.
01/12/1866[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Ferniegair to Brocketsbrae, Stonehouse Branch, Blackwood Branch opened to passengers.
  /  /1867Forth and Clyde Canal
[Caledonian Railway]
Forth and Clyde Canal (and various assets such as the [Grangemouth Railway]) bought by Caledonian Railway to compete with the [North British Railway] in the Forth Clyde Valley.
01/03/1867[Dolphinton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Carstairs to Dolphinton opened
01/04/1868[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Ferniegair to Motherwell, Lesmahagow junction opened to passengers.
01/09/1868[East Kilbride Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Opened.
  /  /1869[Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway authorised (Glasgow and South Western Railway and Caledonian Railway).
  /  /1869[Crieff and Methven Junction Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Crieff and Methven Junction Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
09/07/1869[Cleland and Midcalder Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Line opened
  /  /1870[Caledonian Railway]
Opens Kingmoor Locomotive depot.
18/07/1872[Hamilton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Hamilton West to Ross Junction (Ferniegair) authorised.
18/07/1872[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Hamilton West to Ross Junction (Ferniegair) authorised.
10/10/1872[Caledonian Railway]
Strawfrank curve opened
  /  /1874[Balerno Loop] ([Caledonian Railway])
Opened
30/06/1874[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]) authorised
  /  /1876[Wilsontown Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Opened with a triangular junction on the Edinburgh branch of the [Caledonian Railway]. A passenger service ran from Auchengray (where there was a bay platform) to Wilsontown.
29/05/1876[Hamilton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to freight.
29/05/1876[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Hamilton West to Ross Junction opened to freight.
03/07/1876[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction ([Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]) opened. The [Caledonian Railway] had running powers to Larbert from here.
18/09/1876[Hamilton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to minerals.
18/09/1876[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Hamilton West to Ross Junction opened to minerals.
02/10/1876[Hamilton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to passengers.
02/10/1876[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Hamilton West to Ross Junction opened to passengers.
  /  /1877[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
The Leadhills Silver-lead Mining Company approaches the [Caledonian Railway] to ask them to build a branch to Leadhills. The line is not built.
  /  /1877[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Brocketsbrae shed opened to the east of Lesmahagow station. At the time this was the limit of the passenger service.
12/04/1877[Switchback] ([Caledonian Railway])
London Road opened for goods.
27/11/1877[East Kilbride Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Locomotive shed at East Kilbride authorised
  /05/1878[East Kilbride Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Locomotive shed opened at East Kilbride.
01/04/1879[Switchback] ([Caledonian Railway])
London Road opened for passengers. Stations at; Rutherglen, Dalmarnock and London Road.
01/08/1879[Glasgow Central Station] ([Caledonian Railway])
Glasgow Central opened
01/08/1879[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Passenger service starts. Stations opened at Craigleith, Murrayfield, Granton Road, Newhaven, Leith North. This required the opening of a new line between Newhaven Junction and Leith North for passenger services.
  /  /1880Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway
[Caledonian Railway]
[North British Railway]
Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway).
  /  /1880[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Lock Street Viaduct built over the Monkland Canal to extend the line from Coatbridge to Airdrie
01/06/1880[Wishaw Deviation Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Law junction to Holytown opened. Stations opened at Wishaw Central and Overtown Waterloo.
  /  /1881[Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway]
[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
The rail served Edinburgh Dock at Leith opened.
01/10/1881[Wishaw Deviation Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Overtown Waterloo re-named Overtown.
  /  /1882[Busby Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Busby Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
01/07/1882[Cleland and Midcalder Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Addiewell opened
27/04/1883[Caledonian Railway][North British Railway][Alloa Railway][South Alloa Branch]
North British Railway given running powers over the Alloa Railway and South Alloa Branch from Alloa to Greenhill Junction on payment of £3000 annually to the Caledonian Railway.
14/07/1884[Alloa Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Alloa Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
19/04/1886[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Airdrie branch (Caledonian Railway) opened for goods
01/06/1886[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Airdrie branch (Caledonian Railway) opened for passengers
02/08/1886[Switchback] ([Caledonian Railway])
Extension from London Road to Blochairn goods opened.
  /  /1887[Blairgowrie Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
42ft turntable installed at Blairgowrie.
01/09/1887[Airdrie and Newhouse Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Cairnhill Junction to Chapehall opened
  /  /1888[Lancaster and Carlisle Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Involved in the railway races to Edinburgh!
02/07/1888[Airdrie and Newhouse Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Newhouse to Chapelhall opened
  /  /1889[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith New Lines planned; (Newhaven to Leith passenger terminus by [North British Railway]s Leith station, a triangular junction at Lochend with a line to Princes Street under the city with a branch to Waverley Market by Waverley station)
  /  /1889[Glasgow Central Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Glasgow Central Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway. Alternative date 31/5/1890
01/06/1889Gourock Extension (Caledonian Railway)
Opened from Greenock Central to Gourock via the Newton Street Tunnel. A new pier was built at Gourock. Stations opened; Gourock, Fort Matilda, Greenock West and Greenock re-built as Greenock Central.
  /  /1890[Balerno Loop] ([Caledonian Railway])
Villa building starts around Colinton
04/07/1890[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Act received for a line from Newhaven to Seafield (Seafield Junction was for the line to the terminus and the [North British Railway] lines)
25/07/1890[Barnton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Craigleith to Cramond Bridge authorised.
  /  /1892Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line
[Caledonian Railway]
[North British Railway]
Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway).
01/08/1893[Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /  /1894Forfar and Brechin RailwayCaledonian Railway
Forfar and Brechin Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
01/03/1894[Barnton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Craigleith to Cramond Bridge opened.
26/11/1894[Hamiltonhill Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Balornock Junction to Hamiltonhill opened.
26/11/1894[Switchback] ([Caledonian Railway])
Blochairn to Blackhill opened
01/04/1895[Hamiltonhill Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Branch to the Saracen foundry opened, but has to be closed as it was in breach of a formal agreement with the [North British Railway] which owned the nearby [Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway].
01/11/1895[Switchback] ([Caledonian Railway])
London Road closed
  /  /1896[East Kilbride Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
East Kilbride locomotive shed shut before this date.
  /  /1896[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Construction of line from Stonehouse ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) to Blackwood ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) begins.
  /  /1896[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Construction of line from Alton Heights ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) to Blackwood ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) begins.
  /  /1896[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Construction of line from Larkhall, Merryton Junction, ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) to Stonehouse ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) begins.
  /  /1896[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Construction of line from Cots Castle ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) to Strathaven Central ([Hamilton and Strathaven Railway]) begins.
  /  /1896[Solway Junction Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Solway Junction Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /  /1896[Dolphinton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Turntable provided at Dolphinton to the west of the station, there may also have been a locomotive shed.
11/03/1896[Switchback] ([Caledonian Railway])
Balornock Junction to Robroyston opened.
  /  /1897[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Light Railway order for the Leadhills and Wanlockhead Railway, the route to be by the Elvan Water rather than by up Glen Gonnar.
  /  /1898[Crieff and Comrie Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Crieff and Comrie Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /  /1899[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Construction of the line begins. Robert McAlpine employs approximately 100 men to build the line.
02/07/1900[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dalry Road station opened. Used by Leith, [Barnton Branch], Stirling and Falkirk bound trains.
  /  /1901[Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway.
01/10/1901[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Elvanfoot to Leadhills opened. (Alternative date 5/10/1901).
  /  /1902[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Seafield Engine Shed (a two road shed, with coaling facilities and sidings) opened.
  /  /1902[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Rispin Cleugh viaduct built by Sir Robert McAlpine.
  /  /1902[Moffat Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Moffat Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /  /1902[Lochearnhead St Fillans and Comrie Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1902[Paisley and Barrhead District Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Paisley and Barrhead District Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
19/09/1902[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leadhills to Wanlockhead opened to goods.
12/10/1902[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leadhills to Wanlockhead opened for passengers.
01/11/1902[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Granton Gasworks station (private) opened on a short branch by Breakwater Junction.
01/04/1903[Barnton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Cramond Brig renamed Barnton.
01/04/1903[Barnton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Barnton Gate renamed Davidsons Mains.
01/08/1903[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Double track line opened to freight from Newhaven Junction to Seafield Junction and South Leith. (Two-platform passenger stations at Newhaven, Ferry Road and Leith Walk West built but not opened).
  /  /1905[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Lesmahagow renamed Brocketsbrae.
01/07/1905[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Larkhall, Merryton Junction, ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) to Stonehouse ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) opened.
01/07/1905[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Stonehouse ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) to Blackwood ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) opened.
01/07/1905[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Alton Heights ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) to Blackwood ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) opened.
01/07/1905[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Cots Castle ([Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])) to Strathaven Central ([Hamilton and Strathaven Railway]) opened.
  /  /1906[Glasgow Central Station] ([Caledonian Railway])
Central station enlarged and a massive new bridge across the River Clyde opened.
  /  /1906[Dolphinton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Locomotive shed at Dolphinton.
  /  /1908[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Pilrig Street, a temporary station, opened for a Military review.
28/02/1909[Glasgow Central Station] ([Caledonian Railway])
Enlarged Eglinton Street station opened.
16/08/1909[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway] absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /08/1910[Douglas Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Some doubling of the Douglas Branch to Lanark Racecourse took place in preparation for the Lanark Aviation meeting and the huge number of expected visitors. Lanark Race-course station was by the meeting site
  /  /1913[Bankfoot Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Bankfoot Light Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
01/10/1914[East Kilbride Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
East Kilbride to Hamilton (Hunthill Junction) closed
  /  /1915[Caledonian Railway]
By this date lodging dormitories for enginemen existed at Carlisle, Grangemouth and Oban.
  /05/1915[Caledonian Railway]
Military procession in memory of those killed in the Quintinshill Disaster
22/05/1915[Caledonian Railway]
Quintinshill disaster, Britains worst train crash. 227 people killed when a troop train crashes into a local passenger train and an express trains collides with the wreckage.
31/12/1915[Dolphinton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dolphinton shed closed.
  /  /1917[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Line singled.
  /  /1917[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Seafield Engine shed leased to the [North British Railway].
01/01/1917[Wishaw Deviation Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Overtown closed.
01/01/1919[Wishaw Deviation Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Overtown re-opened.
  /  /1920[Wilsontown Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Line was probably extended about this date 3.5 miles west to Kingshill Colliery No 2. There may already have been a short section open between Wilsontown and to the west of Climpy Road.
01/01/1923Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway
Caledonian Railway
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Callander and Oban Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Highland Railway
Cathcart District Railway
Killin Railway
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee
Brechin and Edzell District Railway
Dornoch Light Railway
Wick and Lybster Light Railway
Grouped into London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
01/10/1923[East Kilbride Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
East Kilbride to Hamilton (Hunthill Junction) re-opened
14/07/1924[East Kilbride Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
East Kilbride to Hamilton (Hunthill Junction) closed to passengers (Occasional special workings until World War II)
28/07/1930[Bonnybridge Canal Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Bonnybridge to Greenhill Junction closed to passengers
01/12/1930[Airdrie and Newhouse Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Newhouse to Airdrie closed to passengers
  /08/1932[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Brocketsbrae shed, pit and siding removed. Shed closed not long after 1923.
  /05/1933[Dolphinton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dolphinton shed removed.
01/12/1934[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
East Pilton station opened.
05/01/1935[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Stonehouse to Dalserf closed to passengers
23/02/1935[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Stonehouse East Junction to Canderside Sidings closed to freight
18/11/1935[East Kilbride Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Mavor and Coulsons siding, East Kilbride to Hunthill Junction closed to freight
01/02/1937[Barnton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
House O Hill Halt opened.
  /  /1938[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Line closed.
  /  /1939[Airdrie and Newhouse Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Chapelhall to Calderbank closed to freight
02/01/1939[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Wanlockhead to Elvanfoot closed to all traffic.
11/09/1939[Balerno Loop] ([Caledonian Railway])
Balerno - Ravelrig Junction closed to passengers
11/09/1939[Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway]
[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Douglas West (Poneil Junction) to Brocketsbrae closed to passengers (except a Saturdays only train using Alton Heights to Brocketsbrae until 2nd May 1942).
31/07/1941[Airdrie and Newhouse Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Calderbank to Airdrie closed to freight
  /  /1942[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Granton Gasworks station closed.
  /01/1942[Blairgowrie Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Blairgowrie shed closed, but not demolished. A sub-shed of Dundee.
02/05/1942[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Alton Heights to Brocketsbrae closed to passengers
05/10/1942[Wishaw Deviation Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Overtown closed.
  /  /1943[Balerno Loop] ([Caledonian Railway])
Closed to passengers
03/05/1943[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Airdrie (Caledonian) to Whifflet Upper closed to Passengers
01/11/1943[Balerno Loop] ([Caledonian Railway])
Balerno to Edinburgh (Balerno Junction) closed to passengers (official 13 June 1949)
04/06/1945[Dolphinton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dolphinton to Carstairs (Dolphinton Junction) closed to passengers
13/06/1949[Balerno Loop] ([Caledonian Railway])
Balerno to Edinburgh (Balerno Junction) officially closed to passengers, although actually suspended in 1943.
05/06/1950[Bothwell Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Bothwell to Fallside (Bothwell Junction) closed to all traffic.
01/11/1950[Dolphinton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dolphinton to Carstairs (Dolphinton Junction) closed to freight
05/02/1951[Airdrie and Newhouse Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
Morningside to Newmains closed to freight.
07/05/1951[Barnton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Barnton to Craigleith closed to passengers.
07/05/1951[Barnton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Barnton to Davidsons Mains closed to freight.
10/09/1951[Wilsontown Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Wilsontown to Auchengray (Wilsontown Junction) closed to passengers
01/10/1951[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Blackwood Junction to Tillietudlem (Southfield Junction) closed to passengers
01/10/1951[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Brocketsbrae to Hamilton (Ferniegair Junction) closed to passengers
  /04/1952[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
South Leith renamed Leith East Yard.
04/08/1952Kirriemuir Branch
(Caledonian Railway)
Kirriemuir to Forfar (Kirriemuir Junction) closed to passengers.
21/09/1953[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Alton Heights (excluded) to Brocketsbrae to Tillietudlem (Southfield Junction) closed to freight
10/01/1955[Blairgowrie Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Blairgowrie to Coupar Angus closed to passengers
09/09/1958[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Newhaven signalbox re-painted for visit of King Olav of Norway.
  /  /1960[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Closed.
04/01/1960[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Blackwood Junction to Tillietudlem (Southfield Junction) closed to freight
04/01/1960[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Southfield Junction to Dalserf Junction closed to freight
01/06/1960[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Craigleith goods closed.
01/06/1960[Barnton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Davidsons Mains to Craigleith closed to freight.
  /01/1961[Glasgow Central Station] ([Caledonian Railway])
Original bridge over the Clyde taken out of use.
02/01/1961[Glasgow Central Station] ([Caledonian Railway])
Approach lines to the station re-signaled to use the new bridge only. The electropneumatic power frame box on the bridge removed.
  /  /1962Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)
A4 Pacifics introduced on the Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street 3 hour Grampian run.
30/04/1962[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith North passenger service withdrawn. Craigleith, Murrayfield, Granton Road, Newhaven and Leith North closed.
30/04/1962[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith North to Edinburgh Princes St (Dalry Middle Junction) closed to passengers.
  /10/1962[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Seafield Engine shed closed.
02/03/1964[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Edinburgh; Haymarket West Junction to Dalry Junction closed to passengers
04/03/1964[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Stirling and Falkirk trains diverted from Princes Street to Waverley
09/03/1964[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Edinburgh; Haymarket West Junction to Dalry Junction closed to freight
09/03/1964[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Coltfield Junction to Dalry Middle Junction to Dalry Junction closed to freight
09/03/1964[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dalry Junction to Coltbridge Junction closed
09/03/1964[Dalry Road Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction closed
20/04/1964[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Dalserf Junction to Ferniegair Junction closed to freight
20/04/1964[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Canderside Sidings to Dalserf closed to freight
04/05/1964[Wilsontown Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Wilsontown Junction to Wilsontown closed
06/07/1964[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Airdrie East to Calder (Imperial Tube works) closed to freight
07/09/1964[Switchback] ([Caledonian Railway])
Balornock Junction to London Road closed.
07/09/1964[Edinburgh Station and Branches] ([Caledonian Railway])
Duff street connection opened (Duff Street Junction, at Haymarket on the [Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway] opened). This connection allowed Edinburgh Princes Street to be closed.
05/10/1964[Muirkirk Branch CR] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway)]
Muirkirk to Ponfeigh closed to all traffic.
05/10/1964[Muirkirk Branch CR] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Douglas Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Muirkirk to Lanark (Smyllum West Junction) closed to passengers.
05/10/1964[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Whifflet Upper to Langloan West Junction closed to passengers
07/12/1964[Bonnybridge Canal Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Bonnybridge Canal to Greenhill closed to freight
07/12/1964[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Strathaven Central to Stonehouse closed to freight.
14/06/1965[Wishaw Deviation Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Wishaw Central re-named Wishaw.
21/06/1965[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Murrayfield goods closed.
21/06/1965[Kirriemuir Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Kirriemuir to Kirriemuir Junction (excluded) closed to goods.
02/08/1965[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Crewe Junction to Granton Gasworks closed.
06/09/1965[Caledonian Railway]
Edinburgh Princes Street to Slateford Junction closed to passengers
04/10/1965[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Coalburn to Hamilton (Haughead Junction) closed to passengers.
04/10/1965[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Coalburn to Auchlochan Colliery closed to freight.
04/10/1965[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Strathaven to Stonehouse closed to passengers.
18/10/1965[Douglas Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Lanark Racecourse to Smyllum West Junction closed to freight but is retained for turning engines.
06/12/1965[Blairgowrie Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Blairgowrie to Coupar Angus closed to freight
07/01/1966[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Coatbridge to Rutherglen closed to passengers
24/01/1966[East Kilbride Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Mavor and Coulsons siding to East Kilbride closed to freight
04/04/1966[Airdrie and Newhouse Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Chapelhall to Bellside junction closed
04/04/1966[Airdrie and Newhouse Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Newhouse to Chapelhall closed to freight
18/04/1966[Lanark Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Lanark to Carstairs (Lanark Junction South Curve) closed to passengers.
04/07/1966[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Newhaven Junction to Leith Walk West (excluded) closed.
15/08/1966[Caledonian Railway]
Edinburgh Princes Street-Slateford Junction closed to freight
03/09/1966Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)
A4 Pacifics from Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street withdrawn.
07/11/1966[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Coatbridge Central to Rutherglen Junction closed to passengers
04/09/1967[Granton Branch] (Duke of Buccleuch and [Caledonian Railway])
Granton Junction to Leith North (excluded) closed.
04/09/1967[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Newhaven Junction to Coltfield Junction closed to freight.
04/12/1967[Balerno Loop] ([Caledonian Railway])
Balerno Goods to Balerno Junction closed to freight
04/12/1967[Balerno Loop] ([Caledonian Railway])
Balerno ground frame to Ravelrig Junction closed to freight
15/01/1968[Douglas Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Ponfeigh to Lanark Racecourse to Smyllum East Junction closed to freight.
05/02/1968[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Granton High (goods) closed. (Latterly accessed via the [Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway]).
28/02/1968[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
George Street Depot to Newhaven Junction closed to freight.
06/05/1968[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith Walk West to Seafield Junction (excluded) closed.
05/08/1968[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith North closed. (Latterly accessed via the dock lines from the [Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway]).
05/08/1968[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith North to George Street Depot closed to freight. (Accessed from former North British Railway lines latterly)
16/09/1968[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Auchlochan Colliery to Larkhall Central closed to freight.
07/10/1968[Lanark Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Lanark to Carstairs (Lanark Junction South Curve) closed to freight. (Alternative date 20/10/1968).
04/11/1968[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Larkhall Central to Haughhead Junction closed to freight.
  /  /1970[Caledonian Railway]
[Lancaster and Carlisle Railway]
[Lancaster and Preston Railway]
[Preston and Wigan Railway]
[Wigan Branch Railway]
[Warrington and Newton Railway]
[Grand Junction Railway]
Weaver Junction (south of Warrington) to Glasgow electrification authorised.
  /04/1970[Caledonian Railway]
[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
[Clydesdale Junction Railway]
[Polloc and Govan Railway]
[Glasgow Central Station]
West Coast Main line electrification authorised.
03/01/1971[Caledonian Railway]
Beattock closed
  /  /1972[Glasgow Central Station] ([Caledonian Railway])
Automatic ticket barriers introduced
  /  /1972[Caledonian Railway]
Dolphinton Junction signalbox closed
22/10/1972[Glasgow Central Station] ([Caledonian Railway])
Powerbox modernised.
31/12/1973[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith East Yard, last section of the line, closed. (Latterly accessed from [North British Railway] lines via Seafield Junction)
06/05/1974[Caledonian Railway]
[Wishaw and Coltness Railway]
[Clydesdale Junction Railway]
[Polloc and Govan Railway]
[Glasgow Central Station]
Glasgow Central to Carlisle electrification complete.
05/06/1979[Caledonian Railway]
Cobbinshaw (temporary) signalbox opened to control down line between
  /  /1980[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Granton Bitumen works siding closed. (Latterly accessed via the [Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway] which is cut back to Powderhall).
10/11/1981[Caledonian Railway]
Cobbinshaw (temporary) signalbox closed
22/11/1981[Caledonian Railway]
Midcalder Junction box closed
  /  /1983[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leadhills & Wanlockhead Railway Society formed.
  /01/1984[Switchback] ([Caledonian Railway])
London Road High Level closed to goods (except rare scrap workings)
  /  /1986[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Track laying starts.
  /  /1986[Granton Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Line lifted from Granton Harbour to the Bitumen works.
  /  /1986[Cleland and Midcalder Line] ([Caledonian Railway])
Polkemmet Colliery line lifted.
  /  /1988[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Service starts running over a quarter of a mine of track running south from the new Leadhills station.
  /  /1991[Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Rispin Cleugh viaduct demolished.
04/10/1993[Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway] ([Caledonian Railway])
Local passenger service established between Glasgow (Rutherglen Junction) and Whifflet. Trains interconnect with services to Motherwell and Coatbridge. Heritage Diesel Multiple Units in use.
13/02/1998[Glasgow Central Station] ([Caledonian Railway])
Last mail train runs from the station to Cardiff.
04/07/2005[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Signalling switched on on the re-opening Hamilton - Larkhall branch.
17/07/2005[Coalburn Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
[Mid Lanark Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Overhead Line Equipment (overhead wires) energised on the re-opening Hamilton - Larkhall line.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.

Carlisle to Carstairs

Passenger and goods line from Carlisle to Float Junction, Carstairs.

Carlisle

This is a major station in the north west of England....

More

Rockcliffe

This was a two platform station with the main station building on the southbound platform. There was a goods yard on the east side of the line, approached by a long siding from the southbound line.
...

More

Floriston

This was a two platform station to the north of Floriston Level Crossing. The railway remains open and is the West Coast Main Line.
...

More

Gretna [CR]

This was a two platform station immediately south of the England/Scotland Border at Sark Viaduct. The main station building was on the northbound platform and there was a goods yard on the east side, approached by reversal.
...

More

Gretna Junction

This junction was just to the north of the former Gretna [CR] station. The junction is now single lead junction for the route to Dumfries and double for the line north to Lockerbie. The Dumfries route doubles after leading the junction.
...

More

Quintinshill Loops

There are refuge loops at Quintinshill on both the north and south bound lines. The loops were installed in 1880. The location is just north of Gretna Junction. Quintinshill is the site of the Quintinshill Disaster....

More

Kirkpatrick

This was a two platform station just to the south of Kirkpatrick. There was a goods yard at the east end.
...

More

Kirtlebridge

This was a small two platform station until the opening of the Solway Junction Railway in 1869.
...

More

Ecclefechan

This was a two platform station on an east-west alignment. The southbound (up) platform was to the north. The main station building was on the southbound platform. This was a crow-stepped gable building typical of the line.
...

More

Castlemilk Goods

The site of these sidings, just east of Castlemilkgates, is now under the M74 bridge over the line. There was a box and sidings on the west side of the line, served from the north....

More

Lockerbie

This is a two platform station. The main station building is on the northbound platform.
...

More

Nethercleugh

This was a two platform station to the north of a level crossing. There was a goods yard on the west side, north of the crossing, approached from the north.
...

More

Dinwoodie

This was a two platform station to the south of a level crossing. There was a goods yard on the west side of the line to the north of the crossing, reached by reversal from the northbound line.
...

More

Wamphray

This was a two platform station with a small goods yard on the east side, approached from the south. The line runs on an embankment.
...

More

Beattock

This was a three platform station on the Glasgow-Carlisle main line. There were two main line platforms and a bay at the north end for the Moffat Railway. The station buildings were demolished after closure in the 1970s but the stationmaster's house, of a similar design, remains albeit in poor...

More

Beattock Shed

Beattock Shed was located by Beattock station, just to the north on the west side. It was a double ended two road shed approached from the north and south.
...

More

Beattock Summit

This summit has up and down loops. ...

More

Elvanfoot

This was a two platform station on the Caledonian Railway main line with interchange for the Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch (Caledonian Railway).
...

More

Crawford

This was a two platform station.
...

More

Abington

This was a two platform station with passing loops on either side of the line just to the north. The passing loops remain in use today but nothing remains of the station except nearby railway cottages and the former station forecourt. A siding here is in permanent way maintenance use....

More

Lamington

This was a two platform station....

More

Symington [1st]

This was a two platform station, replaced by a larger junction station to the north when the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway opened. The station was immediately north of the bridge over the A72.
...

More

Symington [2nd]

This was a three platform junction station opened with the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway. It replaced Symington [1st] around 1000 ft to the south. Between the two station was the goods yard on the east side of the line.
...

More

Thankerton

A two platform station. When first opened a road crossed the station by level crossing (by Station Road). North of this was the goods yard, on the east side, with the passenger station to the south.
...

More

Float Junction

This was the south end of a curve allowing trains to run from Carlisle to Edinburgh. The north end was at Lampits Junction. The curve opened with the Caledonian Railway line and was east of Carstairs Junction.
...

More


Carstairs to Glasgow Branch

Float Junction to Garriongill Junction.

Float Junction

This was the south end of a curve allowing trains to run from Carlisle to Edinburgh. The north end was at Lampits Junction. The curve opened with the Caledonian Railway line and was east of Carstairs Junction.
...

More

Carstairs South Junction

This location was known as Strawfrank Junction until the electrification and resignalling scheme when it became Carstairs South Junction.
...

More

Carstairs

This is an island platform station on the western junction of the triangular junction at Carstairs. The station has been rebuilt a number of times....

More

Cleghorn

This was a two platform station nearly two and a half miles north of Lanark.
...

More

Braidwood

This was a two platform station with a goods yard on the west side, served from the north. Sawmills were served by the goods sidings.
...

More

Carluke

This is a two platform station station with two excellent survivors; a fine goods shed (no longer in railway use) and a distinctive station building. It is in the west of Carluke.
...

More

Law Junction

This was a four platform station which opened with the Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway).
...

More


Carstairs to Edinburgh Branch

Float Junction to Edinburgh Princes Street.

Float Junction

This was the south end of a curve allowing trains to run from Carlisle to Edinburgh. The north end was at Lampits Junction. The curve opened with the Caledonian Railway line and was east of Carstairs Junction.
...

More

Carstairs East Junction

The 1867 Dolphinton [CR] line started from a junction which allowed trains from Carstairs station to join the branch. This branch severed the south to east 1848 curve (out of use from around 1860) and a replacement curve was built from Strawfrank Junction to Dolphinton Junction in...

More

Lampits Junction

This was the north end of a curve allowing trains to run from Carlisle to Edinburgh. The south end was at Float Junction. The curve opened with the Caledonian Railway line and was east of Carstairs Junction.
...

More

Carnwath

This was a two platform station about a mile from Carnwath, to the east, by road.
...

More

Auchengray

Auchengray was a three platform station to the north of a level crossing. There were two platforms on the main line and a bay (added around the time the Wilsontown branch opened, 1860 with a west to south curve creating a triangle in 1866) at the north end of the northbound platform. A small...

More

Cobbinshaw [2nd]

Cobbinshaw [1st] station closed in 1875 and was replaced with this station. The second station was further south. This was a two platform station with the main building on the southbound platform.
...

More

Cobbinshaw [1st]

This station was opened on the west bank of the Cobbinshaw Reservoir (a feeder for the Union Canal).
...

More

Harburn

This two platform station was in a rural location not far from Harburn House and estate, to the south.
...

More

Kirknewton

This is a two platform station to the immediate east of a level crossing. The main station building is on the eastbound platform and it is a miles east of Midcalder Junction.
...

More

Ravelrig Platform

This was a two platform halt west of Ravelrig Junction at Dalmahoy, the west end of the Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway). (The branch was a loop).
...

More

Curriehill

This was a two platform station on the Caledonian Railway main line. Currie was better served by the Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway) station Currie [2nd] which opened to the south.
...

More

Wester Hailes

This is a modern two platform station.
...

More

Kingsknowe

This is a two platform station.
...

More

Slateford

This is a two platform station in the south west of Edinburgh.
...

More

Exhibition [CR]

This temporary station served the International Exhibition of Electricity, Engineering, General Inventions and Industries. This was laid out on the land later occupied by Slateford Yard, the Meggetland sports grounds lying south of the line at Slateford and west of Craiglockhart and...

More

Merchiston

This was a two platform station in the south western suburb of Edinburgh on the approach to Edinburgh Princes Street station.
...

More

Lothian Road

This was a terminus in Edinburgh. This was the Caledonian Railway's original terminus before being replaced with Edinburgh Princes Street which was just to the north.
...

More

Edinburgh Princes Street

This was a major terminus in Edinburgh originally opened in 1870 and entirely rebuilt in 1894. In its final form, it had seven platforms, a 850 foot glass bayed roof and the "Caledonian Hotel", built 1899-1903. There was much in common with the architectural style of Glasgow Central station. On...

More


Garnqueen to Greenhill Branch

Garnqueen South Junction to Greenhill Lower Junction.

Greenfaulds

This is a two platform station. It was opened to serve the southern part of Cumbernauld as the 'new town' extended south....

More

Cumbernauld

This is a two platform station with the main station building on the northbound platform. The original shelter on this platform was similar to that at Killin [2nd] reflecting the size of Cumbernauld before it became a 'New Town'.
...

More

Greenhill

This was originally a two platform station. the platforms were on the Caledonian Railway's Greenhill Branch line from Garnqueen South Junction to Greenhill Lower Junction.
...

More


Gartsherrie South Junction to Gartsherrie East Junction

Passenger and goods line from Gartsherrie South Junction to Gartsherrie East Junction. This short connection, which crossed the now Caledonian owned older Garnkirk and Glasgow on the level, allowed running north and east to Greenhill from Coatbridge.



Carstairs to Dolphinton Junction

Carstairs

This is an island platform station on the western junction of the triangular junction at Carstairs. The station has been rebuilt a number of times....

More

Carstairs East Junction

The 1867 Dolphinton [CR] line started from a junction which allowed trains from Carstairs station to join the branch. This branch severed the south to east 1848 curve (out of use from around 1860) and a replacement curve was built from Strawfrank Junction to Dolphinton Junction in...

More