The eastern half of the double track goods and minerals line from Falkirk to Grangemouth belonged to the Caledonian Railway and opened in 1911. It survived the western half to serve the Falkirk Aluminium Works, actually on the western (formerly North British Railway) half. It was a relief line also serving many works in the Bainsford area formerly served by the Forth and Clyde Canal.
The stub of the line remains today at Fouldubs Junction along with several freight depots.
Alternative names: Orchardhall Branch (Caledonian Railway) or Grahamston New Lines (Caledonian Railway).
|/ /1900||Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Fouldubs Junction to Bainsford (Burnhouse) and works sidings authorised.
|/ /1903||Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Extension of time (to 1908) to complete line granted.
|/ /1905||Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Extension of time (to 1911) to complete line granted.
|/ /1908||Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Bainsford Branch (North British Railway)|
By-pass line from Swing Bridge Junction to Fouldubs Junction partly opened. The western half was owned by the North British Railway (part of the former line to the Carron Iron Works) and the eastern was to be opened by the Caledonian Railway.
|23/11/1911||Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Orchardhall Swing Bridge to Fouldubs Junction opened, completing line.
|/ /1968||Bainsford Branch (North British Railway)|
Line closed with the exception of a short portion at the eastern end which allowed access to the Falkirk Aluminium Works via the Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway).
|/ /1986||Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Fouldubs Junction to Falkirk Aluminium Works closed.
|/ /1991||Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Line starts to be lifted.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This swing bridge crossed the Forth and Clyde Canal and carried the 1911 goods only Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway) between its junction with the North British Railway at Bainsford Junction and Fouldubs Junction on the Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal), now owned by the Caledonian Railway.
This single ended shed was located in the ^V^ of the junction at Fouldubs Junction. The shed was approached from the junction to the east.
This junction is located on the western edge of Grangemouth. Today it is the junction between various freight lines and the double track railway to Grangemouth Junction. It is controlled by a large signal box on the north side of the line. This box is unusual in Scotland now, for being the only box located on a goods network. From here sidings serve the TDG depot, WH Malcolm depot, ...More details