This was a double track junction. It was formed between the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway (1850)
and a curve put in originally to the Carron Iron Company line and later used for the second route to Grangemouth via Bainsford and Orchardhall, Bainsford Branch (North British Railway) (1908). The original connection was to a single track tightly curve line, eased when the Bainsford line opened, to an exchange yard.
The junction also served, with a reversing spur on the north side of the branch approached from the west, the Sunnyside Iron Works.
The signal box was just east of the junction in the 'V' of the junction and in line with the main line. It opened with the Bainsford line opening in 1908.
The western portion of the Bainsford line closed in 1968. The box in 1969.
The main line here remains open and has been electrified.
Just to the east were Swing Bridge West Signal Box and Swing Bridge East Signal Box on either side of the swing bridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal. This bridge was originally single track .
Falkirk Camelon [1st]
Bonnybridge Canal Goods
| Sunnyside Iron Works|
Swing Bridge West Signal Box
Grahamston Swing Bridge
Swing Bridge East Signal Box
Carron Company Basin
Parkhouse Iron Works
Camelon Iron Works
Grahamston Iron Works
Camelon Goods [NB]
Camelon Goods [CR]
Camelon Colliery Pit No 2
Portdownie Iron Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1908||Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Bainsford Branch (North British Railway)|
By-pass line from Swing Bridge Junction to Fouldubs Junction partly opened. The western half was owned by the North British Railway (part of the former line to the Carron Iron Works) and the eastern was to be opened by the Caledonian Railway.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Larbert and Stenhousemuir
Old Larbert and Stenhousemuir
Where Iron Runs Like Water: A New History of the Carron Iron Works, 1759-1982