This railway is closed and much of the former trackbed now forms the Speyside Way (Speyside Way ).
The line ran by the River Spey serving Whisky country. The line was single track.
The railway provided a service from Boat of Garten to Dufftown. Connections were provided at Craigellachie to Elgin (via the Morayshire Railway) and Dufftown to Aberdeen (via the Keith and Dufftown Railway and the Great North of Scotland Railway). Connections were provided at Boat of Garten to Inverness and Perth (via the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway and later the Highland Railway).
Act receives Royal assent for line from Dufftown to Abernethy
Line opened from Dufftown to Abernethy via Speyside Junction. Stations opened at: Stations : Strathspey Junction, Aberlour, Carron, Blacksboat, Ballindalloch, Advie, Dalvey, Cromdale, Grantown and Abernethy.
|/ /1864||[Morayshire Railway]|
Craigellachie renamed Dandaleith and Strathspey Junction renamed Craigellachie.
Extension from Abernethy to Boat of Garten authorised.
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Strathspey Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway.
Abernethy to Boat of Garten opened.
Abernethy renamed Nethy Bridge.
|/ /1868||[Strathspey Railway]|
Advie (New) opened, 1.21 km east of former station.
|/ /1869||[Strathspey Railway]|
Knockando opened (Private).
Dalbeallie Distillery siding converted to a station - Dalbeallie.
|/ /1905||[Strathspey Railway]|
Knockando renamed Knockando House Halt.
|/ /1905||[Strathspey Railway]|
Dalbeallie renamed Knockando.
|/ /1958||[Strathspey Railway]|
Railcar used on Speyside line.
Boat of Garten to Craigellachie closed to passengers.
|06/05/1968||[Keith and Dufftown Railway]|
Elgin to Craigellachie to Keith Junction closed to passengers.
Boat of Garten to Aberlour closed to freight.
Elgin East to Craigellachie closed to freight.
Aberlour to Craigellachie to Dufftown closed to freight.
These locations are along the line.
This is a preserved two platform station, one of the platforms being a bay and the other the former westbound through platform. Dufftown is the terminus of the Keith and Dufftown Railway Association line, a heritage railway. The original station building still stands on the through platform.
This was a three platform station and junction. There were two platforms on the route between Elgin East and Keith via Dufftown and one platform on the Strathspey route to Boat of Garten. To the north on the Elgin route the line almost immediately crossed the Craigellachie Bridge...More
This was a two platform station with a goods yard to the north, approached from the east. There was a level crossing to the immediate west of the station, access to the Imperial Distillery.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The station did not open with the line and was initially named for a farm to the east. The goods yard was to the north of the station, approached from the west, from the eastbound loop. To the west was the line to Tamdhu Distillery which was...More
This is a well preserved closed station on the former Strathspey Railway. It had a single platform, on the west side of the line, and a goods yard to the south, also on the west side of the line, approached from the south.
This was a two platform station at Cragganmore, Ballindalloch Castle was two miles away by road. Nearer was the Cragganmore distillery. The distillery was intentionally opened here due to the proximity of the railway.
This was a two platform station to the south of the town of Grantown-on-Spey, and on the south bank of the Spey.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Old Grantown to Aviemore: Upper Strathspey
Speyside Railways: Exploring the Remains of the Great North of Scotland Railways and Its Environs
Strathspey Railway: Guide book