Opened on the Strathspey Railway.
This was a two platform station with a goods yard to the north, approached from the east. There was a level crossing to the immediate west of the station, access to the Imperial Distillery.
The stone built station building, on the eastbound platform, and platforms (partly infilled) remain, as does the loading bank.
When first opened this was a single platform station, the platform with the building, and no loop. The distillery's opening followed the railway.
The signal box opened in 1894 with the loop. It was to the east of the station building on the eastbound platform. The goods yard was to the north.
Sidings to the west of the station, accessed from the west, served the Imperial Distillery. One served the north side of the Imperial Distillery warehousing and one the south side via which, by reversal, the distillery itself could be reached. Level crossing tracks remained embedded for many years following closure of the railway.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The line closed between Aviemore and Aberlour in 1968.
The Bridge of Carron is to the east of the former station.
Imperial Cottages Halt
Knockando House Halt
Gilbey^s Cottage Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Bridge of Carron
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Line opened from Dufftown to Abernethy [Strathspey] via Speyside Junction. Stations opened at: Strathspey Junction, Aberlour, Carron, Blacksboat, Ballindalloch, Advie [1st], Dalvey [2nd], Cromdale, Grantown-on-Spey East and Abernethy [Strathspey].
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Old Grantown to Aviemore: Upper Strathspey
Speyside Railways: Exploring the Remains of the Great North of Scotland Railways and Its Environs
Strathspey Railway: Guide book