Bridge of Carron (1863-1968)
Opened on the Strathspey Railway.
This bridge carried both the Strathspey Railway and a road over the River Spey. Today the railway is closed but road remains open. It is also known as Carron Bridge (a name which can lead to confusion with Carron Bridge on the Glasgow and South Western Railway).
The bridge is a single arch 150 ft long comprising three cast iron ribs. It approached by stone abutments on either side with a single 25ft arch for flood waters. The single track railway was to the south and the single track road is to the north. The railway portion now carries the Speyside Way.
The engineer for the line was Alexander Gibb. The bridge was manufactured in Aberdeen at the Spring Garden Iron Works by William McKinnon and Co. Builder's plaques read 'Mckinnon & Co, Engineers, Aberdeen, 1863'.
The line closed to passengers in 1965 and completely in 1968.
This portion of the River Spey is popular with fishermen.
Imperial Cottages Halt
Knockando House Halt
Gilbey^s Cottage Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Bridge of Carron
Craigellachie Bridge [Road]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Old Grantown to Aviemore: Upper Strathspey
Speyside Railways: Exploring the Remains of the Great North of Scotland Railways and Its Environs
Strathspey Railway: Guide book