North British Railway

Introduction

This line was promoted as a separate company by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway which did not want to risk the construction of an Edinburgh to Berwick branch. Its construction was encouraged by George Hudson.

This line provided a service between Berwick and Edinburgh with a branch to Haddington. Later expansions and acquisitions provided lines to Glasgow, Stirling, Dundee, Hamilton, Peebles, Galashiels, Aberdeen, St Andrews, Carlisle and a large number of other locations. Ultimately this company owned the largest track mileage of any Scottish railway company.

The mainline remains open and the Haddington branch is now a footpath.

The line between Edinburgh Waverley, North Berwick and Dunbar is supported and promoted by the East Lothian Community Rail Partnership .

The former North British Railway company is studied and memory preserved by the North British Railway Study Group .



Dates

07/07/1844[North British Railway]
Act receives Royal assent. Alternative date 4/7/1844.
  /  /1845[Marquis of Lothians Waggonway]
[North British Railway]
Waggonway purchased by the North British Railway.
  /  /1845[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1845[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (as yet unbuilt) absorbed by North British Railway.
21/07/1845[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway merged with the North British Railway.
16/06/1846[North Berwick Branch] ([North British Railway])
Act passed
18/06/1846[North British Railway]
Opened from Edinburgh North Bridge to Berwick and the branch from Longniddry to Haddington.
  /  /1847[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
[Musselburgh Branch] opened and Fisherrow closed to passengers.
14/07/1847Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction, Cairney to Millerhill, re-alignment at Sheriffhall and Dalhousie to Gorebridge opened.
  /  /1848[North British Railway]
Trinity College Church, Edinburgh, pulled down to make room for North Bridge station.
01/05/1848[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Line extended from Gorebridge to Bowland.
20/04/1849[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Line opened from Bowland to Hawick.
13/08/1849[North Berwick Branch] ([North British Railway])
Opened from Drem Junction to Williamston
17/06/1850[North Berwick Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line opened completely to North Berwick
27/01/1851[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Wallace Nick station, by Kelso, closed.
  /10/1852[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Newstead station closed
  /  /1859[Selkirk and Galashiels Railway]
[North British Railway]
Selkirk and Galashiels Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1860[Border Counties Railway]
[North British Railway]
Border Counties Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1860[Jedburgh Railway]
[North British Railway]
Jedburgh Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/06/1862[North British Railway]
Hawick Junction (at Portobello) becomes Portobello East Junction.
03/06/1862[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Monktonhall to Hardengreen authorised with branch to Macmerry.
01/07/1862[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Hawick [1st] closed to passengers on opening of the [Border Union Railway (North British Railway)].
29/07/1862Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee RailwayNorth British Railway
Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway absorbed by the North British Railway.
29/07/1862[West of Fife Mineral Railway][North British Railway]
West of Fife Railway absorbed by the North British Railway.
  /  /1863[North British Railway]
Buy Charlestown Harbour and extend it east.
  /  /1863[Wansbeck Railway]
[North British Railway]
Wansbeck Railway absorbed by [North British Railway].
01/08/1865[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[North British Railway]
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1866[Leadburn Linton and Dolphinton Railway]
[North British Railway]
Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1870[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Fountainhall station masters house built.
19/03/1870[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line opened from Monktonhall to Macmerry.
31/07/1870[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Connection from Hardengreen Junction ([Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]) to Smeaton ([Macmerry Branch]) opened.
  /  /1871[Esk Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Esk Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Under construction. Contractor: John Waddell.
01/02/1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
College station opened on a site previously occupied by the University of Glasgow.
01/02/1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Opened.
17/07/1871[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Auction Mart started by John Swan & Sons by the St Boswells station
26/10/1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway]
Whifflet to College passenger service starts.
  /  /1872[Leslie Railway]
[North British Railway]
Leslie Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1872[Northumberland Central Railway]
[North British Railway]
Northumberland Central Railway absorbed by [North British Railway].
01/05/1872[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Smeaton, Ormiston, Winton and Macmerry stations opened.
  /  /1873[Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway]
[North British Railway]
[Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway] absorbed by [North British Railway].
  /  /1873Broxburn Railway
[North British Railway]
Broxburn Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1875[Devon Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Devon Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1876[Peebles Railway]
[North British Railway]
Peebles Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1876[Berwickshire Railway]
[North British Railway]
Berwickshire Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1876[Penicuik Railway]
[North British Railway]
Penicuik Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/08/1877[Leven and East of Fife Railway]
[North British Railway]
Leven and East of Fife Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/08/1877[St Andrews Railway]
[North British Railway]
St Andrews Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/06/1878[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Public opening of bridge and line between Camperdown Junction, Dundee (Tay Bridge) station and Leuchars. The Tay Bridge was single track and the other part of the line double. The bridge had signalboxes at either end. The engineer for the line was Thomas Bouch, knighted after Queen Victoria traveled over the bridge.
  /  /1879[Glasgow Bothwell Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway]
[North British Railway]
Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway absorbed by North British Railway (Alternative date 1879).
28/12/1879[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Tay Bridge Disaster. High Girders section of bridge falls in severe weather conditions. An evening train crossing the bridge falls with the High Girders and all on board are killed.
  /  /1880[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
[North British Railway]
Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1880[North British Arbroath and Montrose Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1880Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway
[Caledonian Railway]
[North British Railway]
Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway).
  /  /1880[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Locomotive retrieved from bottom of River Tay, nicknamed The Diver and put back in service. The letterbox, of Dalhousie station and now at the museum in Bellingham, was made from metal from this engine.
  /  /1881[Montrose and Bervie Railway]
[North British Railway]
Montrose and Bervie Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1881[Blane Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Blane Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
27/04/1883[Caledonian Railway][North British Railway][Alloa Railway][South Alloa Branch]
North British Railway given running powers over the Alloa Railway and South Alloa Branch from Alloa to Greenhill Junction on payment of £3000 annually to the Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1885[Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway]
[North British Railway]
Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/08/1885[Kelvin Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Kelvin Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
15/03/1886[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
College terminus closed.
  /  /1887[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[North British Railway]
Glasgow City and District Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/02/1887[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Stobcross Railway]
Circular service introduced by the [North British Railway].
13/07/1887[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
New double track Tay Bridge opened. (Alternative date 6/1887).
  /  /1888North Monkland RailwayNorth British Railway
North Monkland Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/05/1889[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Dundee Esplanade opened.
01/05/1889[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Wormit opened.
26/07/1889[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway]
[North British Railway]
Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway merged into North British Railway.
  /  /1890[North British Railway]
Operate a horse bus in East Lothian.
02/06/1890[Aberdour Line] ([North British Railway])
Aberdour opened.
17/08/1890[North British Railway]
Six of the Forth Ferry Steamers now redundant and scrapped.
  /  /1891[Whiteinch Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British buys the smaller line.
05/08/1891[Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway]
[North British Railway]
Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1892Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line
[Caledonian Railway]
[North British Railway]
Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway).
18/12/1893[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Kincardine Junction to Kincardine opened.
17/09/1894[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Kilbagie station opened.
  /  /1895[North British Railway]
Design chosen for the North British Hotel, Edinburgh, by Sir William Hamilton Beattie after a competition. North Bridge also raised.
  /  /1895[East Fife Central Railway]
[North British Railway]
East Fife Central Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1896[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
[North British Railway]
City of Glasgow Union Railway absorbed and divided between Glasgow and South Western Railway and North British Railway.
03/03/1896[Kirkcaldy District Railway] ([North British Railway])
Line opened as a goods relief line between Invertiel Junction (Kirkcaldy) and Foulford (Cowdenbeath) with a goods station at Auchtertool.
  /  /1897[Glasgow Yoker and Clydebank] Railway
[North British Railway]
Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1897[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
[North British Railway]
Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /07/1897[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 2 partly opened.
  /  /1900[Eyemouth Railway]
[North British Railway]
Merged with North British Railway.
  /  /1900[Newport Railway]
[North British Railway]
Newport Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /01/1900[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 2 opened completely.
06/08/1900[Aberlady, Gullane and North Berwick Railway]
[North British Railway]
Aberlady, Gullane and North Berwick Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1902[North British Railway]
North British Hotel, Edinburgh, opened.
12/01/1903[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Stobcross Railway]
Circular service withdrawn.
01/07/1906[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Line opened between Kincardine and Elbowbend Junction, contractor Robert McAlpine.
01/05/1907[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British Railway start running service.
  /  /1908[West Highland Railway]
[North British Railway]
West Highland Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
31/12/1908[North British Railway]
[West Highland Railway]
North British Railway takes over the West Highland Railway line from Craigendoran to Mallaig and the branch to Banavie.
31/10/1911[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
Line closed to all traffic as North British withdraws.
  /  /1913[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Hardengreen Junction to Smeaton mothballed.
22/01/1913[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 3 opened, contractor Robert McAlpine.
01/08/1913[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
Line re-opened by North British.
28/08/1914[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British Railway (Invergarry and Fort Augustus) vesting and confirmation act passed as the North British buys the line.
31/12/1914[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British Railway buys line and railway hotel at Fort Augustus.
18/08/1915[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 3 closed for repairs.
14/12/1916[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
A major landslip at Ladhope Tunnel, just west of Galashiels station, blocks line.
  /  /1919[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 3 re-opened.
29/03/1919[Cowdenbeath Loop] ([North British Railway])
All passenger trains start to use the Cowdenbeath (New) deviation.
  /  /1923[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Melrose station's timber roof removed.
01/01/1923[North British Railway]
[Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
[Forth and Clyde Junction Railway]
[Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway]
[Gifford and Garvald Railway]
[Newburgh and North Fife Railway]
[Lauder Light Railway]
Great Central Railway
Grouped into [London and North Eastern Railway].
01/07/1925[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Macmerry to Ormiston closed to passengers.
07/07/1930[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Alloa (Kincardine Junction) to Dunfermline via Culross closed to passengers.
22/09/1930[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Smeaton closed to passengers.
03/04/1933[Gifford and Garvald Railway]
[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Gifford to Edinburgh (Monktonhall Junction) closed to passengers.
02/10/1933[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Dundee Esplanade closed.
  /  /1934[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Smeaton to Hardengreen Junction lifted.
  /  /1948[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line used by expresses diverted from the East Coast Main Line.
05/12/1949[North British Railway]
Haddington to Longniddry closed to passengers.
  /  /1950[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line used by expresses diverted from the East Coast Main Line.
  /  /1951[North British Railway]
Cockburnspath station closed.
07/04/1952[Leith Central Branch] ([North British Railway])
Leith Central to Abbeyhill and Piershill closed to passengers.
19/09/1955[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Parkhead station closed.
08/01/1956Glasgow City and District RailwayCoatbridge Branch (North British Railway)Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBathgate and Coatbridge Railway (Monkland Railways)Edinburgh and Bathgate RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
02/05/1960[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Macmerry to Ormiston closed to freight. Goods depots at Macmerry and Winton closed.
05/08/1960[North British Railway]
Petition against closure of Portobello starts.
05/02/1962[North British Railway]
Ayton station closed.
05/02/1962[North British Railway]
Burnmouth station closed.
17/11/1963[Kirkcaldy District Railway] ([North British Railway])
Invertiel to Cowdenbeath closed.
  /  /1964[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Fountainhall becomes de-staffed.
  /05/1964[Aberdour Line] ([North British Railway])
Aberdour closed to goods.
04/05/1964[North British Railway]
Grantshouse station closed.
04/05/1964[North British Railway]
Reston station closed.
15/06/1964[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Kelso to St Boswells (Kelso Junction) closed to passengers.
07/09/1964[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
Closed to passengers.
07/09/1964[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Musselburgh to Joppa (Newhailes Junction) closed to passengers
25/05/1965[Gifford and Garvald Railway]
[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Saltoun to Smeaton closed to freight. Ormiston goods depot closed.
  /07/1967[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Bellgrove closed to cattle traffic. The Glasgow Cattle Market was located by the station.
01/04/1968[North British Railway]
Haddington to Longniddry closed to freight.
01/04/1968[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Kelso to St Boswells (Kelso Junction) closed to freight.
06/01/1969[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway][Marquis of Lothians Waggonway][Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)][Border Union Railway][Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
28/04/1969[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Gorebridge, Lady Victoria Pit, (excluded) to Hawick [2nd] officially closed to goods.
05/01/1970Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)Kinross-shire RailwayFife and Kinross Railway
Cowdenbeath to Perth closed to passengers, Bridge of Earn [2nd] to Milnathort closed to goods, Cowdenbeath to Milnathort singled.
05/01/1970Kinross-shire RailwayFife and Kinross RailwayGlenfarg Line (North British Railway)
Perth (Hilton Junction) to Cowdenbeath North Junction) closed to passengers.
05/01/1970[Fife and Kinross Railway]
[Glenfarg Line] ([North British Railway])
Bridge of Earn to Milnathort closed to all traffic.
07/12/1970[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
Closed to freight.
01/05/1972[Leith Central Branch] ([North British Railway])
Leith Central (DMU servicing) to Abbeyhill Junction and Piershill Junction closed.
06/09/1972[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Musselburgh to Joppa (Newhailes Junction) closed to freight. (Alternative dates: 1971, 7/12/1970).
  /  /1978[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Dalkeith colliery closed.
17/03/1979[North British Railway]
Tunnel collapse at Penmanshiel diversions of east coast trains via Carlisle required.
  /  /1980[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Dalkeith washery closed, line closed completely from Monktonhall Junction.
21/09/1980[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Bellgrove station burnt down.
  /  /1985North British Railway
Perth Pool built on the former goods yard of the North British Railway by Perth station.
  /  /1989Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Millerhill Yard Junction (by Millerhill MPD, approximate location of the former Cairnie station) to Millerhill Junction (south of the former Millerhill station) closed.
06/03/1989[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Crash at Bellgrove station when a train leaves Bellgrove station passing a red light (SPAD) and runs onto the single lead of the Springburn line striking a train leaving the branch. 2 were killed and 40 injured.
  /  /1991[North British Railway]
North British Hotel, Edinburgh, becomes the Balmoral.
  /06/1994[North British Railway]
Wallyford station opened.
  /04/1997[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Longannet to Kincardine Power station re-opened to freight.
  /03/1998[Aberdour Line] ([North British Railway])
Dalgety Bay station opened.
03/06/2002[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction and Niddrie South Junction to Newcraighall re-opened to passengers with a stations at Brunstane and Newcraighall. A long reversing spur was provided south of Newcraighall from the new Newcraighall Junction.
06/09/2015Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)Millerhill Deviation (Network Rail)
Newcraighall North Junction to Tweedbank opened to passengers with stations at Shawfair, Eskbank, Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Stow, Galashiels and Tweedbank. Newcraighall Junction renamed Newcraighall South Junction.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.

Edinburgh to Berwick

Edinburgh Waverley

This is the main station in Edinburgh and acts as both a terminus and through station. The larger part of the station is covered by a large glazed roof and is an island platform with bays at either end. There is a smaller island platform outwith the main roof on the south side.
...

More

St Margarets

This station was west of the London Road overbridge and St Margarets Shed. The Duke's Walk and Queen's Drive ran west to Holyrood Palace. A loading bank and sidings were added to the north side....

More

Craigentinny Depot

This a an important depot servicing trains used on the East Coast Main Line.
...

More

Portobello West Junction

This was the junction between the North British Railway main line and its short connecting curve which ran north to meet the Edinburgh and Dalkieth Railway's South Leith branch. The curve allowed trains from the east to join the branch and vice versa. It was opened to the west of...

More

Portobello East Junction

This junction is open. The East Coast Main Line from Berwick-Upon-Tweed meets the line from Tweedbank and passenger trains run west to Edinburgh Waverley.
...

More

Newhailes Junction

This junction was controlled by a tall signal box on the west side of the line and south of Newcraighall Road. The box was tall enough to see over the bridge. Both lines were double track.
...

More

Niddrie East Junction

This junction opened in 1884. It was the southern end of a Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway curve connecting north west to the Fisherrow branch of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
...

More

Musselburgh

This is a two platform station.
...

More

Monktonhall Junction

This junction has had several different layouts and refers to several slightly different locations. The original junction was for the Macmerry Branch (North British Railway) the present version is between the East Coast Main Line (former North British Railway) and line to [[Millerhill...

More

Wallyford

This is a minimal modern two platform station with a car park.
...

More

Prestonpans

This is a two platform station on the East Coast Main Line served by local trains. To the immediate west is the Dolphingstone Deviation and to the east were goods lines to Tranent and Cockenzie Power Station. Also to the east the Tranent Waggonway crossed at right angles to the open...

More

St Germains Level Crossing

This level crossing is west of Longniddry station....

More

Longniddry

This is a two platform station. At the east of the station was the junction for the Haddington branch.
...

More

Ballencrieff

This was an extremely short lived station, most likely located to the north of Ballencrieff House and farm.
...

More

Drem

This is a two platform station served by local trains from Edinburgh Waverley to North Berwick. The original station building stands on the eastbound platform and a vintage waiting shelter on the westbound. Immediately to the east is Drem Junction where trains leave the [[East Coast Main...

More

East Linton

This was a two platform station with a goods yard on the south side of the line at the west end of the station, approached from a loop of the westbound line.
...

More

Dunbar

This is currently a single platform station. The platform is on a loop line from the eastbound/southbound track. Network Rail plans to provide a second platform on the main westbound/northbound track.
...

More

Penmanshiel Tunnel

This was a single tunnel, 244m long on the former North British Railway, now the East Coast Main Line.
...

More

Berwick-Upon-Tweed

This is an island platform station. It is located at the north end of the Royal Border Bridge on the north bank of the Tweed.
...

More


Haddington Branch

Longniddry

This is a two platform station. At the east of the station was the junction for the Haddington branch.
...

More

Cottyburn Siding

This siding was not far from Longniddry on the Haddington branch. The siding was approached from the south and was on the east side of the line.
...

More