St Andrews Railway

Introduction

This line is closed. It probably should not have been closed as St Andrews is a town and to visit now involves a taxi or bus journey from the relatively nearby station of Leuchars. As many passengers approach from the south were the line to be rebuilt trains would have to make a reversal at Milton Junction [Leuchars].



The campaign to reinstate the railway to St Andrews is StARLink .






Dates

  /  /1851St Andrews Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
01/07/1852St Andrews Railway
Opened from Leuchars to St Andrews.
01/07/1852Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Leuchars [1st] renamed Leuchars Junction on the opening of the St Andrews Railway.
01/08/1877St Andrews RailwayNorth British Railway
St Andrews Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1880[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Anstruther and St Andrews Railway authorised.
26/08/1880[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Authorised to build line from Anstruther to St Andrews.
01/09/1883[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Opened from Anstruther to Boarhills.
  /12/1883[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
New station opened in Anstruther and old station becomes good station on other side of river.
01/06/1887[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Line opened from Boarhills to St Andrews.
  /  /1897[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
[North British Railway]
Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
22/09/1930[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Boarhills station closed.
22/09/1930[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Kingsbarns station closed.
22/09/1930[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Stravithie station closed.
22/09/1930[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Mount Melville station closed.
06/09/1965[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
St Andrews to Leven closed to passengers.
06/09/1965[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
[Leven and East of Fife Railway]
[East of Fife Railway]
St Andrews to Leven closed passengers.
06/09/1965St Andrews Railway
Guard Bridge station closed.
05/10/1965[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
St Andrews to Crail closed to freight.
18/06/1966[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
[East of Fife Railway]
Crail to Leven closed to freight.
20/06/1966St Andrews Railway
Guard Bridge to St Andrews closed to freight.
04/01/1969St Andrews Railway
St Andrews to Leuchars passenger trains withdrawn.
06/01/1969St Andrews Railway
Leuchars Junction to St Andrews closed to passengers.
06/01/1969St Andrews Railway
Leuchars Junction to Guard Bridge closed to freight.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was a four platform station. A bay existed on either side for the [St Andrews Railway] branch. To the south of the station was a small yard on the west side of the line. The main station building was on the southbound platform.
...

More details

This is an island platform station which today is the closest to St Andrews. There is a car park on the east side of the station.
...

More details
Local primary school pupils have helped turn their local station into an art gallery, thanks to the ScotRail station adopters at Leuchars.
...
ScotRail /11/2019
Under construction at Leuchars - a new Caledonian Sleeper lounge. ...
John Yellowlees 24/03/2018
Rear view of Leuchars signal box in May 2005. For the front view at the time see image 52520. ...
John Furnevel 19/05/2005
43168 brings up the rear of the 09.04 from Aberdeen to Edinburgh, calling at Leuchars on 30th September 2019.
...
Bill Roberton 30/09/2019

This junction was just south of Leuchars and faced that station. Originally the junction station was Leuchars [1st], somewhat further north. ...

More details
Site of Leuchars South Jct. The St Andrews and Fife Coast Line left to the left at the clearing. nb location was also known as Milton Jct. (sorry for ...
Brian Forbes 10/06/2007


This was a single platform station with a typical North British Railway style building, a later addition. There was a passing loop to the north of the station. East of the station, over a level crossing, the line passed over the Guard Bridge Viaduct crossing the River Eden. By the level crossing was the ticket office in a stone built building. The signal box was on the south side of the ...

More details
A DMU heading for St Andrews seems to be pondering the warning sign as it passes Guard Bridge in 1967. The station had closed two years earlier in ...
Bruce McCartney /09/1967
Class J37 No 64569 passing through Guard Bridge station en route to St Andrews in August 1965 with the RCTS Fife Coast Railtour. ...
G W Robin 28/08/1965

This nine span single track plate girder viaduct has been demolished but the piers remain across the River Eden. The viaduct was on a curve where the line from Leuchars turned from south to east on its approach to St Andrews.
...

More details
The riverside scene at Guard Bridge has changed considerably in the last ten years See image 10871. Whilst the old railway viaduct piers are still ...
Mark Bartlett 24/08/2018
The east abutment of the Guard Bridge viaduct is still visible from the old road bridge although becoming quite overgrown. The last DMUs to St Andrews ...
Mark Bartlett 24/08/2018
Guard Bridge paper mill. Two rail connections from the St Andrews line crossed the main road, it was a main railfreight user until Demon ...
Brian Forbes 10/06/2007
Surviving piers of the railway bridge that carried the line between Leuchars Junction and St Andrews over the River Eden. Seen here in May 2005 ...
John Furnevel 19/05/2005


The original terminus of the railway from Leuchars [1st] was alongside the St Andrews Links, to the north west of St Andrews itself. Also known as the Links station or Old station. The station was on the north west edge of the town.
...

More details