St Andrews [1st]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

St Andrews [1st] (1852-1887)

Opened on the St Andrews Railway.

Opened on the St Andrews Junction Line (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

The original terminus of the railway from Leuchars [1st] was alongside the St Andrews Links, to the north west of St Andrews itself. Also known as the Links station or Old station. The station was on the north west edge of the town.

In preparation of the opening of the Anstruther and St Andrews Railway the North British Railway extended the existing railway south east to a new station at St Andrews [2nd] where it met the new line. This second station was better placed for the town. The extension, St Andrews Junction Line (North British Railway), was built to double track standard but carried a single line. A footbridge was erected over the line at the south end of the former station.

The original station became a goods yard (east side of the through line), sheds shed (west side) and the locomotive shed (north end) remained here. A signal box, 'St Andrews Links', opened at this time. The box was on the west side of the railway at the north of the goods yard / former station.

This remained open until 1957 when it was replaced with a ground frame. The line closed in 1969.

Strangely the North British Railway did not develop a hotel here. An odd decision given the lengths other companies went to to develop hotels with a golf course; the Caledonian Railway at Gleneagles Hotel, the Glasgow and South Western Railway at Turnberry Hotel and the Great North of Scotland Railway at Cruden Bay Hotel.

The Old Course Hotel was finally developed by British Transport Hotels, just as the railway closed. It was built on the east side of the line, on top the goods yard site, and coexisted with the line briefly (the hotel opened in 1968 and line closed in 1969).

A railway cottage remains, now 'The Jigger Inn'.

The campaign to reinstate the railway to St Andrews is StARLink .

Local

St Andrews Links

03/06/2019

Tags

Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map