Anstruther and St Andrews Railway

Introduction

This line is closed. The line ran round the East Coast of Fife between the towns in its title.






Dates

  /  /1880[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Anstruther and St Andrews Railway authorised.
26/08/1880[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Authorised to build line from Anstruther to St Andrews.
01/09/1883[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Opened from Anstruther to Boarhills.
  /12/1883[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
New station opened in Anstruther and old station becomes good station on other side of river.
01/06/1887[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Line opened from Boarhills to St Andrews.
  /  /1897[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
[North British Railway]
Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
22/09/1930[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Boarhills station closed.
22/09/1930[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Kingsbarns station closed.
22/09/1930[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Stravithie station closed.
22/09/1930[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
Mount Melville station closed.
06/09/1965[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
[Leven and East of Fife Railway]
[East of Fife Railway]
St Andrews to Leven closed passengers.
06/09/1965[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
St Andrews to Leven closed to passengers.
05/10/1965[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
St Andrews to Crail closed to freight.
18/06/1966[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
[East of Fife Railway]
Crail to Leven closed to freight.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was the junction between the Leven and East of Fife Railway of 1863 and the Anstruther and St Andrews Railway of 1883, both single track lines. With the extension the original Anstruther [1st] station became a goods yard on a short branch, replaced by Anstruther [2nd] which was to the north and a little further east.
...

More details
Looking east from the bridge at Anstruther Junction in 2015 towards the sites of the two stations. Straight ahead then slightly left for New, to the ...
Colin Miller 14/06/2015

This was a two platform station with the main building on the westbound platform. It replaced Anstruther [1st] just to the south which was left on a short branch when the line was extended and became a goods yard.
...

More details
Photograph taken during the Fife Coast Railtour on 28 August 1965. The special, which started from St Enoch behind no 256 Glen Douglas, ...
G W Robin 28/08/1965
Relics of the East of Fife line are few and hard to find.
...
Colin Miller 14/06/2015
Platform scene at Anstruther in the early 1960s with Class J37 0-6-0 no 64602 at the head of a railtour from Dundee. Anstruther station closed to ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) //
The Dreel Viaduct on the Leven to St. Andrews line, looking west in September 2011. To the left was the original Anstruther terminus which became the ...
Colin Miller 21/09/2011


This two platform station was the principal station between St Andrews and Anstruther [2nd]. The building was of a larger design to the rest of the line. It was on the western edge of Crail. The building was on on the southbound - town side - platform.
...

More details
A local service from Thornton Junction stands at Crail in 1964 watched by members of the photographer's family. The station closed to passengers in ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1964
View towards Anstruther from the footbridge at Crail station in the summer of 1965, a few months before closure to passengers. [See image 28467] ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1965
The former Crail station in June 2005, following part demolition, part conversion and part extension to form a garden centre - view is south between ...
John Furnevel 24/06/2005
Not long before its 1965 closure, passengers (including the photographer's family in the foreground) wait to board an afternoon St Andrews - Edinburgh ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1965

This was a two platform station with a passing loop. It was some way west of Kinsbarns itself - around a mile. The main station building was on the southbound platform, the town side. Platforms were joined by a footbridge.
...

More details

This was a single platform station to the south of Boarhills. The platform was on the north side of the line, the town side. There was a goods yard to the north, accessed from the west. To the east is the single track Boarhills Viaduct.
...

More details

This was a two platform station with a loop on a single track line. The eastbound line and loop were a later addition of 1898. The main station building was on the original westbound platform.
...

More details
NNW view of Chalet and station house. Now, what are the berries called? ...
Brian Forbes /10/2006
Entrance to old station at Stravithie. ...
Brian Forbes 04/11/2006
Welcome signals at Old Station B&B. If Signals are at danger there is no room at the inn. ...
Brian Forbes /11/2006
The former Stravithie station on the Fife Coast line looking south from the main road in June 2005, the location is now part of a country hotel ...
John Furnevel 22/06/2005

This station is closed. It was south of St Andrews [2nd].
...

More details

This was an island platform station located below street level. In addition to the two faces of the island platform, there was a loading dock at the north end, with a short section of platform alongside the southbound line. Also known as the new station.
...

More details
The site of St Andrews Station is now a carpark below the bus station. This is the view from the former Leuchars end of the station. ...
John Yellowlees 16/06/2017
The former St. Andrews station area, viewed from near the site of the bridge which carried Doubledykes Road across the line. Here the former trackbed ...
Colin McDonald 16/06/2017
The north end of Viaduct Walk marks the point where the former trackbed has been infilled to form a series of carparks leading to the St. Andrews ...
Colin McDonald 15/06/2017
West Port Bridge St.Andrews. The first station was to the left of bridge, where the Old Course Hotel is now. The new station was half a mile to the ...
Brian Forbes 24/12/2007