Anstruther [2nd] (1883-1965)
Opened on the Anstruther and St Andrews Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station with the main building on the westbound platform. It replaced Anstruther [1st] just to the south which was left on a short branch when the line was extended and became a goods yard.
Initially there was a short loop in the station, with a single track extending west to Anstruther Junction. Later the line was doubled from the station to the junction requiring a pair of small bridges to the west of the station be enlarged. At that time a second, eastbound, platform was installed on the north side of the loop with a waiting room and footbridge.
The 'Anstruther Station' signal box was at the west end of the eastbound platform.
Long before closure the loop was taken out, in 1926, the former eastbound platform becoming a terminating line and all through services using the westbound platform. The box at the station closed and the control was given over to the box at Anstruther Junction.
The line closed to passengers in 1965 and completely in 1966.
Little remains of the station today except the bridge on the west side and a wall of the bridge over the line once crossed by the B9131. Station Road and an industrial estate now occupy the site of the station.
St Andrews [2nd]
Other railway and industry locations
Coal Farm Coal Pit
Thirdpart Level Crossing
Kirkmay Level Crossing
Kellie Castle and Garden
Newark Castle [St Monance]
Craigtoun Country Park
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Crail, History and Guide: The Story of an Ancient Scottish Burgh
Fife's Lost Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway
The Leven & East of Fife Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
The St Andrews Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)