Anstruther Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Anstruther Junction (1883-1966)

Opened on the Leven and East of Fife Railway.
Opened on the Anstruther and St Andrews Railway.

Description

This was the junction between the Leven and East of Fife Railway of 1863 and the Anstruther and St Andrews Railway of 1883, both single track lines. With the extension the original Anstruther [1st] station became a goods yard on a short branch, replaced by Anstruther [2nd] which was to the north and a little further east. The signal box was on the north side of the junction.

Around 1898 the line from Anstruther [2nd] was doubled.

In 1926 the line to Anstruther [2nd] was turned into two single track lines, the former eastbound line becoming a terminal line in the station. Anstruther [2nd] station's box closed. The junction box became simply 'Anstruther'.

The lines closed in 1965 to passengers, when the junction box closed, and to goods in 1966.

After closure the site of the junction has become a small park. The formation is still visible.

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map


Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

Crail, History and Guide: The Story of an Ancient Scottish Burgh

Fife's Lost Railways

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

The Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway

The Leven & East of Fife Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

The Leven & East of Fife Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

The St Andrews Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)