This line closed in 1966. It was formed by the merger of the Leven Railway with the East of Fife Railway in 1861, forming a line reaching from Thornton Junction to Kilconquhar.
It was extended east to Anstruther [1st] in 1863. The line became part of the Fife Coast Line in 1883 when the Anstruther and St Andrews Railway joined railways in the north and south of the east of Fife.
A single track but scenic line, popular with tourists, it is missed.
|22/07/1861||Leven RailwayEast of Fife RailwayLeven and East of Fife Railway|
Leven Railway and East of Fife Railway merge to form the Leven and East of Fife Railway.
|01/09/1863||Leven and East of Fife Railway|
Line opened from Kilconquhar to Anstruther [1st].
|01/08/1877||Leven and East of Fife RailwayNorth British Railway|
Leven and East of Fife Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
|06/09/1965||Anstruther and St Andrews RailwayLeven and East of Fife RailwayEast of Fife Railway|
St Andrews (excluded) to Leven [2nd] (excluded) closed to passengers.
These locations are along the line.
This station was built to a design commonly used on this line. A loop, with a passenger platform on one side (north) and a loading bank (south) which was an island served on both sides. A siding to the south was served from the east. Unlike most of the other stations it was not altered from this. There was a level crossing at the west end.
This station is closed. This was originally a single platform station with a loop. To the north of the loop was the passenger platform and to the south a loading bank, which was an island with a track down either side. To the south again was a siding, approached from the east.
This was a two platform station with a loop. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
This was a two platform station on a single track line. There was a goods yard to the south - a siding looped from the line served the second face of the westbound platform and there was a siding from this, served from the east. The centre of Pittenweem itself is under half a mile to the south of the former station.
This was the junction between the Leven and East of Fife Railway of 1863 and the Anstruther and St Andrews Railway of 1883, both single track lines. With the extension the original Anstruther [1st] station became a goods yard on a short branch, replaced by Anstruther [2nd] which was to the north and a little further east. The signal box was on the north side of the junction.
This was the terminus of the Leven and East of Fife Railway in Anstruther Wester. After extension of the line to St Andrews [2nd] it became a goods only station, replaced by Anstruther [2nd] just to the north. The original line and new line met at Anstruther Junction, just to the west.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
The Leven & East of Fife Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)