Leven [2nd] (1857-1969)
Opened on the East of Fife Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station on a double track, previously a loop. The station replaced Leven [1st] to the west which became a goods yard when the Leven Railway was extended east from an end on junction by the East of Fife Railway. The line was doubled in 1910.
The main station building was on the westbound line. To its east was the signal box. The eastbound platform was added in 1910 after the doubling, complete with a second building.
At the east end of the station originally two single track lines ran east, the northern one to Durie Colliery and the southern one being the line east to Kilconquhar. After closure of the colliery the meeting points of the lines was moved further east, which extended the double track for some way east of the station.
To the west the line was originally a single track to the loop at Leven [1st], but was doubled. With this the approach to the original station was altered. This was now approached from the second station and by passing through the original station the original reversing spur for the Leven Dock line could be reached (and Kirkland Yard).
After 1965 the station was a passenger terminus, goods to the east continuing until 1966. It remained a terminus until 1969 when the passenger service ended and the line was cut back to East Fife Central Junction for Kirkland Yard.
The station site is now Station Court, a housing development. At the west end the station hotel remains.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Methil Power Station
Leven Dock Junction
Leven Colliery Nos 1 and 2 Pits
Aberhill Tram Depot
River Leven [Fife]
Methil Dock No. 3
Methil Dock No. 1
Methil Dock No. 2
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|