Great North of Scotland Railway

Introduction

Portions of this railway provide a passenger and goods service between Aberdeen and Keith (53 miles). (The line extends beyond Keith to Inverness by the former Highland Railway.) A branch to Dufftown exists, used by the Keith and Dufftown Railway Association. The goods yard at Elgin East was originally a Great North of Scotland Railway terminus.

From the original core line from Aberdeen to Keith the company expanded greatly. The company owned and purchased a number of other local lines. Reaching locations such as Aboyne, Ballater, Old Meldrum, Fraserburgh, Peterhead, Portsoy, Buckie [GNSR], Banff, Elgin [GNSR] and Boat of Garten. All these lines are now closed. Some remain as long distance footpaths. The company is often referred to as the GNoSR or GNSR.

The Great North of Scotland Railway Association was created to bring together everyone interested in the former company and its lines.

With the increased traffic due to the large number of branches the main line, between Aberdeen and Keith, was doubled. Their closure in the 1960s, and a reduction in traffic, led to the line being reduced to a single line in the 1970s, long the source of bottlenecks ever since. The City of Aberdeen has expanded greatly since the 1960s (and continues to grow) and the line was redoubled from Kittybrewster [2nd] (north of the city centre) through to Inverurie in 2019. In addition, a new Kintore station is due to open in 2020.



Dates

  /  /1805Aberdeenshire Canal
Opened from Port Elphinstone to Aberdeen Harbour. The [Great North of Scotland Railway] later used its course for its line between Port Elphinstone and Aberdeen Waterloo.
  /  /1845[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Company formed.
26/06/1846[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Act receives Royal assent.
The route was to be Aberdeen to Inverness with Grange to Banff and Portsoy, Orton to Garmouth, Alves to Burghhead branches.
  /  /1847Aberdeen RailwayGreat North of Scotland Railway
Fusion Act made available to merge the Aberdeen Railway with the Great North of Scotland Railway (not used).
  /  /1849[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Shortened route from Keith to Kittybrewster proposed.
  /  /1850[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Authorisation to extend the line from Kittybrewster to Guild Street given. This was allowed to lapse.
  /  /1850Nairn and Elgin Railway
Nairn and Elgin Railway promoted. Offered ú40,000 by the [Great North of Scotland Railway] to continue to Keith.
25/11/1852[Great North of Scotland Railway]
First Sod cut at Westhall near Oyne.
  /  /1854[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Authorisation to build line from Kittybrewster to Aberdeen Waterloo given.
  /09/1854[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Huntly to Kittybrewster inspected.
12/09/1854[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Huntly to Kittybrewster opened to freight. Passing places at: Kittybrewster, Kintore, Inverurie, Insch and Huntly.
19/09/1854[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Huntly to Kittybrewster official opening.
20/09/1854[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Huntly to Kittybrewster opened to passengers. Stations at: Kittybrewster, Buxsburn, Dyce, Kintore, Inverurie, Pitcaple, Oyne, Insch, Kennethmont, Gartly, Huntly
20/09/1854[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Aberdeen Kittybrewster opened.
01/12/1854[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Kinaldie, Buchanstone and Wardhouse opened.
25/05/1855[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Keith to Huntly authorised.
24/09/1855[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Kittybrewster to Aberdeen Waterloo opened to goods. Kittybrewster rebuilt on Waterloo line.
01/04/1856Great North of Scotland Railway
Kittybrewster [1st] to Aberdeen Waterloo opened completely (with horse tramway to the Aberdeen Railway's terminus at Aberdeen Guild street).
01/04/1856[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Aberdeen Kittybrewster closed.
01/04/1856[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Aberdeen Waterloo opened.
10/10/1856[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Huntly to Keith opened. Stations at: Huntly, Rothiemay, Grange and Keith.
  /  /1857[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Inveramsay opened.
  /  /1858[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Woodside opened.
  /  /1860Great North of Scotland Railway
Great North of Scotland Railway sells its Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway shares.
  /  /1860[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Kittybrewster to Dyce doubled (but not used).
18/07/1861[Formartine and Buchan Railway]
Opened from Dyce ([Great North of Scotland Railway]) to Mintlaw.
18/07/1861[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Double track from Kittybrewster to Dyce brought into use on opened of [Formartine and Buchan Railway].
13/05/1862[Deeside Extension Railway]
Line leased by [Great North of Scotland Railway] to block authorisation of a new line from Stonehaven to Kintore.
13/05/1862[Deeside Railway]
Line leased by [Great North of Scotland Railway] to block authorisation of a new line from Stonehaven to Kintore.
01/07/1863[Montrose and Bervie Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
[Aberdeen Junction Railway]
Circumbendibus project proposed between the Great North of Scotland Railway and the Montrose and Bervie Railway to provide a new route to the south. This receives Royal assent and would have been called the [Aberdeen Junction Railway].
01/07/1863[Montrose and Bervie Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
[Aberdeen Junction Railway]
Circumbendibus project ([Aberdeen Junction Railway]) project abandoned. Montrose and Bervie Railway shares sold by the Great North of Scotland Railway.
23/06/1864[Denburn Valley Line]
Denburn Valley line to connect the [Great North of Scotland Railway] at Kittbrewster to the Scottish North Eastern Railway at Guild Street authorised.
  /  /1865[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Financial difficulties arise - no share dividends paid until 1874.
  /  /1866[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Buchanstone closed.
30/07/1866[Banff Macduff and Turriff Junction Railway]
[Banff Macduff and Turriff Extension Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Aberdeen and Turriff Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway.
30/07/1866[Inverury and Old Meldrum Junction Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Inverury and Old Meldrum Junction Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway. (Alternative date 14/6/1858).
30/07/1866[Alford Valley Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Alford Valley Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway.
30/07/1866[Keith and Dufftown Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Keith and Dufftown Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway.
30/07/1866[Formartine and Buchan Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Formartine and Buchan Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway.
30/07/1866[Strathspey Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Strathspey Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway.
30/07/1866[Deeside Railway]
[Deeside Extension Railway]
[Aboyne and Braemar Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Deeside lines leased for 999 years by Great North of Scotland Railway.
12/08/1867[Banff Portsoy and Strathisla Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Banffshire Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway.
04/11/1867[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Aberdeen Waterloo closed on the opening of the [Denburn Valley Line] from Kittybrewster to Aberdeen Joint.
  /  /1874[Great North of Scotland Railway]
First share dividends since 1865 paid.
  /  /1874[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Pitmeddan opened.
01/08/1875[Deeside Extension Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Deeside Extension Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway.
01/10/1875[Deeside Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Deeside Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway. (Alternative date 1/8/1875).
31/01/1876[Aboyne and Braemar Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Aboyne and Braemar Railway absorbed by the Great North of Scotland Railway.
01/07/1880[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Doubled Dyce to Kintore opened.
11/08/1881[Morayshire Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Morayshire Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway. (Alternative date: 1880).
  /  /1882[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Don Street, Bankhead and Stoneywood opened.
01/05/1882[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Doubled Kintore to Inveramsay opened.
01/04/1884[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Portsoy to Tochieneal opened. Stations opened: Portsoy (New), Glassaugh and Tochieneal.
01/04/1884Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway
A new Portsoy [2nd] station opened on the Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway) and old one, Portsoy [1st], closed.
12/08/1885Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway)
Lossie Junction (Morayshire Railway) to Garmouth opened. Stations opened: Calcots, Urquhart and Garmouth.
01/05/1886[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Tochieneal to Garmouth opened. Stations opened: Cullen, Portknockie, Findochty, Portessie, Buckie, Nether Buckie, Port Gordon and Fochabers.
01/05/1886[Banff Portsoy and Strathisla Railway]
[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Grange curve opened.
  /  /1887[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Nether Buckie renamed Buckpool.
  /07/1887[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Aberdeen Suburban service begins; Bankend and Stoneywood opened. (Alternative date for station openings 1882).
19/07/1887[Banff Portsoy and Strathisla Railway]
[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Grange curve authorised retrospectively.
01/01/1888[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Hutcheon Street and Don Street opened.
27/10/1888[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Doubled Inveramsay to Insch opened.
  /  /1890[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Forms Hotel Committee.
  /  /1891[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Palace Hotel
The railway buys the hotel.
22/08/1891[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Palace Hotel, Aberdeen, opened.
  /  /1893[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Schoolhill opened.
  /  /1894[Great North of Scotland Railway]
[Deeside Railway]
Aberdeen suburban service extended to Culter on the [Deeside Railway]. Holburn Street, Pitfodels and West Cults stations opened.
01/08/1896[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Doubled Insch to Kennethmont opened.
20/09/1896[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Doubled Kennethmont to Gartly opened.
30/11/1896[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Doubled Gartly to Huntly opened.
  /  /1897[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Buxsburn renamed Bucksburn.
02/08/1897[Great North of Scotland Railway]
[Boddam Branch] opened to passengers.
  /  /1898[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Cairnie Junction station opened to save dividing trains for portions for the [Banff Portsoy and Strathisla Railway] at Huntly.
  /  /1898Ardmore Distillery
Opened by William Teachers beside the [Great North of Scotland Railway] at Kennethmont.
17/01/1898[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Doubled Rothiemay to Keith opened.
17/01/1898[Banff Portsoy and Strathisla Railway]
[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Doubled Grange Curve, North Grange to South Grange, opened.
17/01/1898[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Doubled Huntly to Avochie signal box (near Rothiemay) opened.
  /06/1899[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Cruden Bay Hotel and tramway opened.
08/09/1899[St Combs Light Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Line authorised.
  /  /1900[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Doubled Rothiemay to Avochie opened.
  /  /1901[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Inverurie works - Carriages - opened.
  /  /1902[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Inverurie works - Locomotives - opened.
  /  /1902[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Elgin station re-built.
10/02/1902[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Inverurie (New) opened.
10/02/1902[Great North of Scotland Railway]
[Inverury and Old Meldrum Junction Railway]
Inverurie (New) station opened further north. The new station had a bay platform for the Old Meldrum trains.
  /  /1903[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Persley opened.
  /  /1903[Great North of Scotland Railway]
[Alford Valley Railway]
[Inverury and Old Meldrum Junction Railway]
[St Combs Light Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Railcars used on the Alford, Lossiemouth, Old Meldrum and St Combs lines.
  /07/1903[St Combs Light Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Kirkton Bridge opened.
  /  /1904[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Railcars scrapped.
  /  /1905[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Inverurie works - Permanent Way - opened.
  /  /1906[Great North of Scotland Railway]
[Highland Railway]
Amalgamation of the Great North of Scotland Railway with the Highland Railway falls through.
  /  /1910[Denburn Valley Line]
Station Hotel acquired by the [Great North of Scotland Railway].
  /  /1918[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Fochabers renamed Spey Bay.
01/01/1923North British Railway Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway Great North of Scotland Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway Gifford and Garvald Railway Newburgh and North Fife Railway Lauder Light Railway Great Central Railway
Grouped into London and North Eastern Railway.
31/10/1932[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Boddam to Ellon and Cruden Bay Hotel Tramway closed to passengers.
  /  /1941[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Cruden Bay Hotel Tramway closed to all traffic.
  /  /1945[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Line closed completely. Stations used as railway offices.
  /  /1945[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Entire line occupied by wagons awaiting repair.
  /  /1947[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Cruden Bay Hotel demolished from 1947 to 1952. Remains used to build Charles Alexanders house at Bush near Montrose.
31/12/1948[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Boddam to Ellon officially closed.
  /  /1950[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Track lifted.
07/11/1960[St Combs Light Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
St Combs to Fraserburgh closed to freight.
23/06/1962RCTS Railtour
Excursion train hauled by [Caledonian Railway] 123 and [Great North of Scotland Railway] 49 from Ayr to Stranraer.
20/04/1964[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Lossie Junction to Buckie closed to freight.
04/05/1965[St Combs Light Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
St Combs to Fraserburgh closed to passengers. (Alternative date 3/5/1964).
06/05/1968[Banff Portsoy and Strathisla Railway]
[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
[Morayshire Railway]
Elgin to Buckie to Cairnie Junction closed to passengers.
06/05/1968[Banff Portsoy and Strathisla Railway]
[Moray Coast Railway] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Buckie to Cairnie Junction closed to all traffic.
  /  /1980[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Narrow-gauge Port Errol Railway (Cruden Bay to Slains Castle) opened.
  /  /1984[Boddam Branch] ([Great North of Scotland Railway])
Port Errol Railway track moved to Banff to become the West Buchan Railway.
  /  /1999[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Listed, but decrepit, station buildings at Huntly replaced with new building.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was the short lived Aberdeen terminus of the Great North of Scotland Railway.
...

More details

This two platform through station was opened with the Denburn Valley Line (Great North of Scotland Railway). It replaced Kittybrewster [1st], which was to its immediate east and located on the Aberdeen Waterloo branch. The line was opened as a double track between Denburn Junction and Kittybrewster Junction in 1867.
...

More details
Class B1 61308 at Kittybrewster on 3.55pm Inverness-Aberdeen during the last week of steam, September 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith 09/09/1961
The view south from Powis Terrace towards Aberdeen. This part is double track but it drops to single before reaching Aberdeen itself. ...
Duncan Ross /08/2018
Taken from the Kittybrewster Retail Park in October 2018, this is the newly relaid Aberdeen Harbour Branch. The small sign on the right is a reminder ...
Alan Cormack 29/10/2018
The view north from Powis Terrace showing the new layout for the Waterloo branch and the doubled track. ...
Duncan Ross /08/2018

This depot was both a roundhouse and shed. Approach was from the north and the shed was located on the west side of the line.
...

More details

This yard was located to the east of Kittybrewster [2nd] station. It was served from the north. A loop came off the main line to the south of the station and rejoined at Kittybrewster Junction north of the station. This crossed the Aberdeen Waterloo line to the south of the station.
...

More details
Kittybrewster, a general view from the south in 1957. This shows the marshalling sidings. Off to the left is the line down to Waterloo, the station ...
David Murray-Smith //1957
GNSR D40 4-4-0 62275 Sir David Stewart about to pass what was then its home shed at Kittybrewster with a special train for Macduff on Saturday ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 07/07/1951
Shunting at Kittybrewster on 17 July 1950. The locomotive is ex-GNSR D41 4-4-0 no 62232. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/07/1950

This junction was located north of Kittybrewster [2nd] station.
...

More details
Class B1 4-6-0 no 61352 passing Kittybrewster on 10 February 1960 with the 2.15pm Aberdeen to Inverness train.
See
David Murray-Smith 10/02/1960
Freightliner 66 on a ballast train at Kittybrewster on 11th August 2019.
...
Duncan Ross 11/08/2019
A view from the front of a DMU on 01 June 1974 of Kittybrewster Junction looking north towards the road bridge carrying St Machar Drive over the ...
John McIntyre 01/06/1974
There was no redoubling activity at Inverurie or Kintore on 11th August 2019, but plenty at Kittybrewster.
...
Duncan Ross 11/08/2019

This was a two platform suburban station in Aberdeen. The station was between Kittybrewster [2nd] and Woodside [GNSR]. The eastbound/southbound platform had a small building, later joined by a small building on the facing platform. There were no goods facilities.
...

More details
Standard 4MT 2-6-4T 80114 at Don Street overbridge (Woodside) on 1225 to Peterhead. ...
David Murray-Smith 20/02/1960
Ex-LMSR 2P 4-4-0 40649 passing Don Street overbridge (Woodside) on a northbound freight in April 1958. ...
David Murray-Smith 05/04/1958
A Swindon Cross Country Class 120 DMU on an Aberdeen to Elgin service approaches the site of the former Don Street station (closed 1937) in late ...
John McIntyre /09/1973
Looking south at the former Don Street station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a suburban station in Aberdeen. It was a two platform station. There were no goods facilities.
...

More details

This was a two platform suburban station in Aberdeen. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. There were no goods facilities.
...

More details
Persley station seen in the early 1960s. ...
David Murray-Smith //
A 4-car DMU on a Fraserburgh-Aberdeen train running between Persley and Bucksburn in 1961. The Twin Spires Creamery and the Bucksburn goods yard are ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
Persley station detail, seen in the early 1960s. ...
David Murray-Smith //1960
One of Kittybrewster shed's B1 4-6-0s no 61343 heading north west out of Aberdeen in the summer of 1950. The train is between the sites of Woodside ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 11/07/1950

This five arch two track viaduct crosses the Bucks Burn, and a road, immediately west of Bucksburn station.
...

More details
Class B1 61324 at Bucksburn on an up train in 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith //1961

This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the northbound platform with a smaller one on the southbound. Both had substantial glazed canopies.
...

More details
Ex NBR Class J36 65307 near Bucksburn on an up freight in 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
NBL Type 2 diesel on 1415 Aberdeen to Forres at Bucksburn in 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
View of Bucksburn station from the forecourt in 1961. This was the westbound platform building. The station had closed in 1956 but was still open to ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
NBL Type 2 D6138 at Bucksburn on a Buchan parcels train circa 1961.
See query 2113 ...
David Murray-Smith //1961

This was a two platform suburban station in Aberdeen. There were buildings on each platform. There were no goods facilities.
...

More details
Progress on the re-doubling of the line seen at Bankhead. ...
Duncan Ross 23/07/2018

This was a two platform station with no goods facilities. The platforms were north of Market Street with the waiting rooms close to the road bridge crossing the line. A stone built recess into the embankment on the west side, for the northbound waiting room, remains.
...

More details
A photograph of the extensive rail works near Bankhead at the former Stoneywood station site. This view looks north. The extensive soil nailing and ...
Alan Cormack 21/06/2018
The view looking south away from the former Stoneywood station site. The extensive soil nailing and embankment reinforcement is evident. It looks ...
Alan Cormack 21/06/2018
This is the line looking west at Stoneywood 2km before Dyce. Preparation is under way for the doubling of the line. A lot of vegetation has been ...
Alan Cormack 09/05/2018
Looking north at the former Stoneywood station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This is a two platform station with a car park in the village of Dyce on the east side of Aberdeen Airport.
...

More details
Night time view south alongside Dyce signal box in 2007. ...
Ewan Crawford 28/01/2007
Having the world's busiest heliport on its landward side means Dyce fairly thrums with the sound of helicopters going to and from North Sea platforms; ...
David Panton 20/09/2018
Edinburgh (right) and Inverness services pass at Dyce on 20 September 2018. The line from Aberdeen had been closed for months for redoubling, so I was ...
David Panton 20/09/2018
An evening at Dyce. ...
John Yellowlees 01/09/2016

This works provided creosote coated sleepers for the Great North of Scotland Railway. The works was within the 'V' of the junction north of Dyce station. The former Dyce Buchan signal box was retained after its closure in 1928 as an office for the works foreman.
...

More details

This station was 400 yds north of the later Dyce station, opened with the opening of the Formartine and Buchan Railway. The station closed in 1861.
...

More details

These sidings were opened in 2007 around the time of the closure of the goods yard at Aberdeen Guild Street. In addition to the provision of the sidings the loop at Dyce was extended and coloured lights replaced semaphore.
...

More details
By the time you have read all the Safety notices at Raith's Farm there's a good chance you will have missed your train! The younger generation must ...
Duncan Ross 30/06/2019
Raith's Farm sidings are a hive of activity on 30th June 2019 with four Freightliner Class 66s visible in this one photo. ...
Duncan Ross 30/06/2019
PW trains and a considerable number of sleepers in storage at Raith's Farm in connection with the redoubling works. ...
Duncan Ross 02/06/2019
Track machine in Raith's Farm Sidings seen over the Aberdeen-Inverness line. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2018

This small station had a level crossing to the east. The platforms were in timber with small timber shelters.
...

More details
Pitmedden signal box and level crossing in May 1960. ...
David Murray-Smith 15/05/1960
The substantial base of the demolished signal box at the former Pitmedden station. All along the stretch of line from Dyce to Kintore are access ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2018
Large logo 'Highland Rail' Class 47 hauled Scotrail (BR) coaching stock on its way to Aberdeen with a stop at the recently re-opened Dyce Station. ...
Charlie Niven /07/1988
A westbound Class 170 passes the site of Pitmedden station on 19 October 2017 heading for Inverurie. The stone base of the former signalbox is above ...
John McIntyre 19/10/2017

This was a two platform station. The main station building, with crow-stepped gables, was on the Aberdeen bound platform. This was the original platform when the line was single track.
...

More details
A GNoSR lamp, on the station building at Kinaldie station, circa 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
A westbound train runs through the disused station at Kinaldie, passing the still intact steps to the eastbound platform. The station is north of the ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2018
View west over the site of the former Kinaldie station. The platforms have been removed as part of the redoubling works. ...
Duncan Ross 02/06/2019
Freightliner 66565 with a permanent way train passing the former goods yard for Kinaldie station on 2nd June 2019 with the ongoing redoubling works ...
Duncan Ross 02/06/2019

This level crossing was controlled by a signal box, a gate box. The crossing is south of Kintore [1st] station.
...

More details
Boat of Kintore Level Crossing seen from the north east. The road is closed during redoubling works. ...
Duncan Ross 02/06/2019
The large (and growing) spoil heap at Boat of Kintore level crossing, seen on 21st July 2019. ...
Duncan Ross 21/07/2019
Boat of Kintore Level Crossing looking to Inverness. The former signal box was located to the right here. The lifted up (eastbound) track was also to ...
Ewan Crawford 03/02/1997
Boat of Kintore level crossing looking to the village in July 2019. The new station will be north of the village and former station site.
...
Duncan Ross 21/07/2019

This was a three platform station. There were two platforms on the main line and a bay platform at the north end, on the west side, for the Alford branch. There was a goods yard also at the north end on the west side, approached from the north. There was a turntable for the branch locomotive.
...

More details
Brush Class 31 Type 2 D5511 near Kintore on the 7.40am Inverness to Aberdeen service in August 1958. (Railscot note: D5511 spent a period undergoing ...
David Murray-Smith 12/08/1958
View east of the former Kintore station from the loading bank in 1997. The former goods station has been obliterated and is now The Carriages. As a ...
Ewan Crawford 03/02/1997
View west from the west end of the former Kintore station looking towards the junction for Alford. There was a bay platform to the left by the goods ...
Ewan Crawford 03/02/1997
Kintore former Down platform looking a little overgrown in October 2012. Hopefully it may re-open when this part of the Aberdeen to Inverness line is ...
John McIntyre 19/10/2012

This new two platform station is under construction to the north west of Kintore. In addition the railway, which had been reduced to a single track, was re-doubled in 2019 (see below).
...

More details
Grab shot of the new Kintore platform on 7th September 2019. ...
John Yellowlees 07/09/2019
Works at Kintore on 17th September 2019. ...
John Yellowlees 17/09/2019
A view over the new works at Kintore on 22nd August 2019. ...
Duncan Ross 22/08/2019
New platforms and associated construction works at Kintore on 22nd August 2019. ...
Duncan Ross 22/08/2019

This location is south of Inverurie. The Port Elphinstone Mills (1858-2009) were served with sidings after their opening.
...

More details

This location is south of Inverurie. There was a halt of some description in 1854 - perhaps railway staff only. It did not remain in use as a station.
...

More details
The base of the former signal box at Port Elphinstone (box closed 1969). This was on the east side of the line. ...
Duncan Ross 22/08/2019
Looking north at Port Elphinstone. Class 47 freight in sidings. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This viaduct is just north of Port Elphinstone. It carried the railway over the River Don and the course of the former Aberdeenshire Canal (just to the south of the river).
...

More details

The original station at Inverurie was south of the current station. It had an island platform for the Aberdeen bound trains and Inverury and Old Meldrum Junction Railway branch. The branch platform terminated with a turntable and was also a loop back onto the main line. The main station building was on the northbound platform with another on the island platform, which was accessed by ...

More details
Inverurie foot crossing, with work still in progress, on 11th August 2019.
...
Duncan Ross 11/08/2019

This is a two platform station with a large station building on the westbound platform. The station has a large car park. The station building has something of the appearance of distilleries to its design.
...

More details
Unwontedly (but not unwantedly) this Inverness to Aberdeen service was formed by an HST rather than an overcrowded 158. The conductor blamed late ...
David Panton 02/10/2019
Detail of the cupola styled ventilator over the west end of Inverure's station building. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2018
My view from The Coco Works cafe of Inverurie station's platforms. ...
John Yellowlees 04/10/2017
Notice at the Insch end of Platform 2, Inverurie.
...
John Yellowlees 07/09/2019

This former works of the Great North of Scotland Railway is being redeveloped for a number of uses.
...

More details
Ex CR Class 2F 57232 at Inverurie Works in 1961. ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
The refurbished offices of the GNSR Works, Inverurie, on 28 March 2018 looking east across Harlaw Road. Works buildings occupied much of the area ...
Andy Furnevel 28/03/2018
Interesting juxtaposition of a new sign in totem style and an abandoned part of the Inverurie Works beyond. The view looks east. ...
John Yellowlees 24/03/2018
The original GNSR boiler and erecting shops at Inverurie Works (1905-1969), looking east from alongside Harlaw Road on 28 March 2018. Much of the ...
Andy Furnevel 28/03/2018

This was the junction station for the Banff, Macduff and Turriff Junction Railway. It opened with the branch. Although it also served the local area, with a low population and largely farmland, its chief purpose was as an interchange station. The station opened with the opening of the branch and closed with its closing to passengers.
...

More details
The view south from the Banff and Macduff side of Inveramsay showing the signals in 1961. The main line is to the right. ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
View looking north west of the remaining station building at Inveramsay in 1999. This building was on the main line Aberdeen bound platform (left) and ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
The view north at Inveramsay station in 1961. The Macduff platform lines are shown. Further to the left were the mainline platforms. The branch closed ...
David Murray-Smith //1961
GNSR 49 pauses before joining the mainline again at Inveramsay with the 1960 RCTS/SLS Joint Scottish Tour. Today the platforms remain here but the ...
WA Camwell (Copyright Stephenson Locomotive Society) 13/06/1960

This was a two platform station. The station building on the eastbound platform survives long after closure of the station. The signal box, at the east end of the westbound platform, survived long after its closure, demolished in the 2000s. The line has been slewed to midway between the platforms.
...

More details
An Aberdeen bound Class 158 is seen just east of Pitcaple station site on 16 October 2012. ...
John McIntyre 16/10/2012
An EE Type 1 with a westbound freight at Pitcaple in April 1961.
See query 2116 ...
David Murray-Smith 13/04/1961
Looking east over the former Pitcaple station and signalbox. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking east over the former Pitcaple station and signalbox. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a two platform station. There was a goods yard on the south side reached by a reversing spur, itself reached by reversing east from the westbound line through the station.
...

More details
Looking east from the level crossing at Oyne over the site of the former station in 2006. ...
John Furnevel 08/11/2006
The level crossing at Oyne looking towards the station site on 16 October 2012. Although the telegraph poles are still standing the wires appear to ...
John McIntyre 16/10/2012

This station was at Mill of Buchanstone, just north west of the Rettie cottages. There was a siding to the south of the line, served from the east, and a small building on the north side of the line.
...

More details

This is a two platform station with a fine stone building on the eastbound platform, dating from 1880. There is a good example of a Great North of Scotland Railway waiting shelter on the westbound platform. The station is at Rothney, to the south of Insch. There is a fine footbridge between the platforms.
...

More details
An unusual view across the platforms at Insch station. A mixture of old and new. ...
Alan Cormack 23/06/2017
A quiet moment at Insch on 16 October 2012 in a view west under the footbridge and across the level crossing on the double track section to ...
John McIntyre 16/10/2012
Insch station, seen from the north, on 23rd June 2017. ...
Alan Cormack 23/06/2017
A train on its way to Aberdeen just after leaving Insch. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2018

This was a two platform station. A stone station building still stands on the former eastbound platform. There was a small timber building on the westbound platform. There was a level crossing at the east end of the station. There were no goods facilities.
...

More details
Looking north at the former Wardhouse station building. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Wardhouse station remains 2006. ...
John Furnevel /11/2006
Across the field stands the abandoned Wardhouse station on the Aberdeen - Keith line. Nov 2006. ...
John Furnevel 08/11/2006

This was a two platform station. The westbound platform and building remain intact. The station is at the west end of a long loop from Insch station.
...

More details
Telegraph wires cross the B9002 west of Kennethmont by means of two very high poles. The Aberdeen-Inverness route contains some of the last stretches ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2018
Wonderful! The station building at the former Kennethmont station has been restored. 6th October 2018. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2018
Kennethmont signal box, November 2006. ...
John Furnevel 08/11/2006
Birds take fright and flight as an eastbound train passes Kennethmont box. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a two platform station. The main station building, two storeys, still stands on the former westbound (down) platform. The building is now in use as a house. The remaining track is by this platform, slightly slewed.
...

More details
The closed station at Gartly, Aberdeenshire, in November 2006, showing the road approach from the south. ...
John Furnevel 08/11/2006
Looking south towards Aberdeen from the level crossing at Gartly in November 2006. ...
John Furnevel 08/11/2006

This is a two platform station. There is a modern station building on the westbound platform. On the east side of the line is an extensive goods yard, served from the south. Latterly the yard dealt with timber traffic but in the past it saw potato traffic.
...

More details
Huntly signal box seen in 1997 before it was rebuilt and extended ([see image 8903] for a post extension view). This was formerly the south cabin. ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
The 0900 Inverness - Aberdeen service seen arriving at Huntly on 10 October 2018. ...
Andy Furnevel 10/10/2018
High on the wall at the Junction of the Square and Duke Street in Huntly is this lovely Blue enamelled British Railways sign, pointing towards the ...
Caleb Abbott 22/11/2018
158 727 calls at Huntly in June 1999 with a service to Inverness. ...
David Panton /06/1999

This temporary signal box controlled the east end of Deveron Viaduct. When the line was doubled, the single track viaduct required replacement. In the interim this box controlled the east end of the short single track section over the old bridge.
...

More details

This is a formerly double track viaduct over the River Deveron east of the former Rothiemay station. The viaduct carries one track today.
...

More details
Just published by Kessock Books, the new Insider Guide on the Aberdeen to Elgin and Inverness Railway by David Fasken and David Spaven. ...
Ewan Crawford 19/11/2017
Looking east to Avochie signalbox. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The girder bridge carrying the Inverness-Aberdeen line across the River Deveron by Rothiemay (between Keith and Huntly), looking south on ...
David Spaven 14/09/2013
Britannia Pacific 70013 Oliver Cromwell crosses the River Deveron north of Huntly with The Great Britain III. Engine nameplate has a ...
John Gray 11/04/2010

This was a two platform station on a double track line. There was a goods yard on the north side, approached by reversal from the east.
...

More details
One of the scheduled stops made by 'Scottish Grand Tour no 11' on 5 September 1970 was at Rothiemay, notwithstanding that the station had been closed ...
Bill Jamieson 05/09/1970
Looking over the site of Rothiemay station (closed May 1968) on 17 April 2010 [see image 28546]. Nothing exists at the location today other than ...
John Williamson 17/04/2010
Grand Scottish Tour no 11 stands at Rothiemay on 5 September 1970 behind EE Type 4 no D364. [See image 28562] ...
Bill Jamieson 05/09/1970

This was an exchange station. The main line remains open here but is now a single track with little hint of the former station. A platelayers hut remains, this was south of the station on the west side of the line. The track is the former westbound line, the eastbound being lifted. The kink of the line round the station has been straightened.
...

More details
Looking west at the former Cairnie Junction station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The 12.00 Aberdeen-Inverness DMU heads north towards Cairnie Junction on 14tháSeptember 2013, with Knock Hill in the background. ...
David Spaven 14/09/2013
Last remnant of Cairnie Junction. A surviving trackside box near the station site, photographed on 1 February 1997. ...
Ewan Crawford 01/02/1997
66097 hurries south at the head of 4D31, the 10.27 Elgin-Grangemouth whisky service, south of Cairnie Junction on 14tháSeptember 2013. This was the ...
David Spaven 14/09/2013

This was a two platform station for much of its existence. From 1859 to 1886 it was the junction station for the Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway with the junction at the east end of the station. Because of this it had a turntable at the east end, north of the line. There was a bay at the east end of the eastbound platform. The station had a loop before the main line was doubled. The main ...

More details
The site of Grange station on the Aberdeen - Inverness line with only the remains of the down platform left.
...
John Williamson 19/04/2009
Sprinter passing Grange, view looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This signal box was east of Keith Junction. It opened with the doubling of the line from Rothiemay in 1898.
...

More details

This refers to the actual junction. For the station see Keith. This junction was formed in 1858 between the Great North of Scotland Railway and the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway further added to with the opening of the Keith and Dufftown Railway in 1862.
...

More details
Keith Junction Excursion Platform looking towards Keith Town on 7th November 2017. This is now mainly used for stabling of the Royal Scotsman train.
...
Caleb Abbott 07/11/2017
Keith signal box is somewhat past its best and a little saggy. It presides over the only loop outwith a station on the Aberdeen-Inverness line. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2018
Exchange at Keith in August 1987. ...
Ian Dinmore /08/1987
View east towards Keith signal box in August 1987. ...
Ian Dinmore /08/1987

Keith Shed opened with the extension of the Great North of Scotland Railway to Keith.
...

More details
A lonely looking Type 2 at Keith shed in July 1962. [See image 5347] ...
R Sillitto/A Renfrew Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) /07/1962
McIntosh 2P no 55185 stands at Keith shed in March 1959. The locomotive was withdrawn by BR in July 1961 following official closure of the shed to ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 25/03/1959
Thompson Class B1 61350 on shed at Keith on 17th May 1952. Photograph by AC Roberts. ...
Graham Morgan Collection 17/05/1952

This is a one platform station, with a second out of use platform on the former route to Dufftown. There is a passing loop to the east of the station, inconvenient when trains are running late.
...

More details
43134 arriving at Keith (formerly Keith Junction) with a Huntly to Inverness service, on 16th June 2019. We were expecting another 158 unit so this ...
David Bosher 26/06/2019
An Inverness to Aberdeen service calls at Keith on 26 September 2017. Keith
...
David Panton 26/09/2017
The GNSR goods shed at Keith still stands. In the foreground is the Dufftown platform line, the buffer on this line being not far behind the camera. ...
David Prescott 30/01/2018
Keith station 2006. ...
John Furnevel /11/2006