This line is open. ScotRail operates a service between Edinburgh and Bathgate and on to Airdrie and Glasgow.
Until recently occasional freight trains carrying cars made use of the line to run to a car distribution terminal in Bathgate.
|/ /1846||Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway|
Act receives Royal assent
|/ /1849||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Extended from Longridge [2nd] to Bathgate. This line may have reached Bathgate before the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway, which formed a connection with it.
|12/11/1849||Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway|
Line opened from Newbridge Junction to Bathgate [1st].
|01/01/1923||North British Railway
Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway
Great North of Scotland Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway
Gifford and Garvald Railway
Newburgh and North Fife Railway
Lauder Light Railway
Great Central Railway|
Grouped into London and North Eastern Railway.
|12/06/1934||Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway|
A road tanker crashes into a overbridge by Uphall station killing a man and injuring a youth
|08/01/1956||Glasgow City and District Railway
Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway)
Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway
New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)
Boghead to Cowdenhead Branch (Monkland Railways)
Torbanehill and Bathgate Branch (Monkland Railways)
Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
|24/03/1986||Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway|
Re-opened to passengers with stations at Uphall, Livingston North, and Bathgate.
|/06/2006||Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway|
Bathgate LMD, a light maintenance depot, proposed as part of the Airdrie-Bathgate re-opening.
|16/10/2010||Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway|
Bathgate [4th] closed, replaced by Bathgate two days later.
|18/10/2010||Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway|
Bathgate station opened, a through station, replacing the Bathgate [4th] terminus
These locations are along the line.
This was a two platform station just under a mile south of Broxburn. The main building was on the eastbound platform.
This was not a true junction. The double track line from Newbridge Junction, to the east, singled here as it continued west. A temporary panel box opened in 1986, closing when taken over by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.
East of Uphall station was the junction for the Camps Branch (North British Railway). It was on the south side of the main line opposite Uphall Junction (slightly to the east). The junctions shared a signal box. The branch ran south to Camps Quarry and the Pumpherston Oil Works.
This is a two platform station with a car park alongside each platform. Uphall itself is to the north and the station is in the village of Uphall Station, which developed after the station opened.
This was the junction for the short Bangour [Hospital] branch. A box opened here in 1903 in preparation for the branch opening. The branch was from the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway, on the north side and approached from the east.
This is a modern two platform station. The original Livingston [1st] station was further west.
The single track line from Cawburn Junction divided here into two single track lines, running parallel and with the appearance of a double track railway, which ran west for over two miles to Bathgate [4th]. The northern line ran to the passenger station and southern to the car distribution sidings. The layout opened coinciding with the opening of the station in 1986.
This was the original station in Livingston closed in 1948 along with other stations between Airdrie and Newbridge Junction. It was a two platform station. There was a dock at the east end of the westbound platform, the line serving this coming from a long siding on the south side of the line, approached from the west. The signal box was to the west of the station and on the south side of ...More details
This junction opened in 1875 to serve the Seafield Oil Works near West Calder. The branch, North British Railway owned, was single track. The junction made a trailing connection with a trailing crossover to the west. The signal box was to the north of the junction.
West Calder Branch Junction was moved further west in 1920, this brought it closer to Bathgate Shed and Bathgate Yard which now had looped sidings rather than sidings only approached from the west. The new box controlled their eastern approach. The new connection was trailing but with a facing crossover. The West Calder Branch Junction box was replaced with a new box ^Bathgate East^ at ...More details
This is a Light Maintenance Depot to the east of Bathgate station and on the south side of the line. It was opened in connection with the electrification of the line and re-opening west to Airdrie (and Drumgelloch).
Bathgate shed was east of Bathgate Upper and on the north side of the line. This six road shed was replaced in 1954 with a new four road shed on the same site. Approach was from the east. It was the third shed in Bathgate.
This junction was created in 1850 when the 1849 Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway was met by the Longridge to Bathgate (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) line just east of Bathgate [1st] station. The connection faced Edinburgh, allowing goods and minerals to run through whereas passenger trains would need to reverse to reach Bathgate station.
This was the fourth station to be opened in Bathgate and, when opened, the first in the town for twenty years following the closure of Bathgate Upper in 1956.
This was the first station in Bathgate. It appeared in working timetables as Bathgate E&G as that company operated the independent Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway.