Glasgow City and District Railway

Introduction

This line is open. This line was built to connect together lines in the west and the east of Glasgow and serve central Glasgow with new stations. The line runs mostly in tunnels built using the cut and cover method of construction. It provided an alternative route for North British Railway trains which were mostly used the Queen Street station High Level terminus until this line opened; leading to capacity problems. The line is electrified. The name was the City and District Railway, with the prefix 'Glasgow' added to indicate the city.

Why built

With increasing traffic to Glasgow from the west Glasgow Queen Street High Level was increasingly becoming an unsuitable terminus due to the difficulties of operating the Cowlairs Incline and the low capacity of the terminus. A new terminus in the west of the city centre was proposed and the plan revised several times before the new cross-city underground line was settled on.






Dates

28/08/1863Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway
Line opened as a single track. Stations at; Bearsden, Milngavie. The line ran from Milngavie to Milngavie Junction (later renamed Westerton Junction) with trains continuing to Glasgow Queen Street High Level until the Glasgow City and District Railway opened after which trains started to serve Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.
  /  /1882Glasgow City and District Railway
Glasgow City and District Railway authorised
15/03/1886Glasgow City and District Railway
Yorkhill to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to High Street opened. A third rail was used for train lighting.
01/08/1886Glasgow City and District Railway
Knightswood North Junction to Knightswood South Junction opened. The section included a tunnel under the Forth and Clyde Canal and Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
  /  /1887Glasgow City and District Railway
North British Railway
Glasgow City and District Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/02/1887Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway
Circular service introduced by the North British Railway.
01/06/1892Glasgow City and District Railway
Bridgeton Cross (later Bridgeton Central) branch opened. Stations; Gallowgate Central, Bridgeton Cross.
  /  /1901Glasgow City and District Railway
3rd rail removed.
12/01/1903Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway
Circular service withdrawn.
01/02/1913City of Glasgow Union Railway
Glasgow and South Western Railway services from the City of Glasgow Union Railway to Bridgeton Central are withdrawn. The link between the City of Glasgow Union Railway and Glasgow City and District Railway is closed.
01/01/1914Glasgow City and District Railway
College renamed High Street.
01/01/1917Glasgow City and District Railway
Finnieston closed.
01/01/1917Glasgow City and District Railway
Gallowgate Central closed.
08/01/1956Glasgow City and District RailwayCoatbridge Branch (North British Railway)Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBathgate and Coatbridge Railway (Monkland Railways)Edinburgh and Bathgate RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
05/05/1958Glasgow City and District Railway
Hyndland to Partick Junction closed to freight
  /  /1959Glasgow City and District Railway
Queen Street Low Level re-built from four platforms to two. The island platform in the middle is isolated from passengers and the lines reduced from four to two.
05/11/1960Glasgow City and District Railway
Hyndland to Partick Junction closed to passengers (Hyndland becomes an Electric Multiple Unit maintenance depot)
06/11/1960Glasgow City and District Railway
Hyndland Branch closed to passengers, but new electric train maintenance depot was opened by the station's island platform so the branch is retained, although the station tracks lifted.
  /10/1966Glasgow City and District Railway
Parkhead North Goods yard closed.
05/11/1979Glasgow City and District Railway
Bridgeton Central station to High Street West Junction closed to passengers
17/12/1979Glasgow City and District Railway
Partickhill closed and replaced by Partick (Incorporates Merkland Street Subway station)
  /  /1980Glasgow City and District Railway
Gallowgate Central building demolished.
01/06/1987Glasgow City and District Railway
Bridgeton Central closed completely (used for Electric Multiple Unit maintenance latterly)
23/06/1987Glasgow City and District Railway
Hyndland (Old) closed completely (used for Electric Multiple Unit maintenance latterly)
29/06/1998Glasgow City and District Railway
Start of repairs to Knightswood Tunnel.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Kinightswood Curve

This is a single lead junction where the double track line between Westerton station and Anniesland is met by a single track from Cowlairs West Junction, this doubling shortly after the junction going east. (The junction has been converted into a single lead junction.) It is located just north of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
...

More details
A westbound Sprinter, between Maryhill station and Knightswood North Junction in 1994, about to cross over Bearsden Road at Temple. ...
Ewan Crawford //1994
A 314 seen dropping down from Westerton to approach Knightswood Tunnel in 1994. ...
Ewan Crawford //1994
Parkhead based V3 2-6-2T 67628 passing through Knightswood North Junction on 1 August 1957 with a Milngavie - Bridgeton train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/08/1957
Class 37 hauling aluminium trains east towards Maryhill seen by Dawsholm Park. ...
Ewan Crawford //


This junction is to the north of Anniesland station. To the east the original line, the Stobcross Railway of 1874 runs to Maryhill Park Junction, just west of Maryhill. This closed in 1980 and reopened in 2005.
...

More details
A Rutherglen service passing Knightswood South Junction on the approach to Anniesland. Rutherglen is not normally a destination, but engineering works ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
156458 on route learning duties approaches the new crossover accessing the recently installed connecting spur to the Maryhill line. This DMU is using ...
Colin McDonald 28/01/2016
Seen shortly after leaving platform 3 at Anniesland, 156495 forms the 1156 Queen Street via Maryhill service. In the left background strengthening ...
Colin McDonald 20/09/2017
Strengthening works in progress on the Strathcona Drive overbridge in September 2017. ...
Colin McDonald 20/09/2017




Hyndland Terminus

Opened with the Hyndland [1st] branch of the Glasgow City and District Railway.
...

More details

This EMU depot opened on the northern part of site of Hyndland [1st] station in 1960. The station was able to remain open while the depot was established. ...

More details
Hyndland Depot after the track had been removed from the shed. Access by kind permission of British Rail. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Hyndland Depot after the track had been removed from the shed. Access by kind permission of British Rail. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Low winter sun and flare in 1991. The site of Hyndland EMU depot, Hyndland station [1st] and the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire being redeveloped. The ...
Ewan Crawford //1991
Hyndland Depot looking to Hyndland Depot Junction. Access by kind permission of British Rail. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This was a terminal station with an island platform and goods sidings. A fine terminus building stood in Hyndland Road, now gone, the site now being Station Gardens. The platform was canopied with a footbridge to the platform from Novar Drive.
...

More details
V3 67627 sets off from Hyndland terminus in the summer of 1957 with a train for Airdrie. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 07/08/1957
V1 2-6-2T no 67665 brings a train from Airdrie into the terminus at Hyndland on 30 April 1960. On the right is one of the new class AM3 (later TOPS ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/04/1960
NB 256 ready to leave the old Hyndland terminus on 30 April 1960 with the SLS Glasgow City & District Tour. Some of the participants had arrived by ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/04/1960
Trains at Hyndland station, July 1949. Ex-NB J37 0.6.0 64584. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/07/1949




Finnieston to High Street

This was the junction between the approach to the northern half of Stobcross Goods [NBR] (one of the terminii of the Stobcross Railway) and the line to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level (Glasgow City and District Railway).
...

More details
Gresley V3 67626 passing the former Stobcross shed on 14 July 1961 with a Helensburgh Central - Bridgeton Central train. The two road dead end shed, ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/07/1961

This was a two platform station located in a dressed stone cutting on the south side of Argyle Street on which was the station surface two storey building and entrance. The platforms were canopied. Stairways ran up to a footbridge with access from Argyle Street.
...

More details
Westbound 303 passes over the former Glasgow Central Railway and climbs to Yorkhill. Goods yards stood to either side of the line here. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Eastbound 303 approaches the bridge over the former Glasgow Central Railway. Goods yards stood to either side of the line here. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
The Glasgow Central Railway passing under the Glasgow City and District Railway at Kelvinhaugh. This shows the mouth of St Vincent Crescent Tunnel. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Class 303 on the Glasgow City and District Railway crossing bridge over the Glasgow Central Railway. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This is a two platform station. The station is almost underground, but is open at the west end. Ticket offices are at ground level with platforms below.
...

More details
A Helensburgh train pulls into Charing Cross on 5 August. Being substantially underground with trains coming to stop in the gloom at either end, this ...
David Panton 05/08/2017
It is difficult to photograph an eastbound train at Charing Cross as they all come to a halt at the platform end, furthest into the tunnel. So, just ...
David Panton 01/12/2018
334023 arrives at Charing Cross with the 1339 departure to Dumbarton Central on a driech 22 November 2019. I remember using the original station ...
John McIntyre 22/11/2019
A different view of Charing Cross station, taken in May 2019.
...
Alastair McLellan 06/05/2019

This is a two platform station beneath Glasgow Queen Street High Level. Trains at the high level station can be heard arriving and departing from below.
...

More details
One of a series of information posters which has appeared recently on the Queen Street Low level platforms. Inset is a new (?) 'arrow' logo which ...
Colin McDonald 10/02/2018
Another stage of the refurbishment of Glasgow Queen Street is announced on posters which appeared in mid February 2019 near the Low Level lifts and ...
Colin McDonald 21/02/2019
Westbound 334 heads out of low level Queen Street. ...
Beth Crawford 18/05/2017
The new exit from Queen Street Low Level to the High Level concourse, seen on 25th September 2018.
...
Beth Crawford 25/09/2018

This is a double track tunnel between Glasgow Queen Street Low Level, to the west, and High Street. The tunnel is 681 yds long.
...

More details

This is a two platform station located in a dressed stone cutting with a street level ticket office.
...

More details
A Springburn to Dumbarton Central service calls at High Street on 24 August 2019. ...
David Panton 24/08/2019
An Edinburgh service enters High Street on 5 August. The view looks west to Queen Street. ...
David Panton 05/08/2017
Edinburgh (left) and Balloch services cross at High Street on 19 September 2017.
...
David Panton 19/09/2017
A six-coach Balloch to Airdrie service calls at High Street on Saturday 19 May. The station is becoming increasingly surrounded by student housing; ...
David Panton 19/05/2018

This junction was immediately east of High Street station and visible from the east end of the platforms.
...

More details
Sign at High Street in July 1997 indicating the location of the former Bridgeton Central Junction, severed some years previously. ...
David Panton /07/1997
V3 67679 brings a Bridgeton Central - Drumry train off the branch at Bridgeton Central Junction, just east of High Street station, on 10 July 1957. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 10/07/1957
318250 passes the former Bridgeton Central Junction as it climbs east out of the cutting at High Street in February 2015. The trackbed of the old line ...
Colin McDonald 03/02/2015
An overview of Bridgeton Central Junction looking west to High Street station in 1987. The remaining wall of the NBR's High Street Goods shed is just ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This junction was at the east end of the Glasgow City and District Railway where it joined the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway).
...

More details




Bridgeton Branch

This junction was immediately east of High Street station and visible from the east end of the platforms.
...

More details
Sign at High Street in July 1997 indicating the location of the former Bridgeton Central Junction, severed some years previously. ...
David Panton /07/1997
V3 67679 brings a Bridgeton Central - Drumry train off the branch at Bridgeton Central Junction, just east of High Street station, on 10 July 1957. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 10/07/1957
318250 passes the former Bridgeton Central Junction as it climbs east out of the cutting at High Street in February 2015. The trackbed of the old line ...
Colin McDonald 03/02/2015
An overview of Bridgeton Central Junction looking west to High Street station in 1987. The remaining wall of the NBR's High Street Goods shed is just ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This double track tunnel is 220 yds long. It is no longer in use. It carried the line from Bridgeton Central Junction to Bridgeton Cross South Junction.
...

More details
Cable support inside Ladywell Tunnel. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007
Overhead Wire support in tunnel. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007
Signal support inside Ladywell Tunnel. I suspect this protected the Junction ahead at Gallowgate Central. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007
The trackbed looking the way it should... just minus some track. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007

This junction opened in 1893 with the construction of a curve (1893) from St Johns Junction on the City of Glasgow Union Railway to meet the Glasgow City and District Railway (1892) line to Bridgeton Central.
...

More details

This was a two platform station to the south of Bridgeton Cross South Junction. The station was in a deep dressed stone cutting.
...

More details
More canopy markings... this time on the other platform. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007
The view from Gallowgate Tunnel toward the Station in Black and White. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007
The view from Gallowgate Tunnel toward the Station. The entrance was immediately above the tunnel exit. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007
What looks like some kind of canopy marking on the overbridge. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007


This is a disused double track tunnel of 220 yds. The tunnel is between the former Bridgeton Central station (south) and former Gallowgate Central station (north).
...

More details
Entering the first tunnel from Bridgeton Central heading for Gallowgate Central... The trackbed has been cleared so well... what next?? Rails. ...
Colin Harkins 27/03/2007


This was a terminus of a short branch from High Street station, providing a useful terminus in the east of the city, rather than have trains terminate (and block platforms) at Glasgow Queen Street Low Level. The station consisted of two terminal island platforms, both with glazed canopies. The signal box was at the north end of the station, recessed into the retaining wall on the east ...

More details
Looking back into the terminus at Bridgeton Central on 11 June 1957, where C16 4-4-2T 67482 is performing station pilot duties. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 11/06/1957
The frontage of the former Bridgeton Central station in November 1997, then in use as a bookmaker and looking fairly unadorned compared with today. ...
David Panton 25/11/1997
Through the brick you can just make out a support pillar albeit looking slightly loose. ...
Colin Harkins 27/03/2007
Platform Side of Station Building. The once bustling Archways blocked up. Looks like some maintaince may be needed. ...
Colin Harkins 27/03/2007