Finnieston [1st] (1886-1916)
Opened on the Glasgow City and District Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station located in a dressed stone cutting on the south side of Argyle Street on which was the station surface two storey building and entrance. The platforms were canopied. Stairways ran up to a footbridge with access from Argyle Street.
To the west the line crossed over the Glasgow Central Railway (this portion now closed) as it emerged from Stobcross Depot Tunnel to the south and St Vincent Crescent Tunnel to the north. Beyond to the west was Stobcross Junction.
To the east the line passes under Kent Road in the Finnieston Tunnel to Charing Cross station.
To the south was the large Stobcross Goods [NBR].
The station closed in 1916 and the signal box closed in 1917. This had been located on the eastbound platform, in a recess at the west end.
The platform mounds remain and signs of the former staircases. The surface level buildings no longer exist.
Confusingly when the Argyle Line reopened Stobcross station was renamed Finnieston - this station was to the south on a different railway.
Charing Cross [GC and DR]
St Georges Cross [Subway]
Kinning Park [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
St Vincent Crescent Tunnel
St Vincent Crescent Signal Box
Stobcross Goods [NBR]
Stobcross Depot Tunnel
Stobcross Goods Low Level
Stobcross Street Tunnel
Scottish Exhbibition and Conference Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|