Stobcross Goods [NBR] (1874-1960)
Opened on the Stobcross Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This large goods yard was one of the termini, with Kelvinhaugh Goods located to the west, of the Stobcross Railway opened in 1874. The goods yard was located at a higher level than Stobcross Goods Low Level, immediately to the south and the Queens Dock beyond. The yard was accessed from the west, from Stobcross Junction and, due to its size, Kelvinhaugh Junction.
This was an important yard serving the west of the Glasgow city centre. It was a large goods and minerals yard with loading banks, travelling cranes and a goods shed.
Below was the Stobcross Depot Tunnel of the Glasgow Central Railway and Kelvinhaugh Tunnel.
The site is now housing and an industrial estate to the west of Minerva Street.
Charing Cross [GC and DR]
St Georges Cross [Subway]
Kinning Park [Subway]
Shields Road [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
Stobcross Depot Tunnel
Stobcross West Junction
St Vincent Crescent Signal Box
Stobcross Goods Low Level
St Vincent Crescent Tunnel
Stobcross East Junction
Stobcross Street Tunnel
Scottish Exhbibition and Conference Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways