Queens Dock (1877-1969)
Opened on the Stobcross Railway.
Opened on the Queens Dock Railway Lines.
This was a large dock to the west of central Glasgow on the north bank of the River Clyde. It was served by the Stobcross Railway. The dock was infilled and is now the site of the Scottish Exhibition Centre.
The dock was long planned, and by the time it was opened the railway serving it took a circuitous approach as Glasgow was expanding westwards.
The dock was the second major dock built on the Clyde after the Kingston Dock.
On entering the dock there was a large canting basin at the west end, beyond which to the east the dock was divided by a large centre pier. All quaysides were equipped with warehousing and railways.
The dock was closed in 1969 but remained intact with much silting at the east end. The western portion still saw some traffic, probably simply mooring. In the early 1980s the docks were actively filled with rubble from the east end, the steady infilling being obvious from the nearby railway to the north. Some of the material was from Glasgow St Enoch which was demolished at this time.
Little remains of the dock save the site of its entrance at the west end and the pumphouse, now undergoing conversion to a distillery (2017).
Kinning Park [Subway]
Merkland Street [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
Finnieston East Junction
Govan Graving Docks
Kelvinhaugh Refuse Despatch Works
Stobcross Depot Tunnel
Scottish Exhbibition and Conference Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways