Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway

Introduction

This line is closed except for a short section in Dumbarton from Dumbarton East Junction to Dunglass Junction [West] and another short, but disused, section between Dalmuir Riverside and Clydebank. The line was a protege of the Caledonian Railway.

Why built

This line connected the Caledonian Railway's system to shipyards, docks and factories on the north bank of the River Clyde. It was built to compete with the existing North British Railway's system. It also carried passenger services from Glasgow to Possil and Dumbarton and connected with the line to Balloch.

As the line was built to compete with the existing network of the North British Railway, stations were built to a good standard with large station buildings with platform canopies.

Service

Passenger services ran from Glasgow Central Low Level to Possil and from Glasgow Central Low Level to Dumbarton Central, many continuing to Balloch Central.



Dates

  /  /1891[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Lanarkshire & Dunbartonshire Railway authorised
26/11/1894Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway
Possil Junction (Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)) to Maryhill Central opened.
01/05/1896[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Bellshaugh Junction (Maryhill) to Partick West Junction opened for goods.
01/05/1896Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway
Clydebank Riverside to Stobcross opened for goods.
01/06/1896[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Partick North Junction to Partick East Junction opened for goods.
15/06/1896[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Dumbarton to Clydebank opened for goods.
01/10/1896[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Line opened completely
01/02/1897[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Possil opened.
25/04/1907[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
[Glasgow Yoker and Clydebank] Railway
[Rothesay Dock Branch] opened. The line was joint [North British Railway] and [Caledonian Railway].
16/08/1909[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway] absorbed by Caledonian Railway
01/07/1942[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Kelvinside closed.
02/05/1952[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Bowling closed.
  /01/1954[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Possil renamed Possil North.
15/06/1959[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Partick Central renamed Kelvin Hall.
06/11/1960[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Crow Road closed.
05/10/1964[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Dunglass Junction to Old Kilpatrick closed to freight
05/10/1964[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Possil to Partick West (East Junction and West Junction) to Dunglass Junction closed to passengers
05/10/1964[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Partick North Junction to Partick East Junction closed to all traffic
31/01/1966[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Possil to Patrick West Junction closed to freight. Alternative date 22/2/1966.
  /  /1970[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Crow Road station buildings demolished.
11/10/1976[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Kilbowie to Yoker Ferry closed to freight
23/10/1978[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Yoker Yard to Partick Central closed completely
  /  /1980[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Maryhill Shopping Centre built over the remains of Maryhill station. A single-track sized tunnel is left under the station with a single platform.
  /  /1980[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Bridge over [Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway] in Lambhill removed.
  /  /1983[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
The preservation of the alignment between Partick and Possil is abandoned.
  /03/1986[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Chivas Brothers Siding (excluded) to Old Kilpatrick Naval Fuel Depot closed to freight
  /  /1987[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Chivas Brothers Siding to Dalmuir Riverside closed, Dalmuir Riverside to Clydebank disused but retained.
  /08/1987[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
Sidings at the former Dalmuir Naval Shipyard ([Beardmore Shipyard]), by this time owned by Arnott Young, shipbreakers, fall out of use.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Possil to Dumbarton

Double track passenger and goods line from Possil Junction to Dumbarton Central. Between Possil and Maryhill use was made of an old waggonway, rebuilt to railway standard.

This was the junction between the Hamiltonhill Branch and the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway. This was a double track junction.
...

More details
One of Dawsholm shed's WD Austerity 2-8-0s, no 90198, working hard on the approach to Possil Junction on 24 May 1958 with a down coal train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/05/1958
Possil Junction looking east. Here the routes to Hamiltonhill and Dumbarton split before passing under a roadbridge. The alignment of the line here ...
Ewan Crawford 02/02/2008
Possil Junction looking west. To the left was the route to Hamiltonhill (cutting infilled) and to the right the route of the line to Dumbarton. ...
Ewan Crawford 02/02/2008
View east over Possil Junction in June 1958. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/06/1958

This station is closed but the street level station building and the former goods shed both remain standing. The station building, in red brick, presents a single storey, with two gable ends and attic onto Balmore Road. C and R are on tablets above windows on the south end of the frontage and a coat of arms above the north end. This building, which survived in other uses for many years, is ...

More details

This is a disused double track tunnel between the former Maryhill Central and Possil stations. The tunnel is 808 yds long.
...

More details
This 17 plate was in the Tamshill Tunnel northwards from former Maryhill [Barracks] Station to Possil Station, Glasgow. They were a distance of ...
Alistair MacKenzie 12/12/1979

This was a four platform station. There were two through platforms and, on either side, two bay platforms for terminating services via Glasgow Central. These bays had carriage sidings alongside. Platforms were canopied. The majority of passenger trains terminated here, however the through lines were for passenger trains to Possil and goods and mineral trains running from [[Balornock ...

More details
View of Maryhill Central station on 25 July 1951 looking north towards Maryhill Road. Dawsholm shed's Stanier 2-6-2T 40153 stands in the sidings on ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/07/1951
The BLS Bathgate & District Railtour waiting to leave Maryhill Central on 6 May 1961. The special visited various branches between Glasgow and ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1961
McIntosh ex-CaledonIan 0-4-4T 55168 with a city bound train at Maryhill Central in the summer of 1951. View is north east, with Maryhill Road running ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/07/1951
In 1988 the cutting between Maryhill Road and the Forth and Clyde Canal was filled in. The station site, seen beyond the bridge, was filled in for the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This junction was west of Maryhill Central station. The station was on the east side of Garrioch Road and junction on the west side.
...

More details
Looking south over the former Glasgow Central Railway viaduct spanning the River Kelvin in May 2011. Kirklee station (closed in May 1939) stood a ...
Veronica Clibbery 07/05/2011
The former Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway viaduct seen looking south over the River Kelvin on 7 May 2011. Part of the adjacent viaduct built by ...
Veronica Clibbery 07/05/2011
Maryhill Central Junction was off to the left, beyond which was the station. The nearer girder viaduct carried the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire ...
Rod Crawford 01/11/2015
1988 view from the girder bridge of the Dumbarton - Balornock line showing the stone arch viaduct of the line from Glasgow Central Low Level with the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This goods yard was within the triangle of lines formed by Bellshaugh Junction (to the west), Maryhill Junction (east) and Kirklee Junction (south). The yard was approached from Bellshaugh Junction.
...

More details

This was a four way junction. To the west were the lines to Dawsholm (north west, 1895) and Dumbarton Central (west, 1896). To the east were the lines to Maryhill Central and Balornock Junction (east, 1895) and Glasgow Central (south, 1896). The junction was on a cramped site on the south bank of the River Kelvin, the Dawsholm fork crossing the river immediately north west ...

More details
Caley Jumbo 0-6-0 57341 labours past Bellshaugh Junction with an eastbound freight on 22 September 1959. [Ref query 6530] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/09/1959

This is a disused double track railway tunnel between the former Kelvinside station and Bellshaugh Junction. The tunnel is 700 yds long.
...

More details
21 in Balgray tunnel north of Kelvinside Station. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 12/12/1979
Northern Portal of Tunnel ...
Colin Harkins 03/05/2008
Northern Portal of Tunnel, you would not believe that the land behind the photographer is nice and tidy. ...
Colin Harkins 03/05/2008
This 10 and similar plates were in the Balgray tunnel northwards from former Kelvinside Station, Great Western Road, Glasgow. They were a ...
Alistair MacKenzie 12/12/1979

This was a two platform station on the south side of Great Western Road with a superb surface building by architect John James Burnet. The station was opened on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway, a protege of the Caledonian Railway.
...

More details
Plates, 1 chain (1 chain = 20.1168 meters) apart, 16 in tunnel south to Crow Road from the former Kelvinside Station (Lux/Stazione Restaurant on Great ...
Alistair MacKenzie //
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line. Kelvinside Station, now Lux/Stazione Restaurants, showing Front entrance - door now a window. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 22/06/2007
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line. Kelvinside Station, now Lux/Stazione Restaurants, showing front CR crest and 1897 date plaque. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 22/06/2007
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line. Kelvinside Station, now Lux/Stazione Restaurants, rear quarter view. Architect - Sir JJ ...
Alistair MacKenzie 22/06/2007

This goods yard was operated by the Caledonian Railway although located on the Stobcross Railway, a North British Railway owned line. The Caledonian had running powers to the yard via Maryhill, Cowlairs and Sighthill.
...

More details


As was

...

More details
To the north of Crow Road station was one of those peculiar locations where a line passes under itself. In this case a reversing spur which ran from ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
Under Clarence Drive the southern portion of Crow Road's island platform is seen in 1999. Ahead the line ran via Crow Road Tunnel to Partick North ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
Ex-Caledonian 0-6-0 57251 with a northbound freight at Crow Road in September 1951. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/09/1951
C.R. 0.4.4T 55168 leaving Crow Road for Maryhill in September 1951. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/09/1951


This was a double track junction directly south of Crow Road Tunnel. This was the norther apex of a triangular junction, the other junctions between Partick West Junction and Partick East Junction. The signal box, opened with the junction, was in the 'V' of the junction.
...

More details
After emerging from the south portal of the tunnel from Crow Road in the summer of 1957, Standard Class 4 2-6-0 76101 has taken the left fork at ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 07/08/1957
Fairburn 2-6-4T 42200 northbound at Partick North Junction on 2 August 1957 with a Rutherglen - Possil train. The train is about to enter the tunnel ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/08/1957
View south at the former Partick North Junction in 1997 [see image 52289]. Behind the camera a tunnel runs north to Crow Road, while the Meadowside ...
Ewan Crawford //1997

This was the western junction of a triangle of lines. The other junctions were Partick North Junction and Partick East Junction.
...

More details
Partick West Junction looking west. This bridge has been removed and the emankment levelled despite plans for re-opening some of the line. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This station had an island platform with a building typical of the line. Entry was by subway from Ferryden Street.
...

More details
View east towards the flats which have now been built on site of Whiteinch Riverside station. The cycle route returns to street level at this point. ...
Colin McDonald 12/07/2017
Harland Cottages, a fine set of four rows of attractive cottages built for Harland and Wolff. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Sustrans' subtle alterations to the abutment of the former Smith Street bridge at the west end of Whiteinch Riverside station, now the start of the ...
Colin McDonald 12/07/2017
Sustrans turned many old railways into walkways and cycleways, but items of interest along the route didnt always survive intact. Whiteinch Riverside ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This was an island platform station on a raised embankment. The Whiteinch Tramway passed below. The station building was typical of the line. It competed with the North British Railway's nearby Whiteinch Victoria Park which opened at the same time, 1896, on previously goods only branch.
...

More details
View east towards the Scotstoun East island platform. The black tower in the centre distance is a doocot which has been erected at the west end of the ...
Colin McDonald 12/07/2017
The 'doocot' at the west end of Scotstoun East's island platform in a view looking east. ...
John Yellowlees 05/04/2019
The view south from the former Scotstoun East to the North British Engine Works and its remaining crane. ...
John Yellowlees 05/04/2019
View west along the remains of the island platform at Scotstoun East. The cyclist is passing the site of the station exit. ...
Colin McDonald 12/07/2017

This junction opened in 1907 for the Rothesay Dock line, a joint Caledonian Railway and North British Railway railway.
...

More details
Looking west at Scotstoun West where the Rothesay Dock Branch and L&DR parted company. The island platform of Scotstoun West is to the left. ...
Ewan Crawford 09/01/2006
Looking west to the junction. To the left were sidings for Yarrows Shipyard. Also to the left was the end of the Clydeside Tramway. ...
Ewan Crawford 09/01/2006
Looking east to Scotstoun West station. This fine girder bridge looks to be in a state of siege. Doocots abound round here. ...
Ewan Crawford 09/01/2006

This was an island platform station. The station was just to the north of Yarrow's Shipbuilding, Engineering and Boilermaking Works partly on a bridge. The station was just west of Scotstoun West Junction. The station building was typical of the line.
...

More details
Remains of the former Scotstoun West station (closed October 1964), looking east along the island platform towards Glasgow city centre in 1997. ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
Ex-Caledonian 0-6-0T 56167 shunting near Scotstoun West station on 9 August 1957. The sturdy Dock Tank was a resident of Dawsholm shed at that ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/08/1957
An aerial view with BAE's Scotstoun Yard to the right. To left of the yard was Scotstoun West station and above that the junction with the Rothesay ...
Ewan Crawford 20/07/2011

This coal fired power station was located to the south of the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway which served it, via a reversal. Yoker Ferry station was to the immediate west. The site was bounded to the south by the River Clyde.
...

More details

This was an island platform station with a building typical of the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway. The line was on a raised embankment.
...

More details
Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway, Yoker Riverside Station. This was an island platform station on an elevated line at this point. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 09/05/2007
Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway, Yoker Riverside Station. This was an island platform station on an elevated line at this point, looking E. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 09/05/2007
Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway, Yoker Riverside Station. This was an island platform station on an elevated line at this point, looking W. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 09/05/2007
View north-east from the island platform looking over the Rothesay Dock branch. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/06/2007

This station is closed, however the very fine booking office still stands.
...

More details
A rainy day in Clydebank, looking north west at the corner of Cunard Street and Atlas Street in 2010. The scrollwork on the balcony incorporating the ...
John Furnevel 08/06/2010
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, Clydebank Riverside Station (serving John Browns shipyard). Architect was J. J. Burnet. ...
Alistair MacKenzie //
Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway, CR crest on the station building at Clydebank Riverside. Architect J. J. Burnet. ...
Alistair MacKenzie //
Looking at the former booking office of Clydebank Riverside station on Boxing Day 2014. Closed in 1964, the building has since been restored and ...
John Yellowlees 26/12/2014

This goods yard was between Kilbowie station and Clydebank Riverside. It was on the south/west side of the line. Approach was from the goods loop on the south side of Kilbowie station.
...

More details
40188 approaching Kilbowie with a Rutherglen - Balloch train in September 1957. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 27/09/1957

This junction was at the east end of Kilbowie station. This station had goods loops on either side of its platform lines. The east end of the loop was controlled by Clydebank Goods Junction signal box on the north side of the line.
...

More details


This was an island platform station on a raised embankment to the west of Kilbowie Road. The station building was typical of the line and there were not just platform lines but loops on either side of the island platform.
...

More details
Ex-Caledonian 0-6-0 57564 leaves Kilbowie on 27 September 1957 with a Rutherglen - Balloch train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 27/09/1957
Still known as The Caley Bridge this carries the stub which today only runs from Clydebank to the rubbish disposal site near the HCI/Millennium ...
Ewan Crawford 09/01/2006

This was a spacious four platform station, two being terminal platforms on the north side and the main route being served by an island platform. Access was by footbridge from Auld Street.
...

More details
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, bridge below Beardmore Street bridge, looking from W. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 04/05/2007
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, bridge over Agamemnon Street looking E. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 04/05/2007
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, bridge below Beardmore Street bridge, LH tunnel double track. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 04/05/2007
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, looking West at Dalmuir. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 25/04/2007

This short lived signal box was west of Dalmuir Riverside. It controlled access to the Clyde Trust's Dalmuir Dredger Works, the west end of Beardmore's Dalmuir Naval Construction Yard, and the Dalmuir Sewage Purification Works. These were on the south side of the main line and on the north bank of the River Clyde.
...

More details


This was a two platform station in slight cutting below road level. There were Caledonian Railway style buildings on the platforms and ramps to street level. The passenger station was on the north side of the Erskine Ferry Road
...

More details
320417 draws away from Old Kilpatrick station on 21st June 2018.
...
Bill Roberton 21/06/2018
156485 leads a three set combination through Old Kilpatrick on the 21st June 2018. The train is the 10.10 from Mallaig to Glasgow Queen Street, .
...
Bill Roberton 21/06/2018
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, sleepers piled to side. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 25/04/2007
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, view of trackbed and sidings at Old Kilpatrick Goods Yard, looking E from bridge over Ferry ...
Alistair MacKenzie 25/04/2007

The Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway had a second lesser known swing bridge which was directly south of the main [[Bowling Swing Bridge. A line from Bowling Harbour Signal Box ran west to serve the east end of Bowling Basin and then cross the lower basin to reach the quaysides in Bowling Basin and Bowling Harbour. Here it connected with the sidings of the [[Glasgow, Dumbarton and ...

More details

This double track swing bridge crossed the Forth and Clyde Canal between the upper and lower basins at Bowling. A signal box was mounted above the running lines to the immediate west of the bridge. The pivot of the bridge was just to the east of the box and the bridge's east end swung north.
...

More details
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, bridge over Forth and Clyde Canal. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 13/04/2007
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line bridge over NBR Glasgow, Helensburgh & Balloch line at Bowling. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 02/05/2007
The former swing bridge that carried the L&D over the western end of the Forth and Clyde Canal at Bowling, crossing the waterway between the upper and ...
John Furnevel 08/06/2010
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line bridge over Forth & Clyde Canal at Bowling Harbour. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 02/05/2007

This was an island platform station. The station building was typical of the line. The railway was to the north of and above the town and Bowling Harbour. Entrance was by a subway with a station frontage at street level on the south side of the line. The subway emerged at the west end of the platform.
...

More details
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, Bowling looking West. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 13/04/2007
Looking west along what would have been the Up Line at Bowling (CR) or as the closure notice of February 1951 advised 'Bowling (LMS)' with alternative ...
John McIntyre 02/06/2019
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line, Bowling Station looking East. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 13/04/2007
Caledonian Railway Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire line trackbed looking W at Bowling Harbour. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 02/05/2007

These sidings were west of Bowling [CR] station. These were accessed from the west by reversal, there was a ground frame.
...

More details

311107 heads east with Dumbuck hill in the background and the (in 1990) new path in the foreground. The train is running on the short section of the ...
Ewan Crawford //1990

This junction opened with the line to serve Denny's shipyard, thus the original name of Denny's Siding. The branch was on the south side of the line, approached from the east, as the westbound main line curved north towards Dumbarton East.
...

More details
1/4 MP sign. Triangular metal plate with bolt projections top and bottom and low relief numerals 1/4 of black figures on white. Found on timber post ...
Alistair MacKenzie 06/03/1980

This single ended two road shed was close to Dumbarton East station. ...

More details
J36 0-6-0 no 65335 stands outside the 2 road shed by Dumbarton East on 26 November 1960. Latterly a sub to 65D Dawsholm, the shed closed in October ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/11/1960

Dumbarton East goods shed seen looking north from Glasgow Road. This location is now occupied by the eastern extension of the St James Retail Park. ...
Ewan Crawford //1996

This is an island platform station. The station features street level entry, which formerly had a booking office. The island platform building (similar to those at Dumbarton Central) no longer exists but a waiting shelter is provided.
...

More details
334034, with an Edinburgh to Helensburgh Central service, calls at Dumbarton East on 14th October 2017.
...
David Panton 14/10/2017
A 334 on an Edinburgh service calls at Dumbarton East on 01/04/2017. ...
David Panton 01/04/2017
Seen across the Dumbarton rooftops, from the ramparts of the Castle, a Class 320 EMU pauses at the East station on its way to Balloch. 3rd August ...
Mark Bartlett 03/08/2017
A Class 320 EMU approaches Dumbarton East along the north bank of the Clyde, as seen from the ramparts of Dumbarton Castle on 3rd August 2017. ...
Mark Bartlett 03/08/2017

Closed NB line in Dumbarton; looking east by the bonded warehouse east of Dumbarton Central. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
V3 67625 photographed at Dumbarton East Junction on 12 April 1958 at the head of a Helensburgh - Bridgeton train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 12/04/1958
Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway. Bridge over Greenhead Road, Dumbarton. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 10/11/2009
Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway Line. Route now through bonded warehouses, Dumbarton, lookng east. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 10/11/2009




Stobcross to Partick

Double track passenger and goods line from Exhibition Centre to Partick West Junction.

This station is at the east end of a flying junction from Partick, leading to an unusual V shape.
...

More details
A Whifflet service calls at Exhibition Centre on 7 July. The Up and Down lines come together at this end of the platform, having made their own, ...
David Panton 07/07/2018
A service for Dalmuir via Yoker calls at Exhibition Centre on 13 July 2019. The track on the right is a siding (buffers behind me) used by the few ...
David Panton 13/07/2019
Exhibition Centre masquerading as Craiglang for the duration of the run of 'Still Game' at the centre. This would be the fourth name for this location ...
John Yellowlees 16/02/2017
The train now standing on platform 1 is... Barry the Barrel! [see news item] ...
First ScotRail 22/02/2012

This double track tunnel originally ran from Kelvinhaugh Signal Box to the west to Stobcross station to the east. It closed in 1965. The original tunnel is 755 yds long.
...

More details

This signal box was on girders above the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway in a short stone lined cutting north of Kelvinhaugh Street. Yorkhill Tunnel was to the north, Kelvinhaugh Tunnel to the south. ...

More details


This mill near Partick was on the east bank of the River Kelvin. It was built on the site of the Bunhouse Mill.
...

More details


This was an island platform station with a street level building on Benalder Street and platform building.
...

More details
Kelvin Hall station decorated for the Scottish Industries Exhibition in September 1959. ...
David Murray-Smith /09/1959

This junction was to the immediate east of Partick West station, that station being built on the lines approaching the junction. This was the east junction of a triangular junction, the northern apex being Partick North Junction and western Partick West Junction.
...

More details

Site of Partick West looking east to Partick East Junction. There were 3 westbound platforms here and to the left 2 northbound platforms. Meadowside ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Looking west along Castlebank Street/South Street. The tarmac laid across the road where the line entered the Meadowside Granary to left. The line to ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Site of Partick West looking west to Partick West Junction. There were 3 westbound platforms here and to the right 2 northbound platforms. Meadowside ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Looking west along Castlebank Street/South Street by the remains of Partick West station (right). Here began the Clydeside Tramway (foregound right to ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This was the western junction of a triangle of lines. The other junctions were Partick North Junction and Partick East Junction.
...

More details
Partick West Junction looking west. This bridge has been removed and the emankment levelled despite plans for re-opening some of the line. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988




Partick East Junction to Partick North Junction

Partick East Junction to Partick North Junction.

This was a double track junction directly south of Crow Road Tunnel. This was the norther apex of a triangular junction, the other junctions between Partick West Junction and Partick East Junction. The signal box, opened with the junction, was in the 'V' of the junction.
...

More details
After emerging from the south portal of the tunnel from Crow Road in the summer of 1957, Standard Class 4 2-6-0 76101 has taken the left fork at ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 07/08/1957
Fairburn 2-6-4T 42200 northbound at Partick North Junction on 2 August 1957 with a Rutherglen - Possil train. The train is about to enter the tunnel ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/08/1957
View south at the former Partick North Junction in 1997 [see image 52289]. Behind the camera a tunnel runs north to Crow Road, while the Meadowside ...
Ewan Crawford //1997

This was a five platform station built on two curves of a triangular junction. There were three platforms on the east-west route from Dumbarton Central to Glasgow Central Low Level (two westbound on either side of an island platform and one eastbound) and two platforms on the east-north route from Possil to Glasgow Central Low Level.
...

More details
Site of Partick West looking east to Partick East Junction. There were 3 westbound platforms here and to the left 2 northbound platforms. Meadowside ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Looking west along Castlebank Street/South Street. The tarmac laid across the road where the line entered the Meadowside Granary to left. The line to ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Site of Partick West looking west to Partick West Junction. There were 3 westbound platforms here and to the right 2 northbound platforms. Meadowside ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Looking west along Castlebank Street/South Street by the remains of Partick West station (right). Here began the Clydeside Tramway (foregound right to ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This junction was to the immediate east of Partick West station, that station being built on the lines approaching the junction. This was the east junction of a triangular junction, the northern apex being Partick North Junction and western Partick West Junction.
...

More details




Rutherglen West Curve

This junction opened in 1892, the western end of a curve which ran north to Clyde Junction [CR]. It was named for the new Rutherglen [3rd] station which opened with two platforms on the new curve and four platforms on the main line east.
...

More details
Rutherglen West Junction looking at the west to north curve. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
In 1989 there was still one locomotive hauled daylight service from Glasgow to Fort William. In the morning this ran south to Glasgow Central which ...
Ewan Crawford //1989

These carriage sidings were opened in 1896 as part of the Glasgow Central Railway. There were three bay platforms just to the west and services both started and ended at Rutherglen [4th]. The terminal platforms and carriage sidings were controlled by Rutherglen Noth Junction box which looked out over the area.
...

More details

This was a large station on two sides of a triangular junction with six platforms - four on the west to east main line and two on the west to north curve.
...

More details
Rutherglen West Junction looking to Glasgow. The closed mainline station is in the foreground. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Coal empties westbound through Rutherglen on 15 August 2006 on their way back to Hunterston. (Taken through the cleanest window of the station's ...
John Furnevel 15/08/2006
View west over Rutherglen West Junction - and the remains of Rutherglen's mainline platforms (abandoned in 1979) on 1 June 2009. ...
David Panton 01/06/2009
Rutherglen, closed mainline station, looking east. Near here the Polloc and Govan Railway and Clydesdale Junction Railway connected. Building on left ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This junction was replaced by the present Rutherglen North Junction, the present junction being south of the former Clydebridge Junction (the original Rutherglen North Junction [1st] was further south).
...

More details
42243 approaching Rutherglen station on 17 May 1957 with a terminating service from Balloch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1957




Bowling Harbour Branch

This short branch left the main line east of Bowling station and ran on the south side of the line on a descent to meet the lower canal basin on its east side. The line continued by means of a low level swing bridge over the canal, to the immediate south of the more famous and still standing swing bridge, to reach exchange sidings with the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway and serve the harbour quayside.

The Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway had a second lesser known swing bridge which was directly south of the main [[Bowling Swing Bridge. A line from Bowling Harbour Signal Box ran west to serve the east end of Bowling Basin and then cross the lower basin to reach the quaysides in Bowling Basin and Bowling Harbour. Here it connected with the sidings of the [[Glasgow, Dumbarton and ...

More details


Bowling Harbour, Bowling. Sidings on the quayside sidings were served from Bowling Basin signal box (on the NB) and Bowling Harbour signal box (on the ...
Ewan Crawford /12/1986
A fine looking Clyde 'puffer' heads west past Bowling Harbour in the late 1950s with the entry to the Forth and Clyde Canal out of shot to the right. ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) //