This was an underground station with an island platform of two faces. There was a surface level building by John James Burnet on a road traffic island in the Trongate.
The location was very much the centre of old Glasgow with the Trongate, High Street, Gallowgate, London Road and Saltmarket meeting at Glasgow Cross. The Mercat Cross was located here and nearby the Tron Steeple and Tolbooth Steeple.
The station below was almost entirely enclosed, with a small vented area, at one time glazed above.
The original surface building, octagonal and of one storey with a dome, was demolished around 1923 during road improvements for the High Street and replaced with a fairly squat block.
The signal box here closed in 1956 during resignalling.
The replacement building survived until 1977 and was dismantled in the run up to the re-opening of the Argyle Line in 1979. The station did not re-open and was replaced by the better suited Argyle Street to the east which serves the pedestrian precinct (and is not located in the middle of a road junction).
The traffic island still exists. The vent is covered by a mesh structure.
Glasgow St Enoch
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Buchanan Street [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
Glasgow Central Low Level
| Saltmarket Junction|
St Enoch Locomotive Depot
St Johns Junction
Clyde Junction [CGU]
Bridgeton Central Junction
High Street Goods
High Street Tunnel
College Goods Signal Box [GSWR]
Barrack Street Tunnel
College North Junction
St Enoch Shopping Centre
George Square [Glasgow]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|