Rutherglen

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Rutherglen (1979-)
Station code: RUT National Rail ScotRail
Opened on the Dalmarnock Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Open on the Glasgow to Larkhall.
Open on the Hamilton Circle.

Description

This is an island platform station. It opened with the Argyle Line (the re-opened Glasgow Central Railway) in 1979 and the remaining part of Rutherglen [3rd] on the main line closed. The station is overshadowed by the M74 Motorway extension. which passes overhead. Entry is by one of two footbridges, one from just off Farmeloan Road (to the east) and another from Victoria Street (to the south).

Rutherglen CE Depot and Rutherglen Training School were located north of the station on the west side and Bridgeton Bank Yard is on the east side.

At its height Rutherglen was a large station built around a triangular junction. It has a complicated history.

Rutherglen [1st] ~1842-1879

The original station was a small two platform station west of Farme Loan Road located just north of Rutherglen itself.

Rutherglen [2nd] 1879-1892/97

The station closed and a new four platform (two islands) station opened to the east of Dalmarnock Junction and Farme Loan Road. This was with the quadrupling of the main line and the opening of London Road [Glasgow] to passengers.

Rutherglen [3rd]

A new station opened to the west when the London Road [Glasgow] branch passenger service to Glasgow Central began in 1892. This station had two sets of platforms

A) 1892-1964
two platforms on a new west to north curve

B) 1892-1979
four platforms on the west to east mainline just to the south of A (and a little west of Rutherglen [1st]). These platforms would replace Rutherglen [2nd]. (Note a fifth was later added.)

Rutherglen [4th]

This was an expansion of Rutherglen [3rd] built for the opening of the Glasgow Central Railway.

C) 1896 - 1964
three terminal platforms were built in the triangle of line, approached from the north

D) 1896 - 1964
two platforms were built on the north to east curve

E) 1896 - 1964
an extra platform was added to B (the west to west main line platforms) on the north side of the slow eastbound line - this single line was served by two platforms. The new platform was built to facilitate interchange between the terminal platforms and main line.

Thus, at its height, 1896-1964, this was a twelve platform station:

A) two platforms on west to north
C) three bay platforms in triangle
D) two platforms on north to east
B) and E) five platforms on main line

Today's station is approximately on the site of D.

(There has been some realignment here. The platform is actually on the site of the north to eastbound platform with today's northbound line being where the eastbound line was located and today's eastbound line being on the site of the the northbound track of the original course of the goods only line to Bridgeton Bank Yard.)

Tags

Station junction terminus island platform

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
11/08/2019





Dates

05/11/1979Glasgow Central Railway
The Argyle Line; Stobcross to Strathclyde Junction and Rutherglen Junction re-opened to passengers. Stations at; Finnieston [2nd] , Anderston, Glasgow Central Low Level, Argyle Street, Dalmarnock and Rutherglen.
09/12/1994Glasgow Central Railway
The River Kelvin bursts its banks and floods the disused tunnels from Kelvinbridge to Stobcross, where it floods the open Argyle Line railway. The route through Low Level Glasgow Central is closed between Partick and Rutherglen and trains are diverted onto the Sunnyside Junction to Whifflet section of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway for access to Motherwell. This remains in operation for around nine months.