Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Clydesdale Junction Railway.
This was a four platform station (two islands) on the east side of Farmeloan Road and just east of Dalmarnock Junction. Access to the platforms was from the road bridge to the west. Buildings were at the west ends of the platforms.
The northern island platform had the junction to the west, the southern extended west of the junction under the road bridge (with perhaps a bay at the west end, south side).
Rutherglen Station Signal Box [1st] was to the east.
This station opened when the line was quadrupled (and [[Bridgeton [1st] and London Road [Glasgow] opened to passengers) and remained in use until the opening of the Glasgow Central Railway (and perhaps for a little while later - the OS map of 1895 labels it 'Old Station'). The new station was Rutherglen [3rd]. Possibly the old station remained briefly in use (1892-1897) while the north to east platforms for the Glasgow Central Railway were prepared - a number of sidings existed here which would need relocation.
Nothing now remains - after closure the junction was realigned and the kinks round the rather narrow island platforms were straightened out.
To the north was the Caledonian Pottery, served by sidings from the east.
London Road [Glasgow]
| Rutherglen Central Junction|
Rutherglen Permanent Way Depot
Farme Colliery Junction
Rutherglen Carriage Sidings
Rutherglen North Junction [1st]
Clyde Patent Wire Rope Works
Rutherglen Training School
Rutherglen North Junction
Rutherglen West Junction
Phoenix Tube Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|