Clydesdale Junction Railway

Introduction

This line is open. The line extended the Polloc and Govan Railway from Rutherglen to Motherwell and took over the older line. A branch was laid to a new terminus at South Side in Glasgow. The line also included the Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway).






Dates

  /  /1845Clydesdale Junction Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1846Clydesdale Junction Railway
Caledonian Railway
Clydesdale Junction Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /  /1848Clydesdale Junction Railway
Locomotive shed opened at South Side.
01/06/1849Clydesdale Junction Railway
Line opened between Motherwell [1st] and Rutherglen [1st]. The Caledonian Railway begins running trains to South Side station, Glasgow.
01/06/1849Clydesdale Junction Railway
Glasgow terminus, South Side opened on a short branch from the former Polloc and Govan Railway at Gushetfaulds. The terminus was immediately beside the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway terminus.
  /  /1857Clydesdale Junction Railway
New locomotive shed opened in Govan Colliery. Called South Side.
08/10/1857Motherwell Deviation Line (Caledonian Railway)
Line opened from Jerviston Junction (Wishaw and Coltness Railway) to Lesmahagow Junction (Clydesdale Junction Railway). The line allowed Motherwell [1st] station to be moved further west to Motherwell atLesmahagow Junction. Motherwell [1st] remained standing and Motherwell was opened in the V of the junction at Lesmahagow Junction. A large viaduct was required, Braidhurst Viaduct.
  /  /1872William Smith Dixon Clydesdale Junction Railway
William Smith Dixon gives the railway permission to build a new locomotive shed (Polmadie Shed), so long as it did not disturb Dixons own railway (Govan Iron Works Railway) which ran through an old quarry and was used for dumping slag and a level crossing over Polmadie Road.
25/09/1873Clydesdale Junction Railway
Decide to build the new Polmadie Shed discussed with William Dixon Ltd.
30/12/1873Clydesdale Junction Railway
Railway buys land for a new Polmadie Shed, Rutherglen, from William Dixon Ltd for £12,750.
29/12/1874Clydesdale Junction Railway
Signalbox at the new Rutherglen shed under construction called Polmadie.
  /07/1875Clydesdale Junction Railway
Rutherglen shed, built in timber, renamed Polmadie, partly brought into use.
16/09/1875Clydesdale Junction Railway
Polmadie shed fully open.
01/07/1879Clydesdale Junction Railway
South Side closed
  /  /1923Clydesdale Junction Railway
Polmadie shed starts to be re-built in brick.
  /  /1924Clydesdale Junction Railway
Polmadie shed re-building in brick complete.
  /  /1934Clydesdale Junction Railway
Polmadie turntable replaced with 70ft.
  /  /1935Clydesdale Junction Railway
Polmadie shed coded 27A.
  /  /1940Clydesdale Junction Railway
Second 70ft turntable installed at Polmadie.
  /  /1940Clydesdale Junction Railway
Shawfield yard traffic sidings incorporated into Polmadie shed during re-construction of the shed. A new coaling plant was erected.
  /  /1949Clydesdale Junction Railway
Polmadie shed coded 66A.
28/05/1967Clydesdale Junction Railway
Polmadie shed closed to steam.
  /04/1970Caledonian Railway
Wishaw and Coltness Railway
Clydesdale Junction Railway
Polloc and Govan Railway
Glasgow Central Station
West Coast Main line electrification authorised.
  /  /1974Clydesdale Junction Railway
Polmadie shed closed when West Coast Main Line electrification reaches Glasgow. The site was re-developed as a carriage depot.
06/05/1974Caledonian Railway Wishaw and Coltness Railway Clydesdale Junction Railway Polloc and Govan Railway Glasgow Central Station
Glasgow Central to Carlisle electrification complete.
21/07/1991Clydesdale Junction Railway
4 people killed and 22 injured in a head on crash at Newton station probably due to a signal passed at danger (SPAD).

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Motherwell to Rutherglen

Motherwell Junction station to Rutherglen.

This station was located on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway where it was met by the Clydesdale Junction Railway. The station was just east of the junction.
...

More details

This is a four platform station. The station is at the junction of the Glasgow Central to London Euston main line and the Hamilton Circle line to Hamilton Central. There are carriage sidings on the west side of the station, next to the northbound platform of the Hamilton Circle lines.
...

More details
A service for Dalmuir via Hamilton pulls into Motherwell on 25 October 2018. To avoid confusion these services are publicised as terminating at ...
David Panton 25/10/2018
A change of driver for this Edinburgh to Ayr service at Motherwell on 11 December 2019. A predecessor might have been clutching an enamel tea can ...
David Panton 11/12/2019
Large Welcome sign on Motherwell's platform 3 on a dreary day. ...
Gordon Steel 31/10/2016
A Glasgow Central to Lanark service calls at Motherwell on 25 October 2018 ...
David Panton 25/10/2018

This is a junction just north of Motherwell station.
...

More details
View across Lesmahagow Junction with a ballast train in the foreground reversing into the Findlays Sidings. In the background is 37140 with a ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
26 011 shunts ballast at Lesmahagow Junction, Motherwell. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
A Black 5 leaves Motherwell on 5 July 1964 with a stopping train for Glasgow Central. ...
John Robin 05/07/1964
A dull and overcast Autumn day in Motherwell in 1970, contributed to in no small way by a pair of Claytons struggling past with a freight. Lead ...
John Furnevel 30/10/1970

Formed in 1898 this company built bridges for sites worldwide. The business, after a number of changes of ownerships, still exists today with a changed focus to storage tanks, gasholders and their maintenance. ...

More details
Looking south over the closed portion of the Motherwell Bridge and Engineering works from the Logan Road footbridge. The WCML passes to the left. See ...
Bill Roberton 01/08/1992

This level crossing is north of Motherwell on the direct line to Glasgow.
...

More details
Logans Road Signalbox, Motherwell, photographed in February 1974 from a passing train. ...
Bill Roberton /02/1974
The 11.09 Glasgow Central - Manchester Airport approaching Motherwell on 30 January 2014 after clearing Logans Road level crossing. The train will run ...
John Furnevel 30/01/2014
View north from the footbridge over Logans Road level crossing on the WCML just to the north of Motherwell station on 30 January 2014. The train is ...
John Furnevel 30/01/2014

This is a six arch double track viaduct over the South Calder Water. The viaduct is between Uddingston and Motherwell.
...

More details

This signal box was north west of Motherwell on the direct line to Newton. It was a little to the west of the viaduct over the South Calder Water, Orbiston Viaduct.
...

More details

This signal box was located between Uddingston Junction and Motherwell. The box, opened 1877, was on the north side of the line. The Douglas Park Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2 were on the south side of the line served by a siding from the west, starting a little way west from the box. On the north side was a branch which ran north to East Parkhead Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2 (also served ...

More details

This was the junction for the Hamilton Palace Colliery. There was a single track trailing connection running a short distance south east (parallel to the main line) to meet the a connection from the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway. Close to the junction was a short loop on the Caledonian's approach. The line continuing south to the colliery was a joint [[Caledonian ...

More details
Hamilton Palace Colliery (Douglas Park) was served by both the Caledonian and the North British via a joint line. This photograph looks south under ...
Ewan Crawford //2000

The Bothwell [CR] branch started from this junction, immediately east of Fallside station. The signal box here was 'Bothwell Junction'. The first version of this was on the north side of junction. It was replaced in 1897 with a second box on the south side of the junction. This was when the Bothwell Park Brick Works opened. This was served by sidings on the north side of the main ...

More details

This station opened in 1873 at what became the junction of the short branch to Bothwell [CR] in 1877. Fallside House was to the north of the railway. There was no goods yard.
...

More details

This junction is east of Uddingston station. It is the junction between the Glasgow to Motherwell direct line (the 1849 Clydesdale Junction Railway) and line to Bellshill (1878 Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)).
...

More details
Looking west over Uddingston Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Looking east at Uddingston Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Double headed Class 20s, with 20123 leading, passing Uddingston Junction in the 1970s with iron ore empties from Ravenscraig Steel Works heading for ...
Ian Millar //
View north west, from the trackbed of the former Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge line, across Uddingston Junction at the point where the ...
Colin McDonald 24/02/2017

The first Uddingston station was on the east side of the Glasgow Road bridge, replaced by the current Uddingston station on the west side. The permanent station building, on the westbound platform, was built in 1853.
...

More details

This is a two platform station. The red sandstone station building on the Glasgow bound platform remains standing. The goods yard was on the other side of Glasgow Road, north of the line and approached from the east. The original station, Uddingston [1st], was on this side of the road. Just to the east is Uddingston Junction.
...

More details
A Manchester Airport (probably) TPE service speeds through Uddingston on 24 August 2019. ...
David Panton 24/08/2019
An Edinburgh to Glasgow Central stopping service pulls in Uddingston on 24 August 2019. ...
David Panton 24/08/2019
A Lanark service calls at Uddingston on 24 August 2019. Uddingston is the home of the Tunnock's factory. Their products are popular surely only for ...
David Panton 24/08/2019
Royal Scot 46115 Scots Guardsman runs through Uddingston station on 9 April 2009 with the 'Great Britain II' railtour. ...
Ian Millar 09/04/2009

This pair of double track viaducts is west of Uddingston station and crosses the River Clyde.
...

More details
Though one of the less exotic trains to use the line, this humble Class 156 DMU, on a service from Edinburgh to Glasgow Central via Shotts, ...
Colin McDonald 13/01/2015
The 1848 Caledonian Railway cast iron viaduct at Uddingston (foreground) looks solid enough in 2015 (and was put on the market for sale in 1993) but ...
Colin McDonald 13/01/2015

This signal box was east of the site of the original Newton [1st] station. It was located on the south side of the line.
...

More details




This junction is immediately east of Newton station. Here the Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) separates from the Clydesdale Junction Railway and heads south east to Hamilton. Both lines opened in 1849.
...

More details

This is a two platform station. The location was formerly a four platform station, the two northern tracks no longer have platforms and allow non-stop trains to bypass the station.
...

More details
Late running meant a quick turnaround for 314210 and I barely had time to get into position for this shot before it pulled out back to Glasgow Central ...
David Panton 11/12/2019
The end is nigh for the Class 314 EMUs in December 2019. Here is 314202, in Greater Glasgow orange livery, at Newton with a Balloch service in the ...
Bill Roberton //1990
A pair of Class 318s leave Newton heading to Motherwell via Hamilton on the afternoon of 10 January 2019. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
A Larkhall to Dalmuir service at Newton on 8 September 2018. The long-disused signal box seems destined to lower over the western end of the station ...
David Panton 08/09/2018

Newton West Junction is to the west of Newton station. It is where lines divide into the bypass lines, to the north, and platform lines, to the south. The platform lines are joined by the line from Kirkhill, to the south west, as they approach the station. This location is called Newton Kirkhill Junction although it used to come under Newton West Junction.
...

More details
Fossil fuel express changing the climate locally on 10th December 2015. ...
Colin McDonald 10/12/2015

This is a two platform station. Main Street is to the north, crossing over the line at the west end of the station. There were station buildings with glazed canopies, now gone. There was a signal box on the westbound platform until 1931.
...

More details
A Lanark service enters Cambuslang on 26 February 2020. ...
David Panton 26/02/2020
A Dalmuir service approaches Cambuslang on 24 August 2019. ...
David Panton 24/08/2019
318254, working a Dalmuir bound service, calls at Cambuslang on 2nd September 2017.
...
David Panton 02/09/2017
A Glasgow Central to Lanark service at Cambuslang on 20 June 2018. ...
David Panton 20/06/2018

This goods yard was to the east of the present day Rutherglen station, immediately west of Rutherglen East Junction. The yard was on the north side of the line, approached by reversal from the east. The yard was small with a goods yard and pair of sidings. Sidings remain here today - permanent way sidings at the east end of Rutherglen Yard (largely removed for the M74 extension). ...

More details




South Side Station

A short line ran from Gushetfaulds Junction to South Side [CR] station terminus.

This junction was formed in 1849 when a short detached portion of the Clydesdale Junction Railway was opened from the former Polloc and Govan Railway (which the Clydesdale had purchased and upgraded) to a new terminus at South Side [CR]. This was an important new terminus in the south side of Glasgow, from 1849 the terminus for trains from England via the Caledonian Railway. ...

More details
44318 at Gushetfaulds Junction in June 1962 ...
Ken Browne /06/1962
EE Type 4 no D269 of Crewe shed with the 1005 Glasgow Central - Birmingham New Street passes Black 5 no 45136 on ECS at Gushetfaulds Junction on 9 ...
Ken Browne 09/06/1962
4.6.2 46209 'Princess Beatrice' on up 'Midday Scot' near Gushetfaulds. 27/07/1955
...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 27/07/1955


This considerable Caledonian Railway carriage shed (around 17 lines) was located between South Side [CR] (to the east) and the Gordon Street lines approaching Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway) (with Gushetfaulds station to the south) and City of Glasgow Union Railway to the west. Approach was from Central Station Junction / [Gushetfaulds Junction]] to the east.
...

More details

This was the main Freightliner terminal in Glasgow. The site began as the goods and minerals portion main terminus on the south side of Glasgow, he passenger station actually called South Side [CR].
...

More details
Lever for moving a set of manual points. Gushetfaulds, January 2006. ...
Colin Harkins 29/01/2006
The closed Gushetfaulds Freightliner Terminal, now the course of the M74 extension, in the 1990s.
...
Bill Roberton //1990
Some sort of strange art piece at the former Gushetfaulds yard. ...
Colin Harkins 29/01/2006
Gushetfaulds Freightliner depot, now closed. Formerly a coal depot and formerly Glasgow South Side. ...
Ewan Crawford 20/06/2006

This terminus was located between the junction of Pollokshaws Road and Cathcart Street. The west portion was the terminus of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston direct Railway and the east portion opened with the Clydesdale Junction Railway.
...

More details