Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway

Introduction

This line is closed, save for sections between Neilston and Cathcart (used by electric passenger trains), Cathcart and Newton (used by electric passenger trains and diverted trains), a siding north of Lugton (occasionally used by fertiliser freight trains), Lugton to RNAD Beith (used to deliver Government supplies to and from the site; the line has not been used for some time) and sidings at Stevenston (for the Stevenston and Ardeer works; these sidings are now out of use).



Much of the closed length of the line remains walkable. A pipeline has been laid buried in the trackbed at Uplawmoor [1st]. Many of the works associated with the line were built in concrete and remain intact.



The line was a protege of the Caledonian Railway and was intended to compete with the existing Glasgow and South Western Railway services on the parallel former Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.

Why built

Initially the locally promoted Barrmill and Kilwinning Railway was to be a link between existing lines; the Glasgow and South Western Railway's Ardrossan-Glasgow line and the jointly owned Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway.



With Caledonian Railway backing its intent expanded to include an independent route from the port at Ardrossan through to the Lanarkshire coalfield, iron works and steel works.



Iron ore began to be imported in quantity from Spain in the 1870s as local supplies were either worked out or unable to supply the increasing number of works. This line would put ownership of the route from Lanarkshire to Ayrshire under single ownership.

Service

There are two passenger services. Electric trains run to Neilston from Glasgow Central (High Level) via Queens Park. Additionally electric trains run to Newton from Glasgow Central (High Level) via Shawlands.






Dates

20/08/1883Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Act receives Royal assent as the Barrmill and Kilwinning Railway.
  /09/1888Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Four road shed opened at Ardrossan North, (Ardrossan Shed [CR]), with 42ft Cowans Sheldon Works turntable. Built by Robert McAlpine. Sub-shed of Polmadie Shed.
03/09/1888Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Opened from Barrmill Junction to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier.
03/09/1888Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Line renamed Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway. The new line intended to carry iron ore from Ardrossan to Coatbridge and Motherwell.
  /  /1900Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Ardrossan Shed [CR] turntable enlarged to 51ft.
01/04/1903Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Giffen Junction to Clarkston East Junction opened for goods.
01/05/1903Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Giffen Junction to Cathcart opened for passengers.
01/05/1903Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
With an independent route now established, Barrmill Junction to Giffen Junction was closed.
01/05/1903Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Muirend station opened.
20/09/1903Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Lugton East Junction to Lugton Junction opened. This was an interchange spur but also allowed trains to run from Glasgow to Kilmarnock as far as Lugton on an Caledonian Railway only owned route.
06/01/1904Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Newton to Cathcart and Clarkston West Junction opened for goods.
20/06/1904Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction opened to goods. This was probably largely opened for Govan Iron Works (Dixon's Blazes) and the Clyde Iron Works.
01/08/1904Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Newton to Cathcart and Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction opened for passengers.
01/08/1904Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kirkhill and Burnside stations opened.
  /  /1907Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Clarkston East Junction to Clarkston West Junction abandoned.
  /  /1923Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Ardrossan Shed [CR] renamed Ardrossan North Shed.
01/01/1923Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway
Caledonian Railway
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Callander and Oban Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Highland Railway
Cathcart District Railway
Killin Railway
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee
Brechin and Edzell District Railway
Dornoch Light Railway
Wick and Lybster Light Railway
Grouped into London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
10/09/1928Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kings Park station opened. (Alternative date 08/10/1928.)
  /02/1929Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Barrmill Junction and Giffen Junction signal boxes closed.
09/07/1929Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Williamwood station opened. This obliterated the former Clarkston West Junction.
  /  /1930Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Track between Barrmill Junction and Giffen Junction lifted.
28/07/1930Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Irvine Bank Street to Kilwinning East closed to passengers.
01/12/1930Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kilbirnie South to Giffen closed to passengers.
01/12/1930Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Glengarnock High to Giffen closed to freight.
01/01/1931Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Croftfoot station opened.
  /07/1931Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Ardrossan North Shed closed and locomotives transferred to Ardrossan Shed [G&SW] [2nd] .
04/07/1932Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Ardrossan North to Uplawmoor [1st] closed to passengers, (except boat train specials). Stevenston Moorpark and Saltcoats North closed.
01/06/1939Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Irvine Bank Street to Kilwinning East closed to freight.
27/01/1947Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kilwinning East to Stevenston Moorpark closed. Boat trains diverted to the former Glasgow and South Western Railway route from 16 June.
16/06/1947Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Stevenston link opened.
17/10/1949Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Lugton East Junction to Kilwinning East singled, signalling removed.
17/12/1950Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Barrmill Junction to Giffen Junction re-opened.
17/12/1950Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Lugton East Junction to Giffen Junction closed.
  /07/1952Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Lugton East Junction to Giffen Junction lifted completely.
  /  /1953Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Ardrossan North Shed demolished after being used for storage.
30/03/1953Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kilwinning East to Giffen (excluded) closed to freight.
  /04/1955Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kilwinning East to Giffen lifted completely.
02/04/1962Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Uplawmoor [1st] to Neilston High closed to passengers.
14/12/1964Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Lugton Junction (on the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway) to Uplawmoor [1st] closed to all traffic (Lugton was used to round Uplawmoor trains).
01/08/1966Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kirkhill (Kirkhill Junction) to Carmyle (Westburn Junction) closed to freight.
06/05/1968Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier to Stevenson No 1 Signal Box [2nd] closed to all traffic, (Ardrossan North Goods coal yard and Ardrossan Refinery's bitumen depot remained accessible through harbour sidings from Ardrossan Town).
  /  /1970Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier and Ardrossan North to Stevenston lifted in the early 1970s. Access to the Ardrossan Refinery bitumen works at Ardrossan North is retained via the sidings from Ardrossan Town.

Route described

The line runs from the junction with the Hamilton branch at Newton through Cathcart and on to Neilston, Giffen (branch to Kilbirnie), Kilwinning (branch to Irvine) and finally Ardrossan.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Barrmill to Ardrossan

Opened in 1888 from Barrmill Junction to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier.

The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway line started from here and ran to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier. The line from Barrmill to Glasgow was jointly owned and the Caledonian Railway was to build a further Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway line from Giffen Junction to Newton completely under their control.
...

More details

This junction did not exist on the original Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier to Barrmill Junction line. The Caledonian Railway, having control over the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway, was keen to own entirely a route to Ardrossan. From Barrmill Junction to Langside Junction the line was jointly owned with the Glasgow and South Western Railway.
...

More details
Giffen Junction looking north to Barrmill Junction in 1997. The line was still in use, but perhaps only for the annual weedkilling train! This ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
Giffen Junction looking to Barrmill. The line straight on was the original, replaced with the line from Lugton East which was to the right but was ...
Ewan Crawford 07/10/2006

Owned by Barr Coal Co. ...

More details

This was a four platform station. There were two main platforms on the Giffen Junction to Kilwinning East main line and also two on the Kilbirnie (South) branch. However, there were two tracks between the main platforms and only one between the branch platforms. The branch down side was the west face of the island platform whose east side served the up main line. The branch up side ...

More details
Giffen is very much reverting to nature. Some earthmoving followed by further tree growth has obscured the remains (and single track which is probably ...
Ewan Crawford 17/08/2017
Giffen. Caledonian 18.5 inch 0.6.0 57581. SLS Tour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/06/1962
57581 with the SLS Glasgow South Rail Tour at Giffen in June 1962. ...
K A Gray 09/06/1962
Giffen. Caledonian 18.5 inch 0.6.0 57581. SLS Tour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/06/1962


At this junction the Kilbirnie (South) branch left the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway main line. Giffen station was immediately north/east of the junction.
...

More details
57581 pictured with the Glasgow South Railtour at RNAD Giffen on 9 June 1964 after running round in the exchange sidings. ...
K A Gray 09/06/1964
B1 no 61342 with 'Scottish Rambler no 3' stands at Giffen on 10 April 1966. ...
Andy Carr Collection 10/04/1966

This was a two platform station. There was a goods yard on the south side, approached from the west. The concrete platforms remain here but no buildings survive. ...

More details
Auchenmade looking north towards Giffen. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/10/2006




This seven arch double track masonry viaduct was built in 1886 by Robert McAlpine. It is now out of use but crossed by a footpath. ...

More details
The Garnock Viaduct is the most substantial reminder of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire line in Kilwinning. This was north of Kilwinning East. It is not ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017

This was a three platform station with a junction to the south between the lines to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier and Irvine Bank Street.
...

More details
Unfortunately by 1996 this is what remained of the Caledonian station in Kilwinning. The station platforms ran from the trees to the left, into the ...
Ewan Crawford //1996

This junction was immediately south of Kilwinning East station, separated from it by the Howgate Bridge. It was located in a deep cutting with a large concrete retaining wall on the west side, which remains although only the top part is visible today.
...

More details
This was a former road bridge over the Caledonian Railway Irvine line at Pennyburn, Kilwinning. Cutting now filled in. ...
Douglas Blades //2017
Kilwinning East Junction, just south of Kilwinning East station was where the lines to Irvine Bank Street (left) and Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier ...
Ewan Crawford 07/09/2017
Former road bridge over the Caledonian Railway Ardrossan line at Pennyburn, Kilwinning. Cutting now filled in. ...
Douglas Blades 13/09/2017
You would be hard pressed to find any remains of the L&A branch from Kilwinning East to Irvine Bank Street apart from the building on Irvine's Bank ...
Douglas Blades 31/03/2019

At this junction a curve from the Ardeer Iron Works met the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway. The curve met an existing line serving the works. Trains using this curve would leave the works and head for Kilwinning East.
...

More details
View south of the Ardeer Branch from the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway bridge over it. On the right a curve from Ardeer Junction connected the L&A ...
Ewan Crawford 03/08/2017

This was a two platform station to the west of New Street which was crossed by a bridge. It had a goods yard at the west end, south side of the line approached from the west. To the east a siding ran into the Ardeer Foundry.
...

More details

This was a two platform station to the north of the present Saltcoats station. This station was built by the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway (which was controlled by the Caledonian Railway) in direct competition with the existing Glasgow and South Western Railway station. This station was to the north of Saltcoats and its harbour.
...

More details

This was a four road shed. It was located east of Ardrossan North on the north side of the line. The shed opened with the line and closed in 1931, although used for storage until 1953. Even after closure a track retained here was used for holding locomotives. ...

More details

This was the goods yard for Ardrossan North it was located on the east side of the line, north of the station. Approach was from the east.
...

More details
View of Ardrossan North coal yard taken, accidentally, from the same viewpoint as Geo C. OHaras 6 years earlier. The main line ran from left to the ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This refinery was opened in the 1928. Raw material came by sea and products were distributed by rail. By the 1970s the works specialised in bitumen production, having previously also produced aviation fuel. The works closed in 1986.
...

More details

This was a large station in the north of Ardrossan. The last of the site has been reused for housing (2017).
...

More details
The rambling remains of Ardrossan North have finally fallen to the inevitable development of housing. The bitument works were to the right and the ...
Ewan Crawford 10/08/2017
BR Standard class 4 2-6-4T no 80129 approaching Ardrossan North on 5 July 1959 with a train for Montgomerie Pier. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/07/1959
Sunlit Fairburn tank 42243 with a Glasgow bound train at Ardrossan North on 5 July 1959. The Shell refinery stands in the right background. The line ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/07/1959
Ardrossan North looking to Montgomerie Pier. The station building was to the left and Shell refinery to the right. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This two platform terminus was covered with a wooden trainshed, open to the air over the tracks. The station was located on a pier, which could be used at low tide, built on reclaimed land. There were quayside lines on both sides.
...

More details
One of William Robertson Shipowners finest MV Amethyst (Gem Line of Glasgow) unloading Paper Pulp bales from Norway for a paper mill on to railway ...
Gordon Steel 31/05/1972
The BLS/SLS Scottish Rambler No 5 on arrival at Ardrossan's Montgomie Pier station on 10 April 1966 from Glasgow Central behind B1 no 61342. ...
K A Gray 10/04/1966
'I'll see your five and raise you another ten...' Stopover at Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier for Eastfield B1 no 61342 with the much - travelled ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 10/04/1966
Looking south at the former Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier station. ...
Ewan Crawford //




Ardeer Iron Works Branch

This branch opened in 1888. It served the Ardeer Iron Works and, by reversal, the Nobel Explosives branch.

At this junction a curve from the Ardeer Iron Works met the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway. The curve met an existing line serving the works. Trains using this curve would leave the works and head for Kilwinning East.
...

More details
View south of the Ardeer Branch from the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway bridge over it. On the right a curve from Ardeer Junction connected the L&A ...
Ewan Crawford 03/08/2017

This iron works was established by the Glengarnock Iron Company on the shore of the Ardeer Peninsular just to the south of Stevenston. Good supplies of coal existed in the area. Five blast furnaces were built. Slag was deposited on the foreshore, leading to a still existing feature. The works was later owned by Merry and Cunningham. ...

More details




Kilbirnie Branch

Opened in 1889. This branch re-used an extensive portion of an older railway, the Barkip Railway which was operated in conjunction with the Glengarnock Iron Works. Brackenhill station was on the converted section.

At this junction the Kilbirnie (South) branch left the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway main line. Giffen station was immediately north/east of the junction.
...

More details
57581 pictured with the Glasgow South Railtour at RNAD Giffen on 9 June 1964 after running round in the exchange sidings. ...
K A Gray 09/06/1964
B1 no 61342 with 'Scottish Rambler no 3' stands at Giffen on 10 April 1966. ...
Andy Carr Collection 10/04/1966

RNAD Beith, a munitions depot, was built during the Second World War in 1943. It is a storage and testing location.
...

More details

Although the Kilbirnie (South) branch was single track, this was a two platform station. To the north the line continued double to the terminus and to the south it was single to Kilbirnie Junction.
...

More details


This was a terminus. ...

More details
A view north from the site of the station throat at Kilbirnie, Caledonian. The passenger station was to the left and goods yard to the right - the ...
Ewan Crawford 28/09/2017
Overgrown remains of Kilbirnie (Caley) station. ...
Ewan Crawford //




Irvine Branch

The Irvine branch was single track and ran from Kilwinning East to Irvine Bank Street. It opened in 1890. Only the down track was laid but most bridges were built to accommodate a second track if traffic increased.

This junction was immediately south of Kilwinning East station, separated from it by the Howgate Bridge. It was located in a deep cutting with a large concrete retaining wall on the west side, which remains although only the top part is visible today.
...

More details
This was a former road bridge over the Caledonian Railway Irvine line at Pennyburn, Kilwinning. Cutting now filled in. ...
Douglas Blades //2017
Kilwinning East Junction, just south of Kilwinning East station was where the lines to Irvine Bank Street (left) and Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier ...
Ewan Crawford 07/09/2017
Former road bridge over the Caledonian Railway Ardrossan line at Pennyburn, Kilwinning. Cutting now filled in. ...
Douglas Blades 13/09/2017
You would be hard pressed to find any remains of the L&A branch from Kilwinning East to Irvine Bank Street apart from the building on Irvine's Bank ...
Douglas Blades 31/03/2019

This was a three platform station with a junction to the south between the lines to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier and Irvine Bank Street.
...

More details
Unfortunately by 1996 this is what remained of the Caledonian station in Kilwinning. The station platforms ran from the trees to the left, into the ...
Ewan Crawford //1996

This iron works was located to the south of Kilwinning on the west bank of the River Garnock. It made use of the nearby collieries.
...

More details
This road more or less follows the first portion of the Doura Branch. This location was part of the site of the Eglinton Iron Works, Kilwinning (the ...
Ewan Crawford 07/09/2017
This view looks west at the site of Eglinton Iron Works at the point where the closed Doura branch (now the road) came in under the Kilwinning to ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
I am standing with my back to the existing Ayr line facing east. Below me is the trackbed of the Doura branch where it passed under the Ayr line. The ...
Douglas Blades //2017

A slag processing area which processed the slag hill at the former Eglinton Iron Works. ...

More details

This was a single platform station - the platform was on the east side of the line a siding, approached from the north, was on the west. The line was built to take two lines, but on the down track was laid.
...

More details
This view is south east over the site of the Caledonian Railway's Bogside Moor Halt. This was a single platform station in a cutting (now infilled) - ...
Ewan Crawford //1998


This was a single platform terminus. It was the terminus of the Caledonian Railway's Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway line south from Kilwinning East which potentially could be have been extended south to Ayr.
...

More details
After closure of the Caledonian Railway's Irvine Bank Street terminus the site became a light industrial estate. This shed occupied the station area. ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
Frontage of the former L&A station on Bank Street, Irvine, on 10 December 2015. [See image 53543] ...
Andy Furnevel 10/12/2015
The last purpose built surviving building within the old goods yard at Irvine Bank Street in 1997. View looks north. The former station building on ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
Looking east along Bank Street, Irvine, on 10 December 2015. The young lady is walking past what was once the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway's 1890 ...
Andy Furnevel 10/12/2015




Clarkston East Junction to Giffen Junction

This line opened in 1903. This extended the line east to Clarkston East Junction, parallel to the joint line.

Black 5 4-6-0 no 45459 crossing the bridge over the L&A route as it approaches the site of Clarkston East Junction on 26 May 1962 with a freight ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/05/1962
BR Standard tank 80021 climbs past the site of Clarkston East Junction on 8 April 1963 heading for East Kilbride. [Ref query 6574] ...
John Robin 08/04/1963
A Met-Cam DMU passing the site of Clarkston East Junction on 11 August 1959 with a Glasgow St Enoch - East Kilbride service. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 11/08/1959
Standard tank 80063 passing the site of Clarkston East Junction in May 1965 with ecs from East Kilbride. ...
John Robin 28/05/1965

In 1903, the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway was extended from Giffen Junction to Clarkston and, a month later, Cathcart. At this junction the Clarkston and Cathcart routes separated. This junction was the start of the passenger route to Glasgow via Cathcart and a curve to Clarkston East Junction which carried goods to and from Lanarkshire via East Kilbride before the ...

More details

This is one of the finest stations in the Greater Glasgow area. It is a two platform station. The main station building on the up platform still stands. Unfortunately the down platform building and signal box have not survived.
...

More details
Another one of the planters at Whitecraigs station in June 2017. ...
Peter Mckinlay 08/06/2017
While we endure this cold spell, here is a reminder of Summer days. Here is a platform view from 2015 of Whitecraigs. ...
Peter Mckinlay //2015
A delightful recent photograph of the floral display at Whitecraigs station, one of many ScotRail stations to be 'adopted'. ...
Peter Mckinlay 08/06/2017
Part of the very well tended floral display at Whitecraigs station in June 2018.
...
Peter Mckinlay 22/06/2018

This is a two platform station with a car park. Unfortunately the buildings, similar to those at Whitecraigs, have not survived ...

More details
314 206, still in SPT livery, calls at Patterton with a service for Glasgow on 04/03/2017. ...
David Panton 04/03/2017
BR Standard class 4 tank 80127 waits to leave Patterton on 8 September 1960 with a train for Glasgow. [Ref query 32665] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/09/1960
City bound train from Neilston about to leave Patterton on 28 July 2008. Ongoing engineering work at Pollokshields East to address subsidence problems ...
David Panton 28/07/2008
A quiet Sunday morning in June 2007 at Patterton station, looking east from the B769 roadbridge towards Whitecraigs. ...
John Furnevel 17/06/2007

This was to be a station with an island platform. To the immediate west the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway was met by the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway at Lyoncross Junction.
...

More details
A view south over the site of the never opened Lyoncross station on 8 September 1960, with BR Standard tank 80107 passing on a Neilston High - Glasgow ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/09/1960

This junction was immediately west of the never built Lyoncross station.
...

More details
A 314 passes the site of Lyoncross Junction. The Barrhead and Paisley route was in the trees behind the train. ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
A 318 passes the site of Lyoncross Junction. The lines still pass round the never built island platform. Unfortunately tree growth makes the formation ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
Fairburn 2-6-4T 42244 passing the site of Lyoncross Junction on 29 September 1960 with the 12.11pm Glasgow Central - Neilston High. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/09/1960
Standard tank 80023 passing the site of Lyoncross Junction on 20 September 1960 with the 6.18pm Glasgow Central - Neilston High train. [Ref query ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/09/1960

This goods yard was located between Neilston and Lyoncross Junction at a rural location.
...

More details
The rural nature of the last few miles of the Neilston branch are obvious in the view. 314 206 is heading for Glasgow passing the site of Netherton ...
Ewan Crawford 28/09/2017

This is a two platform terminus station. To the south the two lines merge in a reversing spur. Although the Caledonian Railway style station buildings were demolished in the 1980s the goods shed survives.
...

More details
2P 4-4-0 40617 climbing Neilston Bank in May 1964 with a Kilmarnock local. [Ref query 8 July 2018] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
Having arrived at Platform 2 (foreground) then reversed in the stub beyond
...
David Panton 17/06/2017
Green shoots beginning to appear at Neilston station on St Valentine's Day 2014. At the platform is the 12.00 service to Glasgow Central. ...
John Yellowlees 14/02/2014
Neilston (High) sporting a building and canopies. Building now demolished. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987


This was a two platform station in typical Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway style of the Caledonian Railway.
...

More details
A view of the concrete southbound platform at Uplawmoor taken from the remains of the northbound platform. To the north/east of here the trackbed ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
Looking east at the remains of Uplawmoor station from platform level. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
BR Standard class 5 4-6-0 no 73058 running between Uplawmoor and Lugton East Junction with empty stock on 15 June 1961. [Ref query 6575] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/06/1961
BR Standard class 4 2-6-4T 80113 reaches the end of its journey as it runs into Uplawmoor station on 11 July 1956 with the 5.42pm train from Glasgow ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 11/07/1956

Empty stock at Lugton East sidings on 25 June 1956 behind Fairburn tank 42208. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1960
Fairburn 2-6-4T 42055 arriving at Lugton East Junction on 15 June 1961 The locomotive is heading for the sidings with the empty stock from an ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/06/1961
Remains of the signal box looking to Glasgow at Lugton East junction. Here a spur to the G&SWR station left the L&AR. This was where local trains from ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
Fairburn 2-6-4T 42056 at the site of Lugton East Junction on 21 March 1962 with the empty stock of a Glasgow Central - Uplawmoor train. Photographed ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 21/03/1962

This was a two platform station. It was to the south of Lugton station (which was on the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway).
...

More details
It comes to something when a gate is all that remains of a station. Still, that's more than some. This gate was on the west side of Lugton High, with ...
Ewan Crawford 03/08/2017
View towards Glasgow at Lugton East. Recent(ish) demolition of the sheds here [see image 60229] has revealed the platform edging - between the ...
Ewan Crawford 03/08/2017
View towards Ardrossan at Lugton High in 1996. The double track and two platforms were in line with the right hand portion of the building. ...
Ewan Crawford //1996

A double track eleven arch viaduct built by Robert McAlpine in concrete. After falling out of use in 1950, the viaduct survived until late 2007 / early 2008 when it was demolished. ...

More details
Looking south at Gree Viaduct (on the Caledonian Railway's Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway) over the 'Giffen Branch' (the Beith Branch of the Glasgow ...
Ewan Crawford //1989

This goods yard was on the south side of the line, approached from the west. It consisted of three sidings and a loading bank in a cutting. Gree Farm is to the east.
...

More details
Gree was on of several countryside goods stations on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire. The site of the yard itself has been infilled but the extraordinary ...
Ewan Crawford 28/09/2017




This viaduct has been demolished. It was a seven span double track mass concrete viaduct built by Robert McAlpine. ...

More details
Giffenmill viaduct, immediately east of Giffen Junction on the line from Giffen to Lugton East, has been demolished. The concrete was crushed and ...
Ewan Crawford 07/10/2006

This junction did not exist on the original Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier to Barrmill Junction line. The Caledonian Railway, having control over the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway, was keen to own entirely a route to Ardrossan. From Barrmill Junction to Langside Junction the line was jointly owned with the Glasgow and South Western Railway.
...

More details
Giffen Junction looking north to Barrmill Junction in 1997. The line was still in use, but perhaps only for the annual weedkilling train! This ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
Giffen Junction looking to Barrmill. The line straight on was the original, replaced with the line from Lugton East which was to the right but was ...
Ewan Crawford 07/10/2006




Lugton East Junction to Lugton L and A Junction

This short connection opened in 1903 to meet the joint line. A number of sidings opened with the connection.

Empty stock at Lugton East sidings on 25 June 1956 behind Fairburn tank 42208. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1960
Fairburn 2-6-4T 42055 arriving at Lugton East Junction on 15 June 1961 The locomotive is heading for the sidings with the empty stock from an ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/06/1961
Remains of the signal box looking to Glasgow at Lugton East junction. Here a spur to the G&SWR station left the L&AR. This was where local trains from ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
Fairburn 2-6-4T 42056 at the site of Lugton East Junction on 21 March 1962 with the empty stock of a Glasgow Central - Uplawmoor train. Photographed ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 21/03/1962

The empty stock of a Glasgow Central - Uplawmoor train at Lugton East sidings on 15 June 1961. Locomotive is Polmadie shed's Fairburn 2-6-4 tank ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/06/1961
[Railscot note: probably Lugton East exchange sidings, in the V of Lugton East Junction.] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/06/1962
McIntosh 0-6-0 no 57581 at Lugton East on 9 June 1962 during a visit with the SLS Glasgow South Rail Tour which originated from Glasgow ...
K A Gray 09/06/1962
A pair of McIntosh ex-Caledonian 0-4-4 tanks stored in the sidings at Lugton awaiting disposal on 26 June 1962. 55266 and 55206 had been officially ...
John Robin 26/06/1962





Cathcart West Junction to Clarkston West Junction

This opened in 1903 and extended the line east from Clarkston West Junction to Cathcart West Junction.

This is a four way junction. Two lines of the Cathcart Circle from Glasgow Central, one via Crosshill and via Maxwell Park, meet a line from Neilston and a line from Newton. The junction allows a train via Crosshill to run to Neilston and a train via Maxwell Park to run to Newton. Unfortunately the latter passes close to Cathcart but does not serve it.
...

More details
380103 on a Neilston to Glasgow Central service snakes its way across Cathcart West Jct as it enters Cathcart station on 10 January 2019. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
303 heading for Neilston having left Cathcart. This was the site of the junction on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway between the line to Glasgow ...
Ewan Crawford //
The 'N' on the toy signal at the south end of Cathcart station indicates
...
David Panton 06/12/2017
BR Standard class 4 80056 diverging at Cathcart West Junction on 28 August 1957 with a train for Whitecraigs. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/08/1957

Muirend is one of the finest stations in the Glasgow area. It is an island platform with original building, with canopies.
...

More details
Station building, late Caley style. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
73061 photographed near Muirend on 29 April 1960 with a Neilston High - Glasgow Central train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/04/1960
314 209 pulls away from Muirend on 14 June bound for Glasgow Central. ...
David Panton 14/06/2008
A Glasgow Central - Neilston High train leaving Muirend on 17 May 1960 behind Fairburn tank 42268. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1960

This is a two platform station built on the site of Clarkston West Junction. ...

More details
Semi-rural Williamwood Halt opened in the 1920s and has never lost its halt-like platform, despite the development it encouraged. A Neilston service ...
David Panton 07/07/2018
The Neilston line is the last stronghold of Class 314s and 314201 takes a Glasgow service on 7 July 2018. I didn't hang about to see whether that chap ...
David Panton 07/07/2018
Williamwood showing the 1979 building. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
A Glasgow Central - Neilston service photographed at Williamwood on 22 May 2009. Unit 314207.
...
John Steven 22/05/2009

In 1903, the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway was extended from Giffen Junction to Clarkston and, a month later, Cathcart. At this junction the Clarkston and Cathcart routes separated. This junction was the start of the passenger route to Glasgow via Cathcart and a curve to Clarkston East Junction which carried goods to and from Lanarkshire via East Kilbride before the ...

More details




Muirend to Clarkston East Junction

This curve was built but was only used as carriage sidings from the Muirend station end.

Muirend is one of the finest stations in the Glasgow area. It is an island platform with original building, with canopies.
...

More details
Station building, late Caley style. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
73061 photographed near Muirend on 29 April 1960 with a Neilston High - Glasgow Central train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/04/1960
314 209 pulls away from Muirend on 14 June bound for Glasgow Central. ...
David Panton 14/06/2008
A Glasgow Central - Neilston High train leaving Muirend on 17 May 1960 behind Fairburn tank 42268. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1960


Black 5 4-6-0 no 45459 crossing the bridge over the L&A route as it approaches the site of Clarkston East Junction on 26 May 1962 with a freight ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/05/1962
BR Standard tank 80021 climbs past the site of Clarkston East Junction on 8 April 1963 heading for East Kilbride. [Ref query 6574] ...
John Robin 08/04/1963
A Met-Cam DMU passing the site of Clarkston East Junction on 11 August 1959 with a Glasgow St Enoch - East Kilbride service. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 11/08/1959
Standard tank 80063 passing the site of Clarkston East Junction in May 1965 with ecs from East Kilbride. ...
John Robin 28/05/1965




Newton Junction to Cathcart West Junction

This extension east opened in 1904. This extended the line from Cathcart West Junction to Newton Junction. Opening this was the beginning of the end for the goods only Clarkston West Junction to Clarkston East Junction curve.

This was the junction between the former Clydesdale Junction Railway and the Glasgow Central Railway to the immediate west of Newton station. To the immediate west of the junction the former Clydesdale Junction Railway and Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway part and run a short distance west before diverging. ...

More details



This station is immediately west of Kirkhill Tunnel. It is a two platform station.
...

More details
Eastbound train at Kirkhill about to enter the tunnel. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Eastbound at Kirkhill. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
A Newton to Glasgow 314 EMU service calls at Kirkhill on the wet Saurday afternoon
...
David Panton 13/01/2018
Kirkhill, with 3?3061 for Glasgow. ...
Aitken Scott //

This is an island platform station. The line is raised and the entry is by subway, with a rather fine archway entrance to the subway at street level. This was covered over with an oversize Burnside sign for many years, but has now been uncovered again. The original station building has not survived. At the east end of the station two bridges cross Burnside Road, the southern of which carried two ...

More details
320s seem to be regular stand-ins for 314s on the Cathcart lines these days. One such calls at Burnside on 20 June heading for Newton. The station ...
David Panton 20/06/2018
314 203 approaching Burnside with a service for to Glasgow Central
...
John Steven 15/07/2009
One expects a figure in a cassock to be hurrying past this entrance, not a woman with her shopping. The 'windows' though are blind, and the carvings ...
David Panton 20/06/2018
314 210 with a service for Glasgow via Maxwell Park calls at Burnside on 26 March 2011. ...
David Panton 26/03/2011

This is an island platform station. There is no car park. The station is on a raised embankment, accessed by a subway. The station building is relatively modern and has awnings.
...

More details
The corporate look: a Newton service at Croftfoot on 20th June 2018. ...
David Panton 20/06/2018
Platform scene at Croftfoot. July 2009. ...
John Steven 15/07/2009
A Glasgow bound 314 211 approaching Croftfoot station on 15 July.
...
John Steven 15/07/2009
Quiet afternoon at Croftfoot, 23 June 2015. ...
John Yellowlees 23/06/2015

This is an island platform station which still has an original station building.
...

More details
A Newton service formed of a brace of doomed Class 314s calls at Kings Park on 19 May. Saturday services would not normally warrant this doubling up, ...
David Panton 19/05/2018
Kings Park looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
A Newton to Glasgow service, beefed up to six coaches for the Scottish FA cup final, arrives at Kings Park on 19 May before disgorging its load of ...
David Panton 19/05/2018
Kings Park looking east. There used to be a loop on the left hand side. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987


This is a double track junction where lines of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway meet between Cathcart and Newton.
...

More details

This is a four way junction. Two lines of the Cathcart Circle from Glasgow Central, one via Crosshill and via Maxwell Park, meet a line from Neilston and a line from Newton. The junction allows a train via Crosshill to run to Neilston and a train via Maxwell Park to run to Newton. Unfortunately the latter passes close to Cathcart but does not serve it.
...

More details
380103 on a Neilston to Glasgow Central service snakes its way across Cathcart West Jct as it enters Cathcart station on 10 January 2019. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
303 heading for Neilston having left Cathcart. This was the site of the junction on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway between the line to Glasgow ...
Ewan Crawford //
The 'N' on the toy signal at the south end of Cathcart station indicates
...
David Panton 06/12/2017
BR Standard class 4 80056 diverging at Cathcart West Junction on 28 August 1957 with a train for Whitecraigs. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/08/1957




Cathcart East Junction to Cathcart North Junction

This pair of single track curve link the Cathcart District Railway at Mount Florida, Cathcart North Junction, to [King's Park]], Cathcart East Junction.

This is a double track junction where lines of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway meet between Cathcart and Newton.
...

More details

This junction is just south of Mount Florida station. Here the Cathcart District Railway of 1886 is met, on either side, by lines from the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway of 1904. Of the 1904 lines the south east bound line simply runs south and east to Cathcart East Junction, the northbound line burrows under the Cathcart District to reach Cathcart East. It passes under at a ...

More details
Standard class 5 4-6-0 no 73058 passing Cathcart North Junction on 19 April 1957 with a train for Uplawmoor. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 19/04/1957
Fairburn 2-6-4 tank 42191 gets the L&A distant at Cathcart North Junction on 30 August 1957 with a train for Whitecraigs. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/08/1957
73055 at Cathcart North Junction on 30 August 1957 with a train for Whitecraigs. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/08/1957
C.R. 18.5 0.6.0 57555 on Kirkhill train. Cathcart North Junction. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/08/1957




Kirkhill Junction to Westburn Junction

This goods only connection opened in 1904. It ran from Kirkhill Junction, just east of Kirkhill Tunnel, to Westburn Junction on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway. This connection would be useful for Ardrossan traffic to Govan Iron Works and Clyde Iron Works.