This is a two platform station on the East Kilbride Line. The main station building was on the Glasgow bound platform, with a waiting room opposite.
When opened this station was in the countryside, Clarkston was a small settlement to the west of the station. It is now in a suburb of Glasgow.
The station had a goods yard to the north which was approached by reversing from the East Kilbride bound platform. It is now a car park. The signal box (1881) was at the north end of the southbound platform. In the station courtyard was a bus garage.
The box closed in 1966.
A lattice footbridge still stands between the platforms and the main station building, a 1970s structure, stands on the Glasgow Central bound platform.
Although no original station buildings survive there is an excellent example of a Caledonian Railway style railway cottage on Busby Road.
| Busby Viaduct|
Clarkston East Junction
Clarkston West Junction
Muirend Carriage Sidings
New Braidbar Quarry
Busby Print Works
Washwall's New Siding
Washwall's Old Siding
Giffnock Brick Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Charabanc to Eaglesham
A branch line was not built to Eaglesham, however from 1905 the Caledonian Railway operated buses from Clarkston station to the village. The company built a bus garage at the station in 1907.
Several different vehicles were used including a Durham Churchill and Co charabanc which was used for the Connel Ferry to Benderloch service which crossed the Connel Ferry Bridge during the period before the bridge was opened to road traffic. The bus was altered at the St Rollox Works with the addition of railway wheels for the task. (Note: if not actually the same bus, it was the same type.) The charabanc was fitted with banked seating. While on the Eaglesham service its sides were labelled 'Caledonian Motor Car Service - Eaglesham Clarkston & C... - Railway Station'.