East Kilbride (1868-)
Opened on the Busby Railway.
Opened on the Blantyre to East Kilbride Line (Caledonian Railway).
Open on the East Kilbride Line.
This station has a single platform and is a terminus. A loop at the terminus survived until 2005. To the west, the Hairmyres Loop opened in 1990.
Originally this was not a terminus, it was a single platform station with a loop on the route between Busby and Hunthill Junction.
When opened East Kilbride was a small village. It was chosen to become Scotland's first New Town in 1947 and has expanded out widely for miles beyond the station and original village.
Despite the relatively low population the line was retained as far as East Kilbride when the route east of the station closed to passengers in 1937. The line to the east of the station was retained until 1966 to serve Mavor and Coulson's works.
There was a goods yard on the north side of the line, served from the west. This survived until 1989, although unused for goods for several years. The goods shed survived until 1990. The yard was used by a coal merchant who continued to operate from it even after delivery by rail ceased around 1983.
East Kilbride Shed was located here, probably associate with banking duties,
Calderwood Glen Platform
Other railway and industry locations
East Kilbride Shed
Mavor and Coulson
Rotten Calder Viaduct
Blantyre Colliery Pit No 2
Blantyre Pits Signal Box
National Museum of Rural Life
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|