Hunthill Junction (1881-1937)
Opened on the Blantyre to East Kilbride Line (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway.
Hunthill Junction was immediately north of High Blantyre, which unfortunately was not served by it. Just west on the East Kilbride route was the Rotten Calder Viaduct.
The junction opened in 1881 between the existing (1860) Hamilton and Strathaven Railway and the new line west to East Kilbride.
This was a double track junction, the line to East Kilbride almost immediately becoming single track before crossing the viaduct which was built to take two tracks (the eastbound line was not laid). A box opened with the junction. It was on the north west side of the junction.
The original box was replaced in 1908 after a fire.
The East Kilbride route closed in 1935 and the box closed shortly afterwards in 1937.
The remaining line closed to passengers in 1945, cut back to Sykes Siding (High Blantyre) in 1953, was singled in 1957 and closed in 1960.
The location is now housing on the south side of Stonefield Crescent.
Calderwood Glen Platform
Bothwell [North British]
Other railway and industry locations
Blantyre Colliery Pit No 4
Blantyre Pits Signal Box
Rotten Calder Viaduct
Blantyre Colliery Pit No 2
Blantyre No 4 Pit Box
Priestfield Colliery No 1
Auchinraith Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Blantyre Colliery Pit No 3
Birdsfield Wagon Works
Birdsfield Tile Works
Auchinraith Junction [NBR]
Blantyre Junction [CR]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|