Hamilton and Strathaven Railway

Introduction

This railway is closed. The line was built by coal and iron masters to serve coalmines and the iron works near Quarter.




Dates

  /  /1857Hamilton and Strathaven Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1864Hamilton and Strathaven RailwayCaledonian Railway
Hamilton and Strathaven Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
01/09/1864Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Canderside Exchange Sidings to Cot Castle Goods opened to minerals. This leads to the singling of Hamilton and Strathaven Railway south of Quarter.
  /  /1896Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Construction of line from Cot Castle Goods (Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)) to Strathaven Central (Hamilton and Strathaven Railway) begins.
  /  /1896Hamilton and Strathaven Railway Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Whiteshawgate Junction to Strathaven Central construction begins.
  /  /1905Hamilton and Strathaven Railway
Strathaven [1st] closed (becomes Flemington goods station) on opening of extension from Whiteshawgate Junction to Strathaven Central. Stations opened at Strathaven North and Strathaven Central.
01/07/1905Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Cot Castle Goods (Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)) to Strathaven Central (Hamilton and Strathaven Railway) opened.
01/10/1945Hamilton and Strathaven Railway
High Blantyre (Auchenraith Junction) to Blantyre Junction closed to passengers.
01/10/1945Hamilton and Strathaven Railway
Strathaven Central to Hamilton West (Strathaven Junction) closed to passengers
21/09/1953Hamilton and Strathaven Railway
Strathaven Central to High Blantyre closed to freight.
  /  /1958Hamilton and Strathaven Railway
High Blantyre (Auchenraith Junction) to Blantyre Junction closed to freight.
01/06/1960Hamilton and Strathaven Railway
High Blantyre to Strathaven Junction closed to freight.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Hamilton to Strathaven

In 1860 the first part of the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway opened, climbing from the 1849 Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) to the higher ground to the west at High Blantyre and then turn south, ultimately reaching Strathaven [Flemington]. In particular this line would, for its northern portion between Hamilton and Quarter, serve many collieries en route.
...

More details

This was the western apex of a triangle of junctions north of Hamilton West and south of Blantyre. The northern apex was Blantyre Junction [CR] and southern Strathaven Junction.
...

More details
Looking west to Blantyre with the line from East Kilbride on the embankment to left ...
John Robin /07/1963

This was the junction for Blantyre Colliery Pit No 4 which was north west of the junction, between Blantyre and High Blantyre on the former Hamilton and Strathaven Railway.
...

More details

Hunthill Junction was immediately north of High Blantyre, which unfortunately was not served by it. Just west on the East Kilbride route was the Rotten Calder Viaduct.
...

More details

This was a two platform station on a double track line. The station buildings were typical Caledonian Railway style with a footbridge at the north end. Hunthill Junction was not far to the north.
...

More details

This was the signal box for Udston Colliery. The colliery was on the west side of the line and the signal box on the east side at the point of connection.
...

More details

This signal box was located between Udston Box (to the north, a box south of High Blantyre) and Earnock Junction (to the south, a box north of Meikle Earnock). There was a loading bank served by sidings north and south off a short loop on the west side of the line. The box was on the south of Wellhall Road, on the east side of the line.
...

More details

This was the junction for the mineral line to Earnock Quarry, Stewartfield Quarry and Hartfield Quarry. From the junction the siding ran north east, passed through a loop, swung over the main line and ran west to a reversing spur with a loop near Udston. From there it continued to the quarries.
...

More details

This was a two platform station to the south west of Meikle Earnock village itself. A number of mines opened nearby. Both platforms had buildings, a waiting shelter on the northbound and small station building on the southbound.
...

More details


This was the junction for the Eddlewood Colliery and Neilsland Colliery. Both were on the east side of the line and the branch ran north from the junction to serve the collieries.
...

More details



This was a single platform station west of the village of Quarter. The platform was on the east (village) side of the single track line. There was a small goods yard on the east side, approached from the north. The signal box was at the south end of the station, west side of the line, just north of a level crossing.
...

More details

This station was a mile west of the village of Glassford. The station had a platform on the east (village) side of a single line.
...

More details
Site of the former Glassford station, South Lanarkshire, in 1996, looking south through the road bridge towards Strathaven. Glassford lost its ...
Ewan Crawford //1996

This junction was north of Strathaven. It was formed between the 1863 Hamilton and Strathaven Railway and the 1904 Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway), a set of lines and connection made to link together the Caledonian Railway's lines in the area. Part of this was an extension west from Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] to Darvel. The line from Whiteshawgate would connect to this ...

More details
Looking south towards Strathaven at Whiteshawgate Junction in July 1953. To the left is the route for Strathaven Central and right for Strathaven ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 07/07/1953

This was the terminus of the line from Hamilton. The station was at Flemington, just to the north east of Strathaven.
...

More details




Blantyre Curve

This junction was directly south of Blantyre station. It was between the 1849 Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and a curve opened in 1882 to allow coal trains from the 1860 Hamilton and Strathaven Railway direct access to Glasgow without reversal at Strathaven Junction. The far end of the curve was at Auchinraith Junction (also spelled Auchenraith).
...

More details

This was the western apex of a triangle of junctions north of Hamilton West and south of Blantyre. The northern apex was Blantyre Junction [CR] and southern Strathaven Junction.
...

More details
Looking west to Blantyre with the line from East Kilbride on the embankment to left ...
John Robin /07/1963




Auchinraith Colliery Branch

This was the western apex of a triangle of junctions north of Hamilton West and south of Blantyre. The northern apex was Blantyre Junction [CR] and southern Strathaven Junction.
...

More details
Looking west to Blantyre with the line from East Kilbride on the embankment to left ...
John Robin /07/1963

This junction on the North British Railway's Blantyre branch gave access to Auchinraith Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2. To the east was Birdsfield Siding and the connection to the main NBR Hamilton branch at Blantyre Junction [NBR].
...

More details




Blantyre No 4 Branch

The Blantyre Colliery was owned by William Smith Dixon. ...

More details

This was the junction for Blantyre Colliery Pit No 4 which was north west of the junction, between Blantyre and High Blantyre on the former Hamilton and Strathaven Railway.
...

More details




Blantyre Pits Branch

This was a two platform station on a double track line. The station buildings were typical Caledonian Railway style with a footbridge at the north end. Hunthill Junction was not far to the north.
...

More details

The Blantyre Colliery was owned by William Smith Dixon. The 1877 mining disaster was an explosion at nos 2 and particularly 3 pits leaving 207 dead. ...

More details

The Blantyre Colliery was owned by William Smith Dixon. The 1877 mining disaster was an explosion at nos 2 and particularly 3 pits leaving 207 dead. ...

More details




Udston Colliery Branch

This was the signal box for Udston Colliery. The colliery was on the west side of the line and the signal box on the east side at the point of connection.
...

More details





Earnock Quarry Branch

This was the junction for the mineral line to Earnock Quarry, Stewartfield Quarry and Hartfield Quarry. From the junction the siding ran north east, passed through a loop, swung over the main line and ran west to a reversing spur with a loop near Udston. From there it continued to the quarries.
...

More details





Eddlewood Colliery Branch

This was the junction for the Eddlewood Colliery and Neilsland Colliery. Both were on the east side of the line and the branch ran north from the junction to serve the collieries.
...

More details






Quarter Iron Works Branch


This junction was north of Quarter station and was the start of a branch to the Quarter Iron Works. The branch was approached from the north.
...

More details





Fairholm Colliery Branch