Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was a large station of four platforms where four lines met. It had begun as a much smaller station with one platform.
The station had an east-west alignment. It was built to the north of the village.
To the north east the original line, the Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway), ran to Ayr Road, to the west the same original line ran to Cots Castle. To the north the new line, the Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway), ran to Larkhall Central and the same line south to Lesmahagow.
The station was enclosed between Stonehouse West Junction and Stonehouse East Junction. The line was double track between these boxes with an island platform on the north side serving two eastbound lines and a platform with a bay on the south side. The bay was used to allow southbound trains to meet connecting services at the station.
There was a goods yard on the south side of the station, reached by reversal from he west junction.
When first opened the station was a passenger terminus with only one platform, which later became westbound platform, with the goods yard to the south. There was a signal box from 1893, which closed in 1905 with the expanstion.
After expansion the other platforms were added provided with typical Caledonian Railway buildings as per the rest of the Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway).
The goods shed was stone and there was a water tank to the immediate west of the station building on the westbound platform. The westbound and eastbound platforms were slightly offset with the eastbound building being further west.
With the closure of the route from Dalserf the line was singled at the east end of the station and loop round the north side of the island platform removed. The west box remained in use.
Of this station only the north side of the island platform remains. The rest was obliterated some years after closure with the opening of a bypass road.
| Stonehouse East Junction|
Stonehouse West Junction
Stonehouse South Junction
Cander Water Viaduct
Cot Castle Goods
Overwood Quarry Siding
Avondale Colliery No 2 Pit
Canderside Colliery Nos 6 and 7
Canderside Exchange Sidings
Cot Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|