Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This line is closed. The line (actually a series of short connecting lines) was built by the Caledonian Railway who wished to improve their lines in the Larkhall and Lesmahagow area. The original lines in this area were built to carry coal and the passenger stations were inconveniently located, this new line connected together the most important towns and lines and provided an improved service to passengers.



The section of line between Merryton Junction and Larkhall Central has re-opened as the electrified Larkhall Branch.






Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Merryton to Stonehouse

Merryton Junction to Stonehouse East Junction.

This junction was north of Merryton station, (a new station dating from 2005).
...

More details
Demolition of the old girder bridge and decking at Merryton Junction before replacing with new concrete structure in March 2005. This bridge carries ...
Gordon Steel /03/2005
Looking south towards the site of Merryton Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford 2/5/2004
Disused building at Merryton Junction - signalbox base? The view looking north. The building has now been demolished. ...
Ewan Crawford 2/5/2004
On the first day of public service a train passes Merryton Junction joining the former Mid Lanark lines route to Larkhall Central. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/12/2005

This is a single platform station on a single track line. The platform is on the east side of the line.
...

More details
A Milngavie to Larkhall service makes its penultimate stop on 23 October 2018. I confess I had never heard of Merryton until the station opened: it is ...
David Panton 23/10/2018
Work continued day and night on the Larkhall re-opening. Merryton at night. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Merryton Station 6 and a half years after opening, the lovely coloured Broom in full bloom. ...
Gordon Steel 28/05/2012
Looking north towards Merryton station. Embankment preparation continues. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/03/2005


This is a two platform terminus of the line from Hamilton (Haughhead Junction).
...

More details
'The Second Coming and the First Going'. On the 12th December 2005, the first morning of services on the reopened line from Larkhall to Haughead ...
Gordon Steel 12/12/2005
'The Second coming and the First arriving'. 334040, on the first day of the reopened line to Larkhall, arrives at the terminus at 06.28 with a train ...
Gordon Steel 12/12/2005
Confusion for the few people on the platform as the 1133 to Milngavie is cancelled despite being neither late nor apparently sick. Perhaps it is a ...
David Panton 23/10/2018
318250, newly arrived from Milngavie, stands in the sunshine at the Larkhall buffer stops in April 2008. ...
Mark Bartlett 17/04/2008

Also known as Larkhall Viaduct, Avon Viaduct and Morgan Glen Viaduct.
...

More details
The two bridges over the River Avon in Larkhall, Broomhill Viaduct was the highest in Scotland and the nearer road bridge had replaced an older stone ...
Gordon Steel 31/12/2008
Looking south and off the Broomhill Viaduct (often referred to as Larkhall Viaduct). This is Scotlands highest girder viaduct. Today it is a ...
Ewan Crawford 2/5/2004
Looking south over Broomhill Viaduct (often referred to as Larkhall Viaduct). This is Scotlands highest girder viaduct. Today it is a dangerous ...
Ewan Crawford 2/5/2004
Looking south alongside Broomhill Viaduct (often referred to as Larkhall Viaduct). This is Scotlands highest girder viaduct. Today it is a dangerous ...
Ewan Crawford 2/5/2004

This was a double track eight span girder viaduct crossing the River Avon. It only ever carried one track.
...

More details
A postcard view of Stonehouse Viaduct looking towards the town. ...
H Miller //
Looking east at the dismantled Stonehouse Viaduct, once the longest viaduct in Scotland. The deck was removed in 1984. ...
Ewan Crawford //2004
Stonehouse Viaduct, looking towards the junction in autumn. The deck was removed in 1984. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Piers of the former Stonehouse Viaduct stand on the north bank of the River Avon in December 2005. ...
John Furnevel 12/12/2005





Stonehouse to Strathaven

Stonehouse West Junction to Strathaven Central.


This goods station was the terminus of a branch from Stonehouse Junction. It was to the east of the ruins of Cot Castle [Castle]. The station was simple, terminating in a pair of long sidings (probably a loop), with a short siding on the south side by the access road.
...

More details



This was a fine station. It was an island platform station. The station was to the south of Strathaven. The ticket and parcels office was on Station Road. It was similar to that at Larkhall Central and the remaining building at Hamilton Central. The station was below street level in a shallow cutting. Two bridges from the building crossed the eastbound line to reach the platform - one the ...

More details
The former goods shed at Strathaven in 1996 [ref query 24722]. ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
View west from the trackbed looking towards Strathaven Central from the former approach from Stonehouse. On the hillside above the lineside hut is the ...
Ewan Crawford 25/05/2005
Remains of the island platform at Strathaven. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Strathaven looking to Hamilton. Both the G&SW and Caley had booking offices here. Entry was from bridges from the left. ...
Ewan Crawford //




Strathaven link

This was a fine station. It was an island platform station. The station was to the south of Strathaven. The ticket and parcels office was on Station Road. It was similar to that at Larkhall Central and the remaining building at Hamilton Central. The station was below street level in a shallow cutting. Two bridges from the building crossed the eastbound line to reach the platform - one the ...

More details
The former goods shed at Strathaven in 1996 [ref query 24722]. ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
View west from the trackbed looking towards Strathaven Central from the former approach from Stonehouse. On the hillside above the lineside hut is the ...
Ewan Crawford 25/05/2005
Remains of the island platform at Strathaven. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Strathaven looking to Hamilton. Both the G&SW and Caley had booking offices here. Entry was from bridges from the left. ...
Ewan Crawford //



This was a single platform station. The platform was on the west side of a single track line. The station was to the east of Strathaven [Flemington] station which it replaced. The station was located in a cutting.
...

More details
View of the deck of the viaduct immediately south of Strathaven North station. ...
John Robin /04/1963

Looking south towards Strathaven at Whiteshawgate Junction in July 1953. To the left is the route for Strathaven Central and right for Strathaven ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 07/07/1953




Stonehouse to Blackwood



This junction opened in 1905 when the 1862 Blackwood [1st] branch of the Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway) was met by two sections of the new Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway). The 1862 branch was double track by 1905. Blackwood [1st] station closed in 1905 and was left on a short branch as a goods yard.
...

More details
Blackwood Junction. [Railscot note: looking south. Blemish on print.] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/06/1953
Blackwood Junction. [Railscot note: looking north.] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/06/1953




Blackwood to Auldton Heights

This junction opened in 1905 when the 1862 Blackwood [1st] branch of the Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway) was met by two sections of the new Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway). The 1862 branch was double track by 1905. Blackwood [1st] station closed in 1905 and was left on a short branch as a goods yard.
...

More details
Blackwood Junction. [Railscot note: looking south. Blemish on print.] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/06/1953
Blackwood Junction. [Railscot note: looking north.] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/06/1953

This was a single platform station with the platform on the west (town) side of the line. It replaced the [Blackwood [1st] terminus which became the goods yard.
...

More details


This was a single platform station with a large goods yard. There was land available for a loop and second platform. A loop was laid, taken out later, but the second platform was not built.
...

More details
The 'throat' of Lesmahagow station in 2000. The passenger station, a single platform, was on the line continuing south and curving off to the left to ...
Ewan Crawford //2000
Lesmahagow. CR 0.4.4T 55182 piloting standard 2.6.4T 80022 on Coalburn - Hamilton train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/06/1953
Lesmahagow. CR 0.4.4T 55182 piloting standard 2.6.4T 80022 on Coalburn - Hamilton train. [Railscot note: Blemish on print.] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/06/1953
Lesmahagow. 55182 and 80022 on Hamilton train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/06/1953

This large masonry viaduct, which crossed a river, road and part of the town, has been demolished. It was an eight span single track viaduct. The viaduct was just to the south of Lesmahagow station. ...

More details
42055 crossing Lesmahagow Viaduct. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/07/1953

This was a four way junction. The location was originally called Auldton Heights.
...

More details
View south at Alton Heights Junction in 1996. To the right was the original line running to Coalburn, to the left the line to Poneil Junction. Alton ...
Ewan Crawford //1996




Stonehouse Curve

This goods station was the terminus of a branch from Stonehouse Junction. It was to the east of the ruins of Cot Castle [Castle]. The station was simple, terminating in a pair of long sidings (probably a loop), with a short siding on the south side by the access road.
...

More details