Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
This is a four platform station with two bay platforms at the north end and two mainline platforms. There are three tracks between the main platforms. The bay platforms and northbound (down) platform are canopied.
The station was substantially rebuilt in 1878 a few years after the joint line opened via Barrhead. (See Kilmarnock [1st] for the earlier version of the station.) The original down side station building survived until the 1990s, just to the north west of its replacement. The rebuilt station is today's station although the south end bay platform, and island platform up platform's north / east face are now out of use.
The original building was in Georgian style. It was thought to be by James Miller and was demolished despite being listed. It was reminiscent of his work at Haymarket.
Kilmarnock Station Railway Heritage Trust - Storm in a Teacup Cafe is based in the station building.
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Riccarton and Craigie
Other railway and industry locations
Wabtec Rail Scotland Works
Kilmarnock Joint Goods
J. Walker Kilmarnock
Kilmarnock Joint Shed
Kilmarnock Water Viaduct
Kilmarnock Goods Junction
Long Lyes Sidings
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|06/04/1964||Glasgow Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr RailwayArdrossan Railway|
Irvine (Byrehill Junction) to Stevenston (Dubbs Junction) closed to passengers. Ardrossan to Kilmarnock service via Crosshill withdrawn.