South Side [CR] (1849-1879)
Opened on the Clydesdale Junction Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This terminus was located between the junction of Pollokshaws Road and Cathcart Street. The west portion was the terminus of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston direct Railway and the east portion opened with the Clydesdale Junction Railway.
The approach was from the south, the line turning east to meet the former Polloc and Govan Railway. It was briefly known as Gushetfaulds.
From 1849 this was the terminus for services from England. Joseph Locke considered the station not good enough and as soon as it was ready these were diverted to Buchanan Street.
Gushetfaulds Coal Terminal was laid out on the east side.
The station was the terminus for Hamilton [1st] and other local trains.
The preparation for the opening of the CGU led to the complete demolition of the east (Caledonian Railway) side of the station, that portion being replaced with temporary platforms to the south from 1873 to 1879.
Trains were diverted to Bridge Street and Glasgow Central in 1879.
(See South Side [GB and NDR] for more details.)
South Side [GB and NDR]
Main Street Gorbals
Bridge Street [Subway]
West Street [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow St Enoch
Other railway and industry locations
Gushetfaulds Freightliner Terminal
Eglinton Street Junction
Govan Iron Works
South Side Carriage Shed
Port Eglinton Goods
Eglinton Street Shed
Eglinton Street Tunnels
Port Eglinton Junction
Larkfield Carriage Sidings
Salkeld Street Parcels Depot
West Street Tunnel
West Street Junction [CR]
Glasgow Central Power Box
Cook Street Shed
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|