Buchanan Street (1849-1966)
Opened on the Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway).
This was a major terminus in Glasgow. It was located at the north end of Buchanan Street. This was the station for the north with destinations such as Stirling, Oban, Dundee West and Aberdeen. It is particularly associated with the 3 hour expresses to Aberdeen hauled by A4 Pacifics in the 1960s.
In late 1849 the Caledonian Railway opened the station to replace the small and inconvenient Glebe Street station, terminus of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway which was to the north east. The station was built on the site of East Cowcaddens Quarry.
The original terminus was a two platform station with a timber trainshed. One platform was used for arrivals and one for departure. Between the platform lines were sidings connected with turnplates. The station, from opening, became the main Caledonian Railway terminus in Glasgow and took the traffic from England. Buchanan Street Goods opened on the east side of the station in 1850.
Two additional timber trainsheds were added as traffic increased and services for the north were diverted away from Glasgow Queen Street High Level (particularly following the opening of the Hayhill Branch - Gartcosh Junction to Garnqueen North Junction - in 1866. With the opening of Glasgow Central in 1879 trains from England were diverted to that station. Approach to the station and goods yard was under Dobbies Loan and a three arch stone bridge carried the road over the trackbed.
An additional goods yard (a warehouse and potato shed) was laid out on the east side in 1909, approached by a new route from Buchanan Street Tunnel West Signal Box under Dobbies Loan, passing under a long girder viaduct.
The station grew to have five platforms, in timber. The original trainshed, and additions, were still in use in 1932/3 when station reconstruction began to built the station familiar in the 1960s.
A new building was erected at the station frontage and platforms and sidings altered to provide a six platform station. The platform canopies from Ardrossan North were re-used. Carriage sidings were laid on the north side alongside the terminus.
Buchanan Street signal box was at the throat of the station on the north side of the railway west of Dobbies Loan. On the east side of Dobbies Loan was Buchanan Street Shed, on the north side of the line. Beyond this the line was met with the Buchanan Street Goods lines at Buchanan Street Tunnel West Signal Box and entered the Buchanan Street Tunnel.
The goods yard closed in 1962. The passenger station closed in 1966. The remaining traffic was transferred to Glasgow Queen Street High Level, but with the demise of the Strathmore line, the eastern portion of the Oban line and other closures this was a consolidation of services at Queen Street.
The site is now student flats, Scotrail House (once the carriage sidings) and the Glasgow Caledonian University. A single short portion of platform remains in a car park.
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Buchanan Street [Subway]
St Rollox [1st]
Glasgow Central Low Level
Glasgow St Enoch
Charing Cross [GC and DR]
St Enoch [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
Other railway and industry locations
Buchanan Street Goods
Buchanan Street Shed
Buchanan Street Tunnel West Signal Box
South Spiers Wharf
Charing Cross Tunnel
Sun Foundry [Glasgow]
Port Dundas Mid Wharf
Port Dundas Swing Bridge
St Rollox Depot
Buchanan Street Tunnel
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
George Square [Glasgow]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Beattock to Glasgow (Buchanan Street) and Edinburgh (Lothian Road) opened. The stations at Abington and Elvanfoot on its main line are used by the lead mines and villages at Leadhills and Wanlockhead.
|01/11/1849||Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)|
Buchanan Street opened on a new extension which branched off at Milton Junction and ran parallel to the original line before passing under it and the Monkland Canal in a tunnel.
|/ /1854||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
The [Caledonian Railway] opens the St Rollox Works between the original lines alignment and the new extension to Buchanan Street. The works built and maintained locomotives and rolling stock.
|28/05/1858||Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Opened as single track from Cowlairs Junction to Bowling and Dalreoch Junction to Helensburgh. Due to a disagreement over station access charges between the company and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway the first trains ran to Buchanan Street using the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and a connection at St Rollox with the Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) line. The disagreement was resolved a month later.
|01/12/1866||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Passenger services start; bus runs between Hamilton and Ferniegair [1st] for route to Glasgow's South Side; the main route through to Buchanan Street. Blackwood carriage dropped at Southfield Junction and taken on separately.
|/ /1932||Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)|
Buchanan Street station re-built. New canopies removed from Ardrossan North on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
|/ /1962||Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)|
A4 Pacifics introduced on the Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street 3 hour Grampian run.
|03/09/1966||Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)|
A4 Pacifics from Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street withdrawn.
|07/11/1966||Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)|
Buchanan Street station closed; Buchanan Street to Sighthill East Junction closed.