Bowling

Bowling

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Bowling (1850-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.

Opened on the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway.

Open on the Glasgow to Helensburgh.


Description

This is a two platform station in the south of Bowling at at the north west end of Bowling Harbour.

The station had two NBR style station buildings. It was crossed by two footbridges - one between the platforms at the same location as at present - and another on a diagonal over the west end. The original signal box was on the westbound platform, just to the west of the station building. This was replaced, for the electrification, in 1959 with a new box at the west end of the eastbound platform. This also controlled the approach to Bowling Swing Bridge and Dunglass Junction. After 1960 Dunglass Junction was altered to make the approach to Dumbarton Central via Dumbarton East. This box closed with the Yoker resignalling.

Bowling was the eastern terminus of the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway with rails running to Frisky Wharf at the west end of Bowling Harbour. The present station, altered in 1858 for the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway, replaces the original terminus.

When initially opened passengers had to complete their journey to Glasgow by the River Clyde or the Forth and Clyde Canal.

The original terminus was described, in the Act which cut the line back to Bowling, as being in the environs of Frisky Hall. This hall, which no longer exists, was to the south of the present station. It was noted for the tall windows overlooking the River Clyde.

Running east from the station, along the north side of Bowling Harbour, was the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway which ran on to Cowlairs.

OS depicts the station following the line's extension. A two platform station is shown, to the west of today's footbridge, with a shed to the north served by sidings from the west, and one to the east. As described in the Ordnance Survey Name Book

A Station on the Dumbartonshire Junction Railway a little distance from where the Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway joins or changes its Name. The Station is about the point where the villages of Bowling & Littelmill join. There are Engine sheds here on the north side of the line.


The inspection before opening of the original line refers to Frisky Hall and the inspection of the GD&G refers to a double track junction, Bowling Junction and does not mention Bowling in the list of stations.

Local

The Forth and Clyde Canal starts from the east end of Bowling Harbour.

Dunglass Castle

Old Kilpatrick, Bowling and Milton Heritage Trail


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map





Dates

15/07/1850Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway
Opened from Balloch via Dumbarton to Bowling on the River Clyde, and beside the Forth and Clyde Canal. Steamers ran in connection with the line on Loch Lomond and the River Clyde.
28/05/1858Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway
Opened as single track from Cowlairs Junction to Bowling and Dalreoch Junction to Helensburgh. Due to a disagreement over station access charges between the company and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway the first trains ran to Buchanan Street using the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and a connection at St Rollox with the Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) line. The disagreement was resolved a month later.