Balloch [1st]

Location type

Station

Names and dates

Balloch [1st] (1850-1952)
Balloch Central (1952-1986)
Balloch [1st] (1986-1988)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway.
Opened on the Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Railway (Caledonian Railway, Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway and North British Railway Joint).

Description

This was a two platform station to the north of the level crossing over Balloch Road. The station building still stands. This was the main station in Balloch, Balloch Pier was to the north. Balloch, to the south of the level crossing, replaced this station.

The main station building, stone built and on the southbound platform, is of two storeys. This had several extensions, all of which are now removed. A timber extension parallel to Balloch Road extended the building. A brick extension, projected east from the north end. A canopy covered a section of the platform and a small modern glazed portion covered the waiting area/ticket window.

Balloch Shed, a minimal shed, was to the immediate west and there were extensive goods and carriage sidings on the east side, both were approached from the north.

A signal box opened in 1888. It was at the south end of the southbound platform alongside the level crossing.

A modern signal box opened in 1960, replacing the existing Balloch box (opposite) and that at Balloch Pier. The new box was on the west side of the line and just north of the level crossing at the south end of the station.

The line south was singled in 1973, the former southbound line being retained. After the singling, just south of the station the line doubled with the former northbound platform line continuing north to Balloch Pier.

The station was replaced a few years after the line to the pier closed (after which this station was a terminus, 1986 to 1988). With this station's closure there is no loop at the terminus, making the line only suitable for EMUs or 'top and tailed' (locomotive on the back and front of the train) tours.

Balloch box closed with the station in 1988.

The goods yard site is now a car park. The station building is a tourist information office.

Local

The former station is now the VisitScotland Balloch Information Centre .

Lomond Shores is to the north west of the former station.

Tags

Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67





Books


The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)