Opened on the Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway.
This is a two platform station with original station building and newer canopy.
The signal box at Milngavie was located to the south of a public park's access bridge near the station on the east side of the track. Near this point the single track becomes double approaching the terminus. To the west tracks diverged to the Ellangowan Paper Mill. This branch enclosed the turntable, the site of which is now a Kwik Fit garage. To the east of the station was the goods yard, now a large car park, and between the goods yard and the station was the single-road locomotive shed. A fence runs down the east side of the up platform (from the end of a stone wall which was part of the shed) to restrain passengers from falling onto the removed shed track. The station was originally three platforms. The third platform (removed in the 1980s) originally had a rounding loop. Two platforms remain today. The original station building also remains (plus 1899 canopy) with its flagstone floor. A new bypass road was brought through Milngavie from the old tram terminus to the station when the town received its pedestrian precinct. This has altered the fencing to the north of the station a little.
The original turntable was at the end of the branch, the north end of the station. Platforms 2 and 3 were added during the rebuilding which followed doubling of the line.
Other railway and industry locations
Ellangowan Paper Mill
Burnbrae Dye Works
Bearsden Bath House
St Germains Loch
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/08/1863||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Line opened as a single track. Stations at; Bearsden, Milngavie. The line ran from Milngavie to Milngavie Junction (later renamed Westerton Junction) with trains continuing to Glasgow Queen Street High Level until the Glasgow City and District Railway opened after which trains started to serve Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.
|/ /1899||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Milngavie station was re-built and a canopy was added to the original station building.
|24/04/1900||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
The line was doubled from Milngavie Junction to Milngavie.
|01/09/1913||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction RailwayGlasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Westerton station opened at the junction of the Milngavie line with the Singer line. Westerton Garden Suburb was being established in what was previously farmland to the north of the line.
|08/07/1930||Bennie Railplane Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Test track opened above the Burnbrae Goods branch of the Milngavie line.
Public enquiry for the National Coal Board's proposed Allander Scheme to mine for coal under Bearsden and Milngavie, no decision reached.
|/ /1983||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Track of platform 3 at Milngavie lifted.
|/ /1992||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Line singled from Milngavie Junction to just west of Bearsden and from just east of Hillfoot station to just south of Milngavie station.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways