This railway runs between Milngavie Junction at Westerton and Milngavie and has stations at Bearsden, Hillfoot and Milngavie.
The line is also known as The Milngavie Line and The Milngavie Junction Railway.
This line was promoted to service the mills of Milngavie and serve the houses which were expected to be built in the area.
The Service consists of electric passenger trains running half-hourly through Glasgow to Springburn. Services are operated by ScotRail on behalf of Strathclyde Passenger Transport. A Sunday service has started recently. There is no freight service.
|/ /1861||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1863||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Villas start being built by Bearsden station.
|28/08/1863||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Line opened as a single track. Stations at; Bearsden, Milngavie. The line ran from Milngavie to Milngavie Junction (later renamed Westerton Junction) with trains continuing to Glasgow Queen Street High Level until the Glasgow City and District Railway opened after which trains started to serve Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.
|/ /1873||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
North British Railway
Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
|/ /1880||Burnbrae Dyeworks|
Dyeworks opened beside the [Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway] by Thomas Reid. Served by a siding, Burnbrae Goods, from the line which originally joined facing south.
|/ /1899||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Milngavie station was re-built and a canopy was added to the original station building.
|24/04/1900||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
The line was doubled from Milngavie Junction to Milngavie.
|01/05/1900||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Hillfoot station opened.
|01/09/1913||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction RailwayGlasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Westerton station opened at the junction of the Milngavie line with the Singer line. Westerton Garden Suburb was being established in what was previously farmland to the north of the line.
|08/07/1930||Bennie Railplane Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Test track opened above the Burnbrae Goods branch of the Milngavie line.
|/ /1956||Bennie Railplane|
Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway
Test track scrapped.
|/ /1959||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Line electrified as part of the Clyde north bank electrification.
|/07/1959||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Failed class 303 blue trains, in use for driver training, replaced by British Railways Eastern Region Tilbury sets.
|/ /1960||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Ellangowan Paper Mill goods branch closed.
|/01/1960||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Class 303 Blue trains re-introduced.
|/ /1983||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Track of platform 3 at Milngavie lifted.
|/ /1983||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Northbound platform at Bearsden loses its building.
|/ /1986||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Hillfoot goods yard site cleared (loading bank and small shed removed) to make way for housing.
|/ /1988||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Bearsden station building rebuilt as a Beefeater restaurant.
|/ /1990||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
New station building at Hillfoot demolished after a period of time as a taxi company office.
|/ /1992||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Line singled from Milngavie Junction to just west of Bearsden and from just east of Hillfoot station to just south of Milngavie station.
|/ /1995||RAILSCOT Website|
Website construction begins with the [Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway] page
This line is in the north west of Glasgow. It runs from Westerton northwards on a meandering route through Bearsden to Milngavie. The line was originally single track, then doubled and now partly singled again.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This is a two platform station with the former main station building and a modern waiting room on the Glasgow bound platform.
Hillfoot station was opened after the railway was doubled between Milngavie Junction and Milngavie in 1900. The down platform building at Bearsden and the up and down platform buildings at Hillfoot were all of the same style. The southbound station building was the larger.
This branch ran originally from a south facing junction (which was modified to face north, joining the line just south of Milngavie station) to the [Burnbrae Dye Works]]. The Bennie Railplane ran overhead the west portion.
Near Milngavie the formation of tracks leading to the Burnbrae Dye Works lie under the Allander Sports Centre. Little remains of the works branch save a railway bridge over a stream which may be found to the north east of the Sports Centre. A single goods shed (now a "Kelvin Timber" outlet) remains at the dyeworks (site now occupied by the demolished bus garage). In June 1930 the [[George ...More details
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways