This is a two platform station with the former main station building and a modern waiting room both on the Glasgow bound platform.
To the west of Bearsden station the railway is single track from Milngavie Junction. Near to the station it becomes double. A long loop exists running from the west end of Bearsden station to the east end of Hillfoot station. Bearsden station originally had a signal box on the north side of the track before the station and a goods yard (for coal handling mostly) on the right. The points for the sidings faced west to Westerton.
The goods yard is now a car park (signal box closed in 1950, replaced with a ground frame released from Hillfoot). The original building was modified to become a restaurant in 1988. The down platform building was demolished several years previously. The up platform is the original single track platform. There was no loop as originally built. The line was doubled in 1900 and signal box opened. The road bridge to the east of the station (and much of the road from Anniesland to Bearsden Cross) was built to take trams, but a tramline was never opened. A footpath runs alongside the railway between Bearsden and Hillfoot locally referred to as the Jubilee Path.
The station's name was adopted for the town of New Kilpatrick after the North British Railway successfully encouraged house building in the vicinity (a system which had previously proven itself in Bishopbriggs). The station name came from a house in the locality (which was demolished to make way for the station). It was located in the car park to the west of the station building.
| Westerton Junction|
Knightswood North Junction
Burnbrae Dye Works
Cowdenhill Western Colliery
Knightswood Brick Works
Allander Sports Centre
St Germains Loch
Bearsden Bath House
New Kilpatrick Cemetery Antonine Wall
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1863||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Villas start being built near Bearsden station.
|28/08/1863||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Line opened as a single track. Stations at; Bearsden, Milngavie. The line ran from Milngavie to Milngavie Junction (later renamed Westerton Junction) with trains continuing to Glasgow Queen Street High Level until the Glasgow City and District Railway opened after which trains started to serve Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.
|/ /1920||Sir Harold E Yarrow|
Owner of Yarrow Shipbuilders Ltd, moves from Fairlawn, Ralston Road, Bearsden, to Craigend Castle.
Public enquiry for the National Coal Board's proposed Allander Scheme to mine for coal under Bearsden and Milngavie, no decision reached.
|/ /1983||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Northbound platform at Bearsden loses its building.
|/ /1988||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Bearsden station building rebuilt and enlarged to become a ^Beefeater^ restaurant.
|/ /1992||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Line singled from Milngavie Junction to just west of Bearsden and from just east of Hillfoot station to just south of Milngavie station.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways