A large ruined, with many fallen walls, country house with castle styling within the Mugdock Country Park dating from 1812.
The Smiths had lived at Craigend of Mugdock for many years. This house, replacing an older building, was built for James Smith, 5th of Craigend, to the designs of his cousin James Smith [Architect] . Builder Alexander Ramsay.
Sold in 1851 to Sir Andrew Buchanan [Diplomat] on the death of the unmarried John Smith, 6th of Craigend.
Sir James Buchanan, son of Sir Andrew, was followed by his brother Sir Eric Alexander Buchanan who died in 1928.
Home of Sir Harold E Yarrow from 1920.
A zoo operated from the house and its immediate grounds between 1949 and 1955, a tearoom being operated in the house.
The building was derelict by 1968. The nearby stables also became derelict but have been rebuilt as the country park^s visitor centre and tearoom.
Mugdock Country Park
| Dumbrock Siding|
Blanefield Print Works
Ellangowan Paper Mill
Dunglass Quarry Siding
Allander Print Works
Mugdock Country Park Visitors Centre
Dumgoyach Standing Stones
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1920||Sir Harold E Yarrow|
Owner of Yarrow Shipbuilders Ltd, moves from Fairlawn, Ralston Road, Bearsden, to Craigend Castle.