Tourist - Castles and big houses



Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.














Built for Donald Matheson.
...

More details

























The remains of this Roman Fort are to the west of Callander. The former Callander and Oban Railway runs to the south of the site of the fort and River Teith to the north. ...

More details


Bothwell Castle. ...
Ewan Crawford //1997























MV Balmoral calling at Carrick Castle Pier on 27/5/90. ...
Colin Miller 27/5/1990





























This is a largely ruined castle with a keep and two courtyards. Sir Walter Scott referred to the castle as Tillietudlem, thus the nearby station name. ...

More details









Model of Richard Trevithicks Penydarren locomotive at Cyfarthfa Castle. ...
Ewan Crawford //



















A very old defensive location, with use of the site dating back to the Iron Age. Much of what is seen today dates from much more recent times. The castle stands on a basalt plug, a high outcrop of sheer rock, visible for many miles around. It has a good overview of the surrounding land and River Clyde and the confluence of the Clyde and Leven rivers.
...

More details


Duncraig Castle, a baronial mansion, was built for Alexander Matheson in 1866 on his Lochalsh Estate. When new this was a remote and difficult to approach location.
...

More details



























The Flichity Estate was the home of William Beardmore, the famous industrialist. The estate was to lead to his title, 1st Baron Invernairn of Strathnairn.
...

More details


This mansion house was built to replace Fordell Castle which was nearby. The house has not survived, having been demolished in the 1960s.
...

More details
Bridge/tunnel which carried an estate road to Fordell House, demolished in 1963, over the Fordell Railway.
...
Bill Roberton 13/09/2016
Bridge/tunnel which carried an estate road to Fordell House, demolished in 1963, over the Fordell Railway.
...
Bill Roberton 13/09/2016


Looking east at the former Fort George terminus goods shed in Ardersier. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The former Fort George station building, standing alongside Station Road, Ardersier, in October 2005. ...
John Furnevel 31/10/2005
'Oh Grandma... what a big shed you have..' Looking east across Station Road, Ardersier, in October 2005 showing the enormous former HR goods ...
John Furnevel 31/10/2005
Looking east at the former Fort George terminus in Ardersier. ...
Ewan Crawford //














































This is a ruined freestanding four storey castle tower of the 16th century associated with the Napiers. It is located in the north of the remaining forested portion of the former Kilmahew estate.
...

More details






Home of the Templeton family, of Templeton Carpet Factory. Architect Alexander Thomson. ...

More details

















This was the home of Lady Ashburton. ...

More details






Also known as McDuff's Castle this ruin is to the east of East Wemyss on the shoreline. ...

More details



















This is a L-plan rubble-built tower above the River Tweed 1 mile west of Peebles. ...

More details
This was taken inside Neidpath Castle. Nearby the tunnel ran carrying the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway. ...
Colin Harkins /03/2006





































This fort was located on Antonine's Wall. There was an annex (extension) to the east. The fort may have been built on the site of an earlier Agricola period fort.
...

More details





















A former hunting lodge rebuilt in 1877 and rebuilt in 1906 after a fire.
...

More details














This is a large stone built castle on a promontory overlooking Loch Ness. ...

More details