Opened on the Sutherland Railway.
Open on the Far North Line.
This is a single platform station with a small shelter south of the Oykel Viaduct. It is in an area of scattered houses, farmland and low population. Culrain Mains is to the immediate west. The Kyle of Sutherland, the lower River Oykel, is to the east.
It was originally a single platform station with a goods yard on the west side, approached from the north.
A passing loop and second platform were added in 1902 along with a new signal box to increase capacity. The main station building was on the northbound, original, platform and each platform had a waiting room.
The southbound platform and loop closed in 1962.
The loading bank remains, much overgrown.
A railway cottage, now a private house, remains on the west side of the station.
It is possible to walk from Culrain north to Invershin station, around 1/3 of a mile away, there is a footway strapped to the side of the Oykel Viaduct.
To the west is Carbisdale Castle.02/12/2018
The Mound [Dornoch Platform]
Other railway and industry locations
Lairg Oil Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|