Sutherland Railway receives act to build a line from Bonar Bridge to Brora.
Bonar Bridge (Inverness and Ross-shire Railway) to Golspie opened with stations at: Invershin, Lairg, Rogart, The Mound and Golspie.
|/ /1871||Sutherland Railway|
|19/06/1871||Duke of Sutherland's Railway|
Golspie (Sutherland Railway) to Dunrobin opened, Dunrobin becomes private station for the Duke of Sutherland. West Helmsdale to Helmsdale opened. Highland Railway works line.
|/ /1884||Sutherland RailwayHighland Railway|
Sutherland Railway absorbed by Highland Railway.
|02/06/1902||Dornoch Light Railway|
Dornoch Light Railway opened from The Mound (Sutherland Railway) to Dornoch. Andrew Carnegie spoke at the opening (he owned Skibo Castle at Skilbo near Dornoch).
|/ /1912||Sutherland Railway|
Oykel Viaduct strengthened for ^Castle^ locomotives during 1912/1913.
Rogart and The Mound closed.
Rogart re-named Rogart Halt. (Later the name reverted).
First oil train runs to the re-instated facility at Lairg for the first time in 10 years. The service is operated by English, Welsh and Scottish Railway (EWS).
These locations are along the line.
This is a two platform station with a passing loop on the Far North Line. The northbound platform retains its two storey station building with a platform awning supported by pillars, now a house, and a goods yard exists to the south, west side of the line, currently in permanent way maintenance use. The station had refreshment rooms to the north of the station building. Platforms are linked by ...More details
This is a single platform station with a small shelter south of the Oykel Viaduct. It is in an area of scattered houses, farmland and low population. Culrain Mains is to the immediate west. The Kyle of Sutherland, and the lower River Oykel, are to the east.
The Oykel Viaduct is directly to the south of Invershin station and north of Culrain station. It is a single track 280 foot truss viaduct with two masonry arches to the south and three to the north, 80 ft over the watercourse. Also known as the Shin Railway Viaduct. (The confluence of the Oykel and the Shin is to the north, the viaduct passes over the Kyle of Sutherland.) The viaduct was ...More details
This is a single platform station, immediately to the north of the Oykel Viaduct with a short timber portion at the south end where the line rises on an embankment on approach to the viaduct. The station building is in a state of ruin. Culrain station is to the south over the Oykel Viaduct. The station has no car park.
A siding is reached by reversing from a spur off the southbound line of the loop at Lairg, south of the station. These oil sidings have seen irregular use with the flow from Grangemouth New Oil Terminal starting and ceasing several times. At present, 2018, the sidings are not used, oil travels by road.
This summit is 484 ft above sea level.
This is a two platform station with a loop on the Far North Line. A stone built cottage style station building remains standing on the northbound platform. The platforms were extended at their western ends in timber.
This was a two platform junction station - one platform on the main Far North Line (with a loop on its north side) opened in 1868 and a branch platform of 1902 (also with a loop, on its south side), located just to the south, on the closed Dornoch branch.
This is a single platform station which retains its station building, ^B^ listed, which is now a house after spending several years derelict and at risk. The building opened with the station, the architect was William Fowler. The building has a unique design, presumably with the Duke of Sutherland^s patronage in mind.