This was a terminus in the north of Dornoch. It was a single platform station with a locomotive shed on the east side of the line at the north end and a goods yard to the west of the passenger station. The platform was on the east side of the site alongside a rounding loop. Photographs of the station when open often show Dornoch Cathedral in the background, it was to the south of the station.
The station building still stands, on a long portion of the platform. Much of the site is now an industrial estate.
Had the Dornoch Firth Crossing been opened the railway may have returned to Dornoch, although probably not with a station at this site.
Dornoch Press, publishers of Railway Digest Scotland, were based in the station building.
The Dornoch Hotel was opened by the Highland Railway in 1904, two years after the station. It was opened close to the Royal Dornoch Golf Course with a view looking out over the course and coast.
It became a British Transport Hotel and was sold in 1965.
| Dornoch Shed|
Dornoch Firth Crossing
Golspie Burn Viaduct
Duke of Sutherland Monument
Dunrobin Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/06/1902||Dornoch Light Railway|
Dornoch Light Railway opened from The Mound (Sutherland Railway) to Dornoch. Andrew Carnegie spoke at the opening (he owned Skibo Castle at Skilbo near Dornoch).
|13/06/1960||Dornoch Light Railway|
Dornoch to The Mound (excluded) closed to all traffic. The Mound closes to passengers.