This was a two platform junction station - one platform on the main Far North Line (with a loop on its north side) opened in 1868 and a branch platform of 1902 (also with a loop, on its south side), located just to the south, on the closed Dornoch branch.
Water columns were provided on the platforms. The water tank was south of the station building.
The station building still stands, in use as a house. The station initially had one platform and was expanded when the branch opened.
The junction for the branch was immediately to the west and through running from Inverness to Dornoch was possible.
The goods yard, a pair of sidings serving loading banks, was on the north side of the main line loop and served from the east.
The original 1897 signal box was replaced in 1902 with the opening of the Dornoch Light Railway. The box was replaced again in 1919. The box was on the north side of the junction.
There was a viaduct over the Fleet immediately to the south on the branch and the station was named for the embankment upon which the road (and former branch) ran, just to the south.
The road bridge over the junction to the west of the station was replaced in 1939.
The Dornoch branch closed in 1960 and the station closed to passengers.
The signal box, goods yard and main line platform loop closed in 1963.
The main line remains open.
| Golspie Shed|
Golspie Burn Viaduct
Dalmore Signal Box
Dunrobin Carriage Shed
Dornoch Firth Crossing
Dunrobin Castle [Castle]
Carn Liath Broch
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Bonar Bridge (Inverness and Ross-shire Railway) to Golspie opened with stations at: Invershin, Lairg, Rogart, The Mound and Golspie.
|02/06/1902||Dornoch Light Railway|
Dornoch Light Railway opened from The Mound (Sutherland Railway) to Dornoch. Andrew Carnegie spoke at the opening (he owned Skibo Castle at Skilbo near Dornoch).
|13/06/1960||Dornoch Light Railway|
Dornoch to The Mound closed to all traffic.
Rogart and The Mound closed.