This is a two platform station with a loop on the Far North line. A stone built cottage style station building remains standing on the northbound platform. The platforms were extended at their western ends in timber.
Both platforms were equipped with water columns.
In the former goods yard there are camping coaches, on relaid sidings (SLEEPERZZZ A unique Highland hostel ). The goods yard was on the north side of the station and approached from the west.
In 1903 a run-away portion of a southbound fish train ran back to the station from the rising ground to the west and was diverted by the signalman to derail in the goods yard to protect a passenger train in the station.
The station had two signal boxes. The south box was at the west end on the north side of the line, alongside the goods yard turn out. The north box (Highland / Dutton Type 1 design) was at the east end, beyond a level crossing close to the east end of the loop.
Peculiarly due to the naming strategy for the boxes the south box was in fact north of the south box - although by rail the north box was closer to the ultimate far northern end of the line at Thurso and Wick.
The boxes closed in 1985 when RETB took over, originally controlled from Dingwall and now Inverness Signalling Centre.
The south signal box ('C' listed), now out of use and relocated further north to the northbound platform, survived until the introduction of RETB. The north box was east of the level crossing and has not survived.
The station is in the village of Pittentrail.
A rail served ballast pit near Rogart was closed in 1949.
| Dalmore Signal Box|
Golspie Burn Viaduct
Dunrobin Carriage Shed
Lairg Oil Depot
Duke of Sutherland Monument
Dunrobin Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Bonar Bridge (Inverness and Ross-shire Railway) to Golspie opened with stations at: Invershin, Lairg, Rogart, The Mound and Golspie.
Rogart and The Mound closed.
Rogart re-named Rogart Halt. (Later the name reverted).