This is the end of the Far North Line from Inverness, the most distant station from the rest of the network. The furthest north station is Thurso. The station is to the south of the River Wick, in the west of the town. The town has a considerable harbour on Wick Bay, built for the once large fishing fleet.
The station is a stone building with a timber all-over roof covering the buffer end of a single platform. The trainshed is a wonderful survivor. The wooden end screen is a little different to that at Thurso, having been either entirely replaced or cut back to remove the curved portions at either side. The former screen supports can be seen on either side. Wick formerly had a second platform, a bay, on the north side of the island platform with a looped line, but that line is lifted. This was the platform for the Lybster branch. The station was designed by Murdoch Paterson.
Wick had an extensive goods yard, now largely lifted and both the goods sheds have been demolished. The yard had around six loading banks.
The locomotive shed (Wick Shed) has been rebuilt as a supermarket. This was on the south side of the goods yard and approached from the west. Lines ran through the double track shed to the turntable.
There was a signal box at the west end of the station, opened with the line. It was replaced with a new box in 1893, on the north side of the line.
Wick was formerly the junction for the Lybster branch, opened in 1903. The junction was at the west end of the station with the branch curving to the south. The branch closed in 1944.
The signal box closed in 1977.
Welsh^s Crossing Halt
Roster Road Halt
| Wick Shed|
Bridge of Wester
Lybster Engine Shed
Wick Heritage Museum
Castle of Old Wick
Cairns of Yarrows Broch
Loch of Wester
Grey Cairns of Camster
Hill O^ Many Stanes
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/07/1874||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Line opened from Helmsdale (Duke of Sutherland's Railway) to Wick with stations at Salzcraggie (Private), Kildonan, Kinbrace, Forsinard, Altnabreac, Scotscalder, Halkirk, Georgemas Junction, Hoy, Thurso, Bower, Watten, Bilbster and Wick.
|01/07/1903||Wick and Lybster Light Railway|
Line opened from Wick (Sutherland and Caithness Railway) to Lybster.
|03/04/1944||Wick and Lybster Light Railway|
Lybster to Wick closed to all traffic (temporary, but final closure)
|01/02/1951||Wick and Lybster Light Railway|
Lybster to Wick; official closure date (already closed by April 1944)
|07/02/1989||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Ness Viaduct, Inverness, collapses, separating the Thurso, Wick and Kyle of Lochalsh lines from the rest of the network. Dingwall becomes the southern terminus, Muir of Ord closes (although served by a minibus) and becomes a train maintenance depot. Buses operate between Inverness and Dingwall while a new bridge is built.