Kyle of Lochalsh

Kyle of Lochalsh

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Kyle of Lochalsh (1897-)

Opened on the Kyle of Lochalsh Extension (Highland Railway).

Open on the Kyle Line.


Description

This is the terminus of the line from Dingwall. This terminus replaced the further east station at Stromeferry. The station is on a pier and is built in the Swiss Chalet style (reminiscent of the West Highland Railway built around the same time).

The station has two platforms - that to the west has a loop and that to the east a siding in parallel with it. Formerly the quaysides were rail served and some track and turntables remain embedded in the pier's cobbles and concrete. There was a major track rationalisation around 1985.

Kyle Shed was to the north and there were sidings to an Admiralty pier to the east of the station.

The pier was served by steamers to Skye and other islands. The slip, to the west, was later used for roll on - roll off ferries to Kyleakin on Skye. The pier is no longer regularly used by ferries to the Outer Isles, Ullapool now being used instead.

The Highland Railway owned the nearby Lochalsh Hotel.

To the north, on the east side of the line, the signal box still stands, now in use as rentable accommodation. Kyle of Lochalsh Signal Box Accommodation .

The Kyle Line Museum is based in the main station building.

Waterside Seafood Restaurant is located in the station building.

Local

Highland Council - Kyle Harbour


Tags

Terminus station pier

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67





Dates

05/07/1865Dingwall and Skye Railway
Dingwall and Skye Railway authorised Dingwall to Kyle of Lochalsh.
07/02/1989[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]
Ness Viaduct, Inverness, collapses, separating the Thurso, Wick and Kyle of Lochalsh lines from the rest of the network. Dingwall becomes a terminus, Muir of Ord becomes a train maintenance depot and buses operate between Inverness and Dingwall while a new bridge is built.