Attadale

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Attadale (1878-)

Opened on the Dingwall and Skye Railway.

Open on the Kyle Line.


Description

This is a very small station with a single platform. The original small timber building has been replaced with a concrete equivalent. The platform is on the south side of the line. From the platform there is rather a fine view of Loch Carron and the beach. There is no car park but there is space for a car or two to park by the station.

Historically there was a siding at the east end of the platform, served from the east and with a short headshunt. There was a signal box here, at the east end of the waiting room, from 1893, removed at some point. The siding was removed in 1979. The platform is on the south side of the line. The halt serves Attadale House, once home of the Mathesons of Jardine Matheson fame.

Attadale was proposed as a possible terminus of the line with a pier and large station with waiting and refreshment rooms. Fortunately this unsuitable location for a pier was not used (it would have needed considerable dredging or a very long pier) and the line was extended west to Stromeferry.

Until the building of the Stromeferry Bypass this was the end of the dirt road from Carron, with only the railway continuing on to the south west. The Avalanche Shelter to the south west dates from the extension of the road and its alterations to the established route of the railway.

Local

Attadale Estate

01/09/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Facilities

Gaelic name: Atadal